Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-02-2019, 04:11 PM   #1

pathfinder pulling jayco 154 - brake controller??

I've got a 2014 nissan pathfinder (GVWR 5913) with tow package and eas lift sway and w/d hitch and my question is about pulling a Jayco 154BH (dry weight 2520).

does this setup require any type of brake controller? I don't really understand what this is and is it an after market option to add on, etc.. For the lighter trailers like the Jayco 154, i imagine they don't have brakes on the trailer but i'd like some help understanding this?
arizona_traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 04:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona_traveler View Post
I've got a 2014 nissan pathfinder (GVWR 5913) with tow package and eas lift sway and w/d hitch and my question is about pulling a Jayco 154BH (dry weight 2520).

does this setup require any type of brake controller? I don't really understand what this is and is it an after market option to add on, etc.. For the lighter trailers like the Jayco 154, i imagine they don't have brakes on the trailer but i'd like some help understanding this?
They do have brakes, electric drum brakes to be exact. Yes you need a brake controller, that's what applies the trailer brakes. There are different kinds and different price points. Some Nissan vehicles have a plug that allow you to plug the controller in easily, my Titan did. I think the Pathfinder does too.

Most trailers have brakes, even uhaul trailers do, surge brakes. You want your trailer to slow along with the tow vehicle or else it's going to try and pass you when you slam on the brakes
ASTMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 04:28 PM   #3

pathfinder tow package

ok - is this what you're referring too (pic attached)? I see the 7 pin connector that came with the tow package. I wasn't sure if this just connects the turn signals or this is also activated the electric drum brakes.
Attached Thumbnails
pf.jpg  
Old 06-02-2019, 04:35 PM   #4

Quote:
ok - is this what you're referring too (pic attached)? I see the 7 pin connector that came with the tow package. I wasn't sure if this just connects the turn signals or this is also activated the electric drum brakes.
Well it does all that and should charge the trailer batteries. You would still need a brake controller though since the Pathfinder doesn't come with an integrated controller. Yes that's the 7pin plug.

The brake controller is what sends the signal back to the trailer brakes to activate them. Different controllers work in different ways. They differ in how they sense and choose how much force to apply. The controller allows you to fine tune the amount of brake applied to the trailer brakes. Too much and they lock up and the trailer becomes unmanageable, too little and your tow vehicle has to work harder to try and stop the trailer. You want the tow vehicle and the trailer to stop as one, equally.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-brakecontroller.aspx
Old 06-02-2019, 04:51 PM   #5

I think brakes aren't required on trailers under 3500#
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 04:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyabear View Post
Online it's says electric drum
Old 06-02-2019, 05:06 PM   #7

i agree that they are not required. I believe its state by state the exact number and Arizona is 3,000. Even though they're not required, does anyone have experience pulling without one with the setup i mentioned? I don't want to take a lot of unnecessary chances and wondering how big a difference adding the brake controller will make.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:26 PM   #8

Quote:
i agree that they are not required. I believe its state by state the exact number and Arizona is 3,000. Even though they're not required, does anyone have experience pulling without one with the setup i mentioned? I don't want to take a lot of unnecessary chances and wondering how big a difference adding the brake controller will make.
I think you would 100% be taking a chance towing that trailer with a unibody Pathfinder and no trailer brakes. You get in bad weather or have to make an emergency maneuver and you'll need the stability. Brakes allow you to control sway if needed also. Loaded for a trip you'll be 2500-3000lbs on that trailer anyway if that's the legal limit. That's 3/4 the weight of you Pathfinder trying to push the tow vehicle around.

The Pathfinder is a tow vehicle second and a passenger vehicle first. I want all the extra control I can get incase I need it. The controller is approx $100, seems like cheap insurance to me.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:07 PM   #9

thank you! that feedback is very helpful.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:17 PM   #10

Without trailer brakes you will massively over-stressing your brakes. Even if you don't have an accident because of long stopping distance your brakes shoes can overheat on a long down hill or heavy stop and go traffic.

Just imagine loading your car with 3,000 pounds of bricks and trying to stop.

You need a brake controller and if you don't have one, a weight distribution hitch. (WDH) Lots of discussion on both, use the search function above.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:20 PM   #11

Also I asked my brother since he tows with a Pathfinder. Adding a brake controller is easy. There is a plug under the dash and you buy an adapter that goes from the brake controller to the plug and you're ready to rock.

I'd get a proportional controller, Tekonsha are considered very good controllers and easy to use. I had a P2 before I moved up to my F250 that has a built in controller. It worked very well
Old 06-02-2019, 06:21 PM   #12

Ditto what ASTMedic said. Easy to install and not very expensive.
ekonkjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:07 PM   #13

Quote:
To put it in the simplest of terms what is your families life worth you? GET A BRAKE CONTROLER.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:28 PM   #14

X2 worth repeating,

" To put it in the simplest of terms what is your families life worth you? GET A BRAKE CONTROLER."

A WDH like Andersen is also worthwhile as it reduces sway, which can become uncontrollable and result in an accident.

All in it is not could you do it, it is not can you legally do it but can doing without a brake controller and a WDH result in a disaster!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyabear View Post
Yes they are it is 3000 lbs and that is one the premise your tow vehicle weighs 7400 lbs.. and I would never want to test that theory on a dare. You must have brakes on a trailer that is more than 40 percent of the tow vehicles weight.

Yes what is your family's life worth? Brake controllers are literally a hundred bucks..

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote