Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-07-2017, 10:08 PM   #1

Ouch - Real pain the in the wallet!

Had my TV in the shop today, getting it checked out before we head out on a long trip with the TT next week. Mechanic discovered the right front wheel was basically LOCKED by the brakes - rotor was damaged, had all kinds of high spots. From what they tell me, it was not going to go much farther before a high temp meltdown. Ooops, new brakes for both sides - rotors and calipers.

That bill hurt.

But I do feel a lot better about the trip, knowing this was caught and taken care of before we had to deal with a breakdown on the road.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:17 AM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the club. That has happened on 3 of my vehicles in the last several years. I'm convinced it is the result of the road treatment cocktail that PA and surrounding states have started using. It makes me cringe every time I see them out pretreating the roads.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:30 AM   #3

Your post clearly shows the importance of thorough vehicle pre-trip inspection. Glad it worked out for you the way it did. Would have been much worse if it ended up being a roadside breakdown with a tow...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:33 AM   #4

Did you notice anything prior to taking it in? From their description and diagnosis you should have. My daily driver caliper locked up a few weeks back and had the shop replace the all 4 rotors, pads and the caliper that was locked up. I could definitely tell it was the brakes. It would pulse when applying the brakes and I was getting a dragging noise from the locked up caliper...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
Did you notice anything prior to taking it in? From their description and diagnosis you should have. My daily driver caliper locked up a few weeks back and had the shop replace the all 4 rotors, pads and the caliper that was locked up. I could definitely tell it was the brakes. It would pulse when applying the brakes and I was getting a dragging noise from the locked up caliper...
They thought I should have noticed, but maybe not - most of my driving is really local short trips, in and around our city. If I did more highway driving then it probably would have been obvious.
Also, Midnightmoon made a good point: In addition to the crap PA and other nearby states are using for snow treatment, our roads are really bad. The joke goes that PA has 2 seasons: Winter, and road construction. Makes it tough to catch things.
But as Marcm157 pointed out, it also shows the importance of a pre-trip inspection!

Roger

Old 06-08-2017, 06:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
In addition to the crap PA and other nearby states are using for snow treatment, our roads are really bad. The joke goes that PA has 2 seasons: Winter, and road construction.
Roger
Being from right down the road in Harrisburg, I AGREE 100%.
All the road construction is to fix all the damage they cause during the winter.

I have been told that new stuff they are putting down is VERY corrosive. Maybe they are trying to help the auto industry sell more cars and trucks???

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
Being from right down the road in Harrisburg, I AGREE 100%.
All the road construction is to fix all the damage they cause during the winter.

I have been told that new stuff they are putting down is VERY corrosive. Maybe they are trying to help the auto industry sell more cars and trucks???
It looked like the problem started when the right brake rotor started to go bad. High spots all over the pad. I'd vote for the road treatment chemicals!

Roger

Old 06-08-2017, 06:43 AM   #8

I would have thought it would have pulled to the right a bit when driving. Glad you got it fixed.

I do a large portion of my own work. Every spring I go over everything. In may of 2016 I discovered that the insides of my front tires had excessive wear when I was inspecting my brakes. I knew I needed tires but this discovery led to 4 new control arms in addition to brakes.

I also discovered my muffler had rusted clean off at the exit pipe. I never realized it because at the time it had a cherry bomb on it and was quite loud already.

All in all I popped about $1300 and that was with me doing everything but mounting and balancing the tires and the front end alignment.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:09 AM   #9

Brake hoses are sometimes the cause for sticking calipers. With age, the hoses swell internally and don't allow the brake fluid to flow back toward the master cylinder when the brake pedal is released.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:29 AM   #10

I did a brake inspection on my truck last year before our trip and discovered my right wheel bearing hub was going bad. It was one that had been replaced under warranty when it had 49000 kms on it. At 182,000 kms I decided to replace both left and right hub bearings...I always replace things in pairs....did the job myself and saved a ton of money.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCx213 View Post
I did a brake inspection on my truck last year before our trip and discovered my right wheel bearing hub was going bad. It was one that had been replaced under warranty when it had 49000 kms on it. At 182,000 kms I decided to replace both left and right hub bearings...I always replace things in pairs....did the job myself and saved a ton of money.
I wish. I can do a lot of household stuff, but alas I must leave the automotive things to the experts.

Roger

Old 06-08-2017, 08:28 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
I wish. I can do a lot of household stuff, but alas I must leave the automotive things to the experts.

Roger
I do 90%+ of my own vehicle maintenance. I even have a lift in my garage. However, I stopped doing brakes myself a few years ago. I have a local guy here that will take the time to clean everything properly, lubricate the slide pins, flush the brake fluid, etc. Essentially, he will take the time to do the jobs correctly and I'll just throw a new set of pads on. When it comes to brakes, I'd rather just pay someone to do it right.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:56 AM   #13

A failed or poorly lubricated caliper is fairly common- doubt it's particularly due to road salt. PA pre-treats with salt brine, which is just a 15% concentration of the same rock salt they apply dry, so in the lower concentration it's actually less corrosive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
Brake hoses are sometimes the cause for sticking calipers. With age, the hoses swell internally and don't allow the brake fluid to flow back toward the master cylinder when the brake pedal is released.
The left rear caliper on my 06 F250 locked up twice in the last year. The mechanic at the Ford dealership told me about the brake hoses. When the service manager called me and told me my truck was ready, I asked if they checked the brake hoses. Sure enough, bad hose left rear brake. Had them replace the bad hose, no problems since.

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:05 PM   #15

Ouch - Real pain the in the wallet!

[QUOTE=etex211;531063]Brake hoses are sometimes the cause for sticking calipers. With age, the hoses swell internally and don't allow the brake fluid to flow back toward the master cylinder when the brake pedal is releaseQUOTE]

Correct and I will add that brake hoses also break at the bends and send very small pieces into the calipier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote