Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-28-2017, 03:00 PM   #1

Propride Hitch experience

So I find myself considering a Propride hitch. I expect were going to be towing thousands of miles a season, so far we have been, in all different areas of the country, so the sway control is appealing. So is potentially being able to lower my tailgate while hooked up.

I am also really hoping that with the easily adjusted weight distribution bars, we will be able to solve issues we have with lateral expansion joints on concrete highways causing a very uncomfortable ride in the truck as the trailer starts bouncing in a harmonic motion on long stretches of road. I have played with my equalizer a lot, know I am returning decent weight to the front and have had 2 different TV's and this has still been an issue on certain stretches. I have even changed up tongue weights by adding/removing water and relocating gear, still haven't cracked it. South Dakota last summer was Brutal on I29, we had to slow down to below 50 to get it to be manageable. The rig tows like a dream once you get into the southern part of the country with asphalt roads, and it even tows on bad roads well, its just mainly when you get on the concrete roads that you run into this issue, and I think its really dependent how far away those joints are from each other. Some roads are fine, some are terrible. We have even had nearly brand new roads do it.

My hope is that when (not if, I have given up on if) this starts to occur en route, I can pull over and do a quick adjust to add or remove weight to the front axle and make it better for that particular stretch of road.

So, I am looking for thoughts on those of you with proprides in the upper midwest who may have experienced this issue, are you able to adjust it out quickly?

Also looking for any advice with those people with a 29BHDS or a 28BHBE (similar tongue) if you had any issues with installation, do the jacks clear the propane tanks, etc, any general regrets, etc.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:33 PM   #2

Propride

The Propride is great, it will work fine on your trailer. I had to raise the tray the propane bottles sit in, but its easy, just remove & put a couple washers under it. The bouncing problem I have not experienced alot, it has happened but just slowed down. Seems to me raising or lowering the jacks would just unbalance your rig & not correct the the problem. Your wheelbase must be just right, (or wrong), hitting the expansion joints.
Shiloh21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:44 PM   #3

We don't have many concrete roads around here in central NY, but I absolutely LOVE my ProPride! I adjust the jacks as needed based on how much water I am towing. If I run full I use 1 setting and on the way home I am usually close to empty so I back it off 1/2" - 3/4". Makes my Tundra pull my 28BHBE very nice! By far this is the best money I have ever spent on towing gear. I won't be selling it even if I upgrade to a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. The hitch is so smooth, so easy to setup, so easy to hook up and makes opening the tailgate no problem! You will not regret the purchase 1 bit. Plus moving the camper back about 1 foot might even make the wheelbase combo run better on the rough roads.

I had to move the propane tanks forward and up a little on my 28BHBE. Took my time and made it right.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1211.jpg   IMG_1212.jpg  

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:19 PM   #4

Propride Hitch experience

Although you weren't asking for input from other hitch owners, IMO what you describe is a harmonic issue that all of us experience at one time or another.

A different hitch MIGHT change it. Shiloh21 says that just like you, he had to slow down on a certain stretch of road. I'll bet he has a different truck, different trailer, and it happens on a different stretch of road.

Years ago, my DW (then girlfriend) had a Toyota Corolla I called the 'Japanese Jug Jouncer.' She found the ride in a certain stretch of road at a certain speed 'uncomfortable.' I had a hard time keeping my eyes off her when we traveled that road.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:58 AM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Not sure whether the Propride would fix the harmonic oscillation, but I have had my Propride from day 1 with this Jayco and have never experienced it. I suspect that it results from the spring rates on your shocks when going over the spacers which creates the oscillation when you are going at a precise speed. The Propride might change the speed at which the oscillation occurs (faster or slower) but I spent my university years in the wrong field to guestimate further.

Our Eagle 28BHBE has the fiberglass cover over the propane tanks which makes for tight clearance on the installed jacks, but it is possible using the installation specs from Propride. I had to drill a hole in the battery tray (explained here: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...ler-30257.html) to install the u-bolt for the jacks. I have also read that others have replaced the jacks with strap jacks. The same drill attachment and cordless drill that I use for the stabilizer jacks are used for the Propride WD jacks.

If you need pictures to visualize the explanation, send me a PM and I can e-mail you some.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Although you weren't asking for input from other hitch owners, IMO what you describe is a harmonic issue that all of us experience at one time or another.

A different hitch MIGHT change it. Shiloh21 says that just like you, he had to slow down on a certain stretch of road. I'll bet he has a different truck, different trailer, and it happens on a different stretch of road.
You are correct, thats what I am talking about. You are also correct I believe, it happens. I have had 2 different TVs, happened on both. Did some suspension upgrades on the old one, still happened. I have added shocks to the trailer (most recently) and still experienced it. I agree, its just a fact of life.

Unfortunately, we had a really bad experience last summer, hours and hours of having to go quite slow, and it was a LONG travel day as well, when we were going across South Dakota. Living in Iowa, our roads, Minnesota's roads, the Dakota's roads, etc are all going to be those wonderful concrete construction with expansion joints prone to doing this if things are "spaced" just right.

I was considering an airsafe hitch, but I am really not sold on it, and I really don't understand how it would allow weight distribution effectively (although it says it does). I don't understand how it can "lift" the vehicle without a solid connection to said vehicle. Honestly though, I would rather invest in something that controls sway like the Propride.

I did pick Sean at propride's brain a little, he knew what I was talking about and suggested that
1.) its probably a symptom of not quite enough weight distribution that allows that to happen, essentially things get spaced right and the truck and trailer start bouncing and "teeter-tottering" over the back axle.

2.) he pointed out that with the design of the propride and the jacks, WHEN this issue is experienced you can easily pull over and do an adjustment to increase or decrease the WD a little with a power driver or socket. I absolutely cant do that now, best I can do is dump water, shift cargo, etc. The Equalizer just doesn't allow easy on the fly adjustment like that

I have found a few reviews of the propride that mention smoother ride (not just sway) overall as well, which is encouraging.

I do appreciate all the feedback here. I am really seriously considering the propride option, it seems like a great product and more importantly great customer service. Does anyone know if they offer a 30 or 60 day return on it by chance? I couldn't find that on the website. I know Hensley does.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:06 PM   #7

We had the Hensley, which was designed by the same guy that makes the ProPride now...I think. I put it on our 25 foot TT after the cam type weight distributing hitch failed to stop sway from passing big rigs. I paid a premium for it, but after I put it on, I only touched it when I was hooking or unhooking it from the truck. Several thousand miles of blissful towing wonder---no sway from big rigs, and rock-solid in a crosswind. I was sad to let it go when we sold our TT, but knew we were going to a 5th wheel and didn't need it anymore.

If you get one, you won't regret paying the price they ask for it. The peace of mind and performance will be well worth it.
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:21 AM   #8

Check the for sale listing on here there is a used one for sale.. well worth the $$$ I have the Hensley Arrow only because I got a super deal in it from a local camper that bought a MH.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote