Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2017, 04:52 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Towing, I have used 4x4 a few times just to help ensure I didn't have a problem on questionable surfaces (ie wet grass, loose stones). I've never used it at towing over the road.

I use 4x4, too, when parking my TT next to the house; backing up hill on loose stones.
X3 or 4
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:27 PM   #22

Only tow in 4x4 if you're unluckily running in snow or ice (or mud.) the front wheels need a little slip or else you'll put too much stress on the front jack shafts.

I use 4Lo most times when backing the trailer into a site but the gravel roads in the campground provides just enough slip.

Craig Bailey
New Hampshire
Jayflight 32 BHDS
Chevy 2500HD CC
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:02 AM   #23

I only use 4WD occasionally for parking. I've never needed it when just towing. My F-150 is specific about not engaging 4WD when on pavement.

I use 4H a bit in winter just driving on snowy roads, and for the odd drive up a forest back road in the mountains. Used both 4H and 4L last week exploring back roads while camping in Colorado State Forest State Park.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:22 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolaw View Post
I have a Ford FX4 and reading the manual I can drive in all 4 mode at normal speeds so I started thinking it might be helpful in pulling the TT.

If the WDH puts weight back to the front would it make sense to drive in 4x4 mode?
NO! You can drive in 4WD at highway speeds if the conditions REQUIRE it... snow, dirt, sand, etc. You should NOT be driving in 4WD at highway speeds unless those conditions are met. All you will do is ruin your drivetrain.

Part 2... NO! It does NOT make sense to use 4WD simply because you use a WDH. All you are doing is putting MORE strain on the drivetrain with additional weight on the front on dry roads.

I would encourage you to study the 4WD system that you have and learn the appropriate time and place to use it. Its a pretty expensive system to destroy.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:27 AM   #25

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
What is everyone trying to proof here? If they read the vehicles owners manual or not.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:28 AM   #26

Quote:
For those who have a 4x4 do you pull your TT using your TV in 4x4 mode or do you keep it in 4x2 mode?

I have a Ford FX4 and reading the manual I can drive in all 4 mode at normal speeds so I started thinking it might be helpful in pulling the TT.

If the WDH puts weight back to the front would it make sense to drive in 4x4 mode?

Has anyone done this and what are the pros and cons?

Look at it this way, if your truck can pull 10,000# on 2 wheels, does it pull 20,000# on 4 wheels? If not then what is the point to run it on 4x4?
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:51 AM   #27

Our Yukon Denali has the same AWD drive train as a Cadillac Escalade so it is always on. I have noticed the front axle kick in a few times. Mainly when on dirt and accelerating. Back with the old TV (Chevy Avalanche) which had selectable 4wd including Auto Mode, I would just leave it in 2WD 99% of the time. Where it is nice to tap 4WD is when the ground is soft or wet. No sense digging up deep ruts that someone needs to clean up if you spin the rear wheels in 2WD. However going down the interstate was always 2WD with that vehicle.

As far as pros and cons. Really if you are talking highway speeds, there really aren't any pros. The cons are increased tire wear and worse MPGs.

If talking going across a wet field well that would be where 4wd would come in handy.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:54 AM   #28

I only used it twice. Once to back into a muddy site that was slopped and the first time when I brought my current trailer home and my driveway was still ice and snow !
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:23 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
NO! You can drive in 4WD at highway speeds if the conditions REQUIRE it... snow, dirt, sand, etc. You should NOT be driving in 4WD at highway speeds unless those conditions are met. All you will do is ruin your drivetrain.

Part 2... NO! It does NOT make sense to use 4WD simply because you use a WDH. All you are doing is putting MORE strain on the drivetrain with additional weight on the front on dry roads.

I would encourage you to study the 4WD system that you have and learn the appropriate time and place to use it. Its a pretty expensive system to destroy.
X2. My 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD is in 4WD AUTO at all times. As the name implies it's 2WD and shifts into 4WD when it senses a need, automatically.

I also have where I can shift into 4WD high range or low range. These are NOT to be used on hard surface roads towing or otherwise except in special conditions that others have stated.

Your manual should provide all the info you need.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:27 AM   #30

First and foremost, read your TV's owner's manual concerning the 4x4 system. It will tell you when it's appropriate and not appropriate to use your 4x4.

With AWD systems, as I understand it, the vehicle, ie the computer, will determine when to engage all 4 tires.

The 4x4 system on my F150 is a partime 4x4 drive. It's not meant to be on all the time. My manual tells me to never use 4x4 on dry, hard surfaces. The front wheels need the ability to slip. They can't do this very well on dry hard surfaces, and therefore will put great strain on the front running gears.

I use my 4x4 as most on here have mentioned. If I'm hooked up to the trailer and am either backing up a grassy slope that's wet, I will engage. If I have to transit some mud pulling the trailer, I will engage.

Otherwise, I will sometimes engage, when not pulling, when on a dirt road, in order to exercise the 4x4 system.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:35 AM   #31

TT 4x4

Bought my Ram 4x4 dully new in 2006 only been in 4x4 once.Probably in a place I should not have been! LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Storm.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:56 PM   #32

Quote:
For those who have a 4x4 do you pull your TT using your TV in 4x4 mode or do you keep it in 4x2 mode?

Has anyone done this and what are the pros and cons?
We don't use 4x4 over the road it would ruin it unless it is icy or snowy.
turbo130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:37 AM   #33

I use 4x4 when pulling our TT up our steep driveway when it's wet and backing down otherwise it's 4x2.
NCMFFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:01 PM   #34

So I had to read what is meant by FX4. As far as I can tell the transfer case uses some sort of coupling for the front driveshaft that only activates when needed. I could not tell if it is a roller type clutch, hydraulic clutch or torque converter type setup.

If any of those it really won't make any difference if you leave it in 4WD auto mode or not. The front wheels won't do anything unless the system senses a difference in axle speeds, ie, wheel slippage. If your rear wheels never lose traction it will not engage.

If anyone wants to describe what the exact system is, I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:11 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
So I had to read what is meant by FX4. As far as I can tell the transfer case uses some sort of coupling for the front driveshaft that only activates when needed. I could not tell if it is a roller type clutch, hydraulic clutch or torque converter type setup.

If any of those it really won't make any difference if you leave it in 4WD auto mode or not. The front wheels won't do anything unless the system senses a difference in axle speeds, ie, wheel slippage. If your rear wheels never lose traction it will not engage.

If anyone wants to describe what the exact system is, I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
I think you are pretty much right. I think a whole lot of sensors are monitored including the ABS sensors to determine wheel slippage and how much driving force(%) is transferred to the front wheels.

Couldn't tell you what type of system the transfer case is, I'd just be guessing.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:09 PM   #36

Most of the selectable "Auto 4WD" transfer cases are basically an electric shift motor actuator locking the front and rear together. It works pretty much the same as you reaching down to the shift lever of a manual transfer case and shifting it in. The difference is that it doesn't lock 100% all the time. It is a variable rate locking setup. The front differential will be engaged all the time when in Auto mode so you will lose a slight amount of fuel economy.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote