Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2021, 12:05 PM   #1

Problem with Blue Ox Safety Cables

Hello,
We just had a Blue Ox flat tow setup installed to tow our Ford Escape Hybrid behind our new Greyhawk 30Z.

The problem is that when the s-shaped hooks for the safety chains are attached to the hitch on the back of the Greyhawk chassis they get stuck and are extremely difficult to unlatch (we had to use a hammer to gently pound them out our first outing).

It appears that the hitch openings on the chassis are too wide to accommodate the small opening on the safety chain latch after they are attached (they go on with some coaxing).

I was thinking I'd buy some quick links that have a large enough opening to attach to the Greyhawk hitch and then attach the s-shaped hooks to those.

Anyone see a problem with this solution?

Thanks!
Robin N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:51 PM   #2

Just rotate the Blue-Ox hooks "outward".

I have a similar issue on mine, but if I push the gate down, then rotate the hook outward so that it's "unhooking" from the "side" of the hole on the receiver rather than the "rear" of the hole, it works fine.

I also hook up from the bottom. Process is this: push gate down, rotate hook away from receiver tube, push hook point down and inward through the opening.

Kind of hard to explain... If you're still having issues, I'll try to take a pic of what I'm talking about next time I hook up my cables, but that'll be 3-4 weeks from now...

Personally, I wouldn't introduce an additional potential failure point in there, but what you're suggesting may work just fine...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 04:15 PM   #3

Thanks for the info! I printed out your "instructions" for future reference.
Robin N is offline   Reply With Quote