Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2015, 10:23 PM   #41

Wow, I did see where they include driver for the towing limit, but, as said above, the payload is GVWR minus Curb Weight, and DOES NOT include driver. I note when they do include driver, it is a 150 lb allowance. How kind of them...
Tim L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:45 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEscape View Post
On top of that, that F-150 hitch is likely to have an 1150# maximum tongue weight. So if the trailer tongue is that heavy, they can't carry it wether or not they have the payload.

Our tongue is 771# on our trailer and we have a slightly higher payload at 1522# in our F-150 SuperCrew with Max Tow. With cargo, 2 small adults and a couple small kids, we are at our rear axle rating and used up most of the payload. Not a snowball's chance in H-E-double hockey sticks could we carry a 1200# tongue weight trailer.
Thanks to everyone for your posts and I don't want to start an argument here, however, this tongue weight is one I find interesting. We are currently pulling a 24FBS which is about 1000lbs GVW lighter than the 27RLS we are considering. Taking 15% (the amount I keep hearing we should) of the 7400lbs GVW of our 24FBS, the tongue weight is 1100lbs.

Honestly, we have pulled this trailer through Banff (the rockies) and up and down the Alaska Hwy and it has never struggled one tiny bit. And neither my husband nor I are "light weights" and we also have a 90lb dog in the truck with is. So between the three of us, I'm sure we are well over 550lbs of folk in the truck. This trip was a four week haul and I mention that because we weren't exactly packing light, but in fairness, we only ever have a small amount of water in the tanks we we always camp in RV parks.

Now the 27 footer would increase the tongue weight by about 200lbs, so payload affected etc, but I'm just not sure this is going to make that much difference for this truck?
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:01 AM   #43

IMO - no 1/2-ton pickup will safely tow that trailer. Braking, suspension, and cargo capacity are all inadequate. The tow rating is only about how much weight the truck can PULL and has nothing to do with safely handling that much weight.

As a rule of thumb, if your trailer exceeds 25' in length and 6500# GVWR, a 3/4-ton truck or more is the only safe alternative. Again, just my experienced opinion.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:31 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykcamom View Post
Thanks to everyone for your posts and I don't want to start an argument here, however, this tongue weight is one I find interesting. We are currently pulling a 24FBS which is about 1000lbs GVW lighter than the 27RLS we are considering. Taking 15% (the amount I keep hearing we should) of the 7400lbs GVW of our 24FBS, the tongue weight is 1100lbs.

Honestly, we have pulled this trailer through Banff (the rockies) and up and down the Alaska Hwy and it has never struggled one tiny bit. And neither my husband nor I are "light weights" and we also have a 90lb dog in the truck with is. So between the three of us, I'm sure we are well over 550lbs of folk in the truck. This trip was a four week haul and I mention that because we weren't exactly packing light, but in fairness, we only ever have a small amount of water in the tanks we we always camp in RV parks.

Now the 27 footer would increase the tongue weight by about 200lbs, so payload affected etc, but I'm just not sure this is going to make that much difference for this truck?

First, you're just guessing at numbers. Maybe your trailer is lightly loaded. Maybe the tongue is 800# and not 1100#. Unless you take it to a scale, you won't know.

And the post above mine is exactly right. Being able to tow it and being able to tow it safely are two different things.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:54 PM   #45

Jayco site lists the 24FBS as 7000 GVW, and the 27RLS as 8750, so you are going up nearly 2000 lbs, and from experience, I can tell you that pulling wind is more detrimental than weight, and the 27RLS is considerably longer, and will have more negative effect than the 24 does. YMMV...
Tim L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:22 PM   #46

Yes, but ours is heavier as it has the Elite package, but I agree the 27RLS is heavier and longer. I do appreciate all the responses and we'll think very carefully before making the upgrade.
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:22 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEscape View Post
No it doesn't. The towing limit accounts for that, not the payload. The payload sticker on the door is what you can carry. That means ALL passengers (including driver), cargo, dealer installed accessories and anything you installed. The payload number on your door is the GVWR - curb weight. The curb weight is the weight of the vehicle with a full tank of gas and all fluids full; no people.
OK.

Stolen from the F150 forum:

The payload capacity DOES NOT include a driver. It DOES include a full tank of gas!!!

Take a look at this link:

http://fordf150lexingtonky.com/f-150...best-business/

Scroll down a short way to "Calculating Payload Capacity", and you'll see the payload capacity is the GVWR (max weight the truck can weigh all loaded up) minus the "curb weight". And it says the curb weight is:
"...the curb weight is the weight of the F-150 alone, without cargo or passengers, but including full tank of gas and fluids – on the curb, ready to go."
Every F150 has a sticker on the driver's side door with the GVWR, and on the tire pressure sticker you'll find the payload capacity. This is for each individual truck, and the sticker has the VIN on it. The weight of the truck as it comes off the production line with a full tank of gas is subtracted from the GVWR, and that weight goes on the tire pressure sticker as the payload capacity of that particular truck.

Now, as far as the calculation of "max loaded trailer weight", that is a whole different process!! Take a look at the statement on the bottom of page 2 on the link below, which takes you to a brochure with towing info for the 2014 F150:

http://www.eddieyaklinford.com/Media...4_f150_tow.pdf

The statement says:

"....Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight assumes......and driver only (150 pounds)...."

Bottom line - payload capacity is determined for a completely empty truck except for a full tank of gas (no driver); towing capacity, or max loaded trailer weight, is determined with a 150 lb driver.

Murff stands corrected... up to a point.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:12 AM   #48

wrap up

Just a note to wrap up this thread I started.

Just completed the first 125 mile, 1300 - 6800 ft elevation climb, fully loaded 27 RLS.

After towing it with the new Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel..... and thinking about what it WOULD have been like pulling it with my Tundra.... I now concur 100% with the people who recommend not pushing the tow capacity limit. Big difference.
2 x Golden Retrievers
dangerdave is offline   Reply With Quote