Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-18-2016, 09:30 AM   #1

Problems unhitching

We just picked up our new 2016 284BHBE Eagle TT. Had no issues towing. Seems our problem is the camper doesn't want to come off our ball. We are using Equalizer WD hitch. The camper just won't let go like our previous camper did. If we raise the front tongue jack it will raise our truck. Had to back up slightly and step on the hitch. Then the truck dropped about 5 inches once it released. We lubed the ball the second time but still doesn't want to come off without work.
(Fyi: bars are removed prior to unhitching. )

Also when we raise the camper the axles make a popping noise. Is this normal? We never experienced that as well with our prior double axle camper.

Thanks
ParrishCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:50 AM   #2

We have the Equalizer WD hitch also. Seemed had similar issues when first purchased through first camping trip, dealer had just slapped it on when we picked up TT. I believe I resolved issue by re-setting up hitch ball height to match TT when level. Also been greasing ball, may not be part of issue but makes for much quieter ride around camp grounds before unhooking (also have the synthetic Equalizer pads below bars at TT connections

Larry J.
2015 SLX 264BHW
2007 Ram1500, 3.92, Overload rear shock/springs, Equalizer 1000, Brake Control
3 Prior TTs, 2 prior Pop-Ups
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:59 AM   #3

Since you seem to have experience with other TTs, I'll bet your coupler on your new Eagle is tight. It may be some of the paint inside is too heavy or manufacturing variations are too close. If it is like others on this site, it will loosen up after a while.

What I normally do when hitching/unhitching, is wiggle the tongue from side to side by pushing and pulling on the top of the tongue jack. As long as there isn't tension, forward or backward between the TT and TV, this usually helps. I have the Equalizer brand 4-point hitch, too, and with the load bars off, there really is nothing to cause binding between the ball and coupler.

TT leaf springs can be noisy. When unhitched, does it make the noise every time the tongue is raised and lowered or does just pop once while unhitching?

It's a simple mechanism, but if it worries you have your dealer look to be sure everything is tight and nothing is broken.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 03:57 PM   #4

I will have to check out Equalizer website on setup.
I think the nose of the camper is slightly down vs back of camper.

The noise the axle makes while lifting or lowering camper is a popping noise maybe every 2 inches up or down.

Can't take it to dealer seeing we bought in NC and brought it home in FL. If it's normal that's fine. Just making sure.

Thanks
Old 04-18-2016, 04:14 PM   #5

Just a stupid question..

It's the correct size ball right?

If it's the correct size, here's what I do.

Once you get the trailer in the site where you want it and it's level side to side (ready to unhook) AND you have your chocks in, put the TV in drive and slowly let your foot off the brake a little. Let the TV pull forward just a smidge. Then try to unhook. This should release pressure off the lock in the tongue. If this doesn't work, take it in for service.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:23 PM   #6

What some people don't realize is, when you back into a site, you're putting pressure against the tongue lock. And when you try to raise the trailer to unhitch, it's pressed hard against the lock and will lift the TV up in the air. Always release this pressure by putting the TV in drive and let it work forward. No gas...just a drift if you will. Just make sure you don't pull too far forward or your trailer could lurch backwards because it's chocked and resisting.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:24 PM   #7

I was wondering the same thing with ball size. Where would I find the coupler size on frame?

I assumed the dealer would have said something if it wasn't right size. But who knows. Our ball is 2 5/16th.

It's almost like the front of the coupler is catching the ball when lifting. I tried going forwards but what worked is going in reverse.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:29 PM   #8

These are great suggestions. Thanks!
Coming home we stopped at 2 different campgrounds. Both where pull thru so no backing into site. But had to put truck into reverse some.
We are camping this weekend. Back in site. So I will try.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:44 PM   #9

Is it also hard to hitch? I know that my our last TT had a bit of adjustment on the tongue lock, could be that it is too tight as well and just needs to be backed off a turn or two.

Just make sure that it holds the ball firmly in the socket when engaged.

Current hitch is a bit different, and I don't see how it can be adjusted, so may not be available on all types.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrishCamper View Post
I was wondering the same thing with ball size. Where would I find the coupler size on frame?

I assumed the dealer would have said something if it wasn't right size. But who knows. Our ball is 2 5/16th.

It's almost like the front of the coupler is catching the ball when lifting. I tried going forwards but what worked is going in reverse.

Is there any paint gathered on the front underside of the tongue? Put your hand under there and see if it feels rough or protrudes into the ball socket. When you say it's easier when you back up, that tells me that maybe the latch is bent and not retracting fully and you're pushing it back with your TV to where it should be. jmo
Old 04-19-2016, 03:48 PM   #11

I have this same trailer, except jayflight model and the same hitch. I also had the same problem at first. I just had to learn my trailer and find that narrow sweet spot for both hooking and unhooking. Give it a bit and you'll learn it.
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:10 PM   #12

I put a block a inch in front of my rear tire and another a inch behind my tire on the Tahoe and leave the Tahoe in neutral. The hitch will come right off.
rabalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:27 PM   #13

I'd recommend grease. What type and how much did you use. I use bearing grease, and a lot of it. I regrease about every 1500 miles. Since doing such, I have no hitch noises or issues.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:46 PM   #14

Same problem here. I lubricated the locking mechanism but found I still have to use a screw driver to push back the locking part. Once I do that the hitch releases the ball with no problem! Perhaps it will loosen uip with use.
Ronroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:54 PM   #15

It's getting better. Sometimes I still need to move sway bars to get hitch to pop. But is 80% better than it was 2 months ago.