Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2017, 07:50 AM   #1

Proper Tire Pressure for Load Range D Trailer Tires

I am confused about the proper tire pressure I should inflate my tires to when the load is less than the max load weight.

I see some advocate using the max pressure on the sidewalls regardless of load while others say to reduce it by the percentage of the max load you are carrying, which is it??

In my example I have a single 3500 lb axle trailer with LR D tires rated max psi of 65 and max load of ~2550 but my typical load runs about 3000 lbs when coupled to TV. The trailer originally had Load Range C OEM tires but replaced to D due to extended distance trips during summer.

I'm leaning towards 65 but don't want it to be over inflated for my load.
OregonPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:47 AM   #2

I always run my trailer tires at max inflation as checked when cold. You will hear differing opinions but the majority will say max psi.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I always run my trailer tires at max inflation as checked when cold. You will hear differing opinions but the majority will say max psi.
X2

Always run trailer tires at max psi.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonPerson View Post
I am confused about the proper tire pressure I should inflate my tires to when the load is less than the max load weight.

I see some advocate using the max pressure on the sidewalls regardless of load while others say to reduce it by the percentage of the max load you are carrying, which is it??

...snip
I advocate using the max pressure on the sidewalls regardless of load. Why? Because at that pressure sidewall flex is at its minimum so the tire runs cooler and helps reduce the likelihood of trailer sway (especially for TT). Also, every inflation chart I've seen from tire manufacturers (I certainly haven't seen all of them) show the tire weight carrying capacity is at its highest with the tire air pressure at the maximum shown on the tire sidewall.

BTW, if you estimate the load and reduce the pressure by some percent, but are actually carrying more load than you think you are (or the percent is wrong), the tire can be under-inflated. NO ONE I am aware of advocates that.

If you want to reduce the tire pressure below the maximum, do it safely: Check the manufacture's inflation chart for that specific tire and weigh to find the actual load the tire is carrying.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:31 AM   #5

I agree you should run your tires at max cold inflation pressure. However, one thing to consider when you go to a higher pressure rated tire is the pressure limit of your rim. Some aluminum wheels are only rated to 60psi and as you said a LR D tire is 65psi. In this case, you would have to run 60psi max. I also believe anything more than 65psi requires metal valve stems as the rubber ones can't handle anything more than that.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:12 PM   #6

Thanks everybody!

I looked on my rims and see max load of 2150 lbs but don't see anything about max psi.

I was thinking I could inflate to 65lbs psi and make sure my load isn't ever over 3500 lbs and I would be ok.
OregonPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:44 AM   #7

The max load on the rims of 2150# means they can handle 65# psi.

Air the tires up to 65# psi, and keep the trailer at or under it's GVWR and you're good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonPerson View Post
Thanks everybody!

I looked on my rims and see max load of 2150 lbs but don't see anything about max psi.

I was thinking I could inflate to 65lbs psi and make sure my load isn't ever over 3500 lbs and I would be ok.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote