Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #1

Question....

Hi! I am new here and have been doing a LOT of research on TT's. I am looking to purchase my first, and after visiting MANY places and seeing many TT's, I have fallen in love with the Jaycos! I have not yet purchased one, but I am going crazy trying to figure out if I would be ok with my choice (I am concerned with weight). Maybe ya'll can help me out with some good information or possibly share the same TV/TT as I am looking into or if it would just be a bad idea to choose this TT I am in love with....

My TV:
2003 Ford F-150, 4x4,5.4L, supercrew Lariat, 17" Rims, tow package (It has a tow brake system).. I can get the rest of the stats later if those are necessary...
I have not gotten a tow bar/hitch yet, but plan on getting a sway bar.

My TT I am eyeing:
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26RKS - with the bunk beds option. The dry weight on this is 5970, but I beleive the one I am looking at with the bunks is a little higher, like 6200 lbs? (sorry don't have complete stats right with me)

I have a family of 4, my hubby and I and our 2 boys (10, 2). I am planning a trip across country in the summer to visit family for a reunion, but other then that, most likely most of our camping/travel with this will be weekend trips a few hours away. I don't plan to EVER haul it with my truck full as I know that is too much weight, plus with the 86 gal fresh water tank, thats just unecessary to travel with...we can fill up closer to where we are going.

My father told me I should be good, it shouldn't be a problem. We have a family friend with pretty much the same truck as mine (except his is 05' XLT, and mine is 03' Lariat, but everything else is the same), he tows a trailer that is 6700 Dry (maybe more?) and just went across country and back and said it hauled beautifully.

I was looking at the Lites/ultra lites and such at first, but the quality just isn't the same. Please help!! The dealers of course say it should be no issue, just don't recommend traveling with full tanks. I am not sure where to turn.

Thank you in advance for any advice/help.
DancinCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum, Cowgirl. I`m sure our towing gurus will analyze the numbers.....
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #3

Welcome. I can tell you that more information may be needed.

If you haven't already done so, you may want to read some of the "stickys" at the top of this forum. Definitely read these:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...uot-Tow-Rating
http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...n-I-Safely-Tow

The more information you can provide about your vehicle the better.
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #4

A few quick answer for you is:

1) Welcome to the Jayco Forum!!!!!
2) I tow a 2007 Jayco 25RKS with a 2006 F150 Lariat (which is fairly similar to your desired set-up) you should be just fine with the weight. The best answer will come when you can give us more details on the Truck with details about the motor (5.4L or ?) and if possible the rear axle ratio 3:73 or 3:55 or?

Good Luck and again Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum!!!!

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #5

I think its going to be close ... here is the info I found so far (still need to check my axle ratio, and if by chance I have a payload group? )...but here is the basic info I found ...

Truck is a 5.4 L Triton V8
GVWR - 6750
total weight - 5110
payload - 1640

my tire size is 17"

The GCWR is 12500 I think... its possible its 13000
Also, the Ford paperwork says the trailer towing is 7600/7100 -- dependant on of course the GCWR...I don't see this listed ON my truck, neither can I find the axle ratio? The sticker in the door says the axle is B6 ..whatever that means?
All of this is of course in pounds (lbs.)

Does this help?
Old 02-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quickly check

Payload 1640 - full tank of gas - WDH (~150) - passenger weights - any crgo - TT tongue weight

Looks like you could be pretty close to exceeding your GVWR

Most people try not to exceed 90% of GVWR

There was just a great thread on this subject too

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...hes-In-General

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #7

Did the 6200lbs for the trailer come from the yellow sticker on the trailer itself? You can't really trust "dry" weights as they usually aren't correct.
I am somewhat conservative, but this is very close to the limits of your TV. I could see that trailer easily approaching 7000lbs once loaded, you may be able to get a little lower, but it will be close to that.

Keep in mind, you max towing limit will be reduced by the weight of passengers and cargo in the TV. I have no idea what that would be, but let's say it's around 500lbs. If you take that off of the 7600, that brings you down to 7100.

You would also be getting very close to the GCWR: 7000+500+5110=12610

That is all assuming the high limits are correct, if the low specs are correct, you will very likely be over the limit.

AS Doug mentioned, I could see this getting very close to the GVWR of the TV also.
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #8

Is it a huge problem being close to max? Some people state those limits are of course for saftey and are a lot lower then actual capacity of a vehicle... not saying I like to get close or over, but trying to understand the reasoning to worry about being close. I could understand if we were towing regularly the wear it could have on my truck, and the safety of braking if going over lots of mountains/hills often, but if its occasional trips, typically 3 hours or less driven on mostly straight (no hills), it is going to be an issue?

And yes the 6200 (can't remember exact)was on the yellow sticker, everything online and from Jayco for the trailer's model states dry weight of 5970 which is innaccurate because the model I am looking at has bunks which raise the dry weight.
I do know we will probably be around 500lbs extra for cargo weight in TV...maybe slightly higher if I leave my tonneau cover on (hard cap), it has to weigh like around 100lbs.
We are not big packers, so I don't expect to haul too much other then full propane tanks, maybe 1/2 or 1/4 tank fresh water, and some clothes, stuff, I can't see that being over 1000lbs.

Also curious, if this is too much, what dry weight should I be looking for instead? Am I going to be stuck with either a small trailer or a ultra light? (If I didn't love my truck so much and have it paid off - it would be tempting to upgrade my TV, lol!! )
Old 02-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #9

It looks like the numbers as mentioned are probably doable, just know that going into this you are pushing the limits.

Rule #1 don't trust the dealers to help you decide if your truck can tow any trailer, they are trying to sell the trailer.

Now it comes down to how it feels once you hook up and start towing, for me, I can say I would not be comfortable pulling that combination of weight and length, but that's my opinion.

Don't be surprised to find that the truck you currently love becomes the "next on the list" to replace. Make sure you have an option to monitor your transmission temps while towing, it's easy to be able to pull the load, but to see really how much your truck is working can paint a whole new picture.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #10

Ok, still doing reaseach, and now I am a bit confused....I looked up my axle code and it is B6 — 3.73 limited slip (F-150, F-250), which means my truck is a 7700 payload group -- I am confused exactly how much I can tow now, because with that info, the specs say I can have a trailer towing of 8,200? and my GCWR is 13,500.
Maybe someone who understand vehicle ratings more can help me figure this out?? here is the link that has specs for 2003 ford f-150's

http://www.fordf150.net/specs/03f150.php.

I think I have already given all other identifiable info... my axle code is B6 on the sticker on the driver side door. I know from what I see in specs that means I am a 7700 payload group, but I really don't understand now how much I can tow....if this changes this (it changes it for the other models -- they can tow more). But it doesn't show any tow weights for a supercrew with this ratio.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #11

Ok, still doing reaseach, and now I am a bit confused....I looked up my axle code and it is B6 — 3.73 limited slip (F-150, F-250), which means my truck is a 7700 payload group -- I am confused exactly how much I can tow now, because with that info, the specs say I can have a trailer towing of 8,200? and my GCWR is 13,500.
Maybe someone who understand vehicle ratings more can help me figure this out?? here is the link that has specs for 2003 ford f-150's

http://www.fordf150.net/specs/03f150.php.

I think I have already given all other identifiable info... my axle code is B6 on the sticker on the driver side door. I know from what I see in specs that means I am a 7700 payload group, but I really don't understand now how much I can tow....if this changes this (it changes it for the other models -- they can tow more). But it doesn't show any tow weights for a supercrew with this ratio.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #12

Cowgirl,
Don't go by dry weight when shopping for a trailer. ALWAYS go by GVWR of the trailer because that is how much the trailer CAN weigh. Dry weight is how much the trailer weighs when it leaves the factory. It does not include LP gas, battery, clothes, pots, pans, plates, food etc. Nobody tows an empty trailer. If you have a trailer with a dry weight of 5900# and a tow vehicle with a tow limit of 6500#, it looks like (by the numbers) that it will work. HOWEVER, if the TT has a GVWR of 7000#, once loaded it will be over the tow limit. These are just numbers that I threw out here to give you an idea. I have had MANY arguments with RV salespeople about this. The most recent was a month ago at an RV show. Most if not all the trailers had the dry weight listed on them.

Now to your situation. Is your truck capable? Yes. However, the GVWR of the TT you're eyeing is 8400# according to Jayco's website. You have just over 2400# of cargo carrying capacity in the trailer. I doubt anybody loads 2400# of stuff in their TT's unless they're full timing. So, if you load conservatively, it can be done just know that you are at the limit. Make sure you have a really good WD hitch. I recommend the Reese Dual Cam set up. You can probably get away with using the 800# bars, however, if you step up to the 1200# bars, you will have room for a larger TT later without having to buy a new hitch.

I hope I didn't confuse you too much. If you need clarification on anything, let me know.

Good luck,
Dave
2016 Palomino Columbus 385BH "No Worries II"
2011 F-250 Super Duty Lariat, 6.7L PSD "The Mistress"
B&W Companion slider
mach8274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCowgirl View Post
snip....... but I am going crazy trying to figure out if I would be ok with my choice (I am concerned with weight)..... snip
The weights as I see them:

Your 2003 Ford F-150:
GVWR: 6,750lbs
Curb Weight (base vehicle, full fluids, 150lb driver.., not Total Weight): 5,110lbs
Payload (based on Curb Weight): 1,640lbs
Published Tow Rating: ?? (NOTE: Published tow rating isn't actual: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...uot-Tow-Rating)

IMO to reduce guess work, take your F-150 to a CAT scale under loaded conditions (fuel full, passengers, cargo, etc.) and weigh it. The CAT scale will provide you with your F-150's Gross Weight under loaded conditions. Then .........,

(F-150 GVWR of 6,750lbs) - (CAT Scale F-150 "Gross Weight") = Weight remaining for: TT loaded tongue weight, WDH weight, and any other weight not accounted for at the CAT scale.

2013 Jay Flight 26RKS:
GVWR: 8,400lbs
UVW : 5,970lbs
Ship Weight (yellow sticker): 6,200lbs ??? (I think it may be heavier)

Example, family of four, of moderate loaded 26RKS: (Ship Weight @ 6,200lbs) + (RV Dealer battery, WDH, etc. @ 125lbs) + (TT cargo, no fluids @ 800lbs) = 7,125lbs Loaded TT Weight

Tongue Weight @ 13% to 15% for 29ft. TT: (13% to 15% of 7,125lbs) = 926lb - 1,069lb Loaded Tongue Weight range

Depending on your personal loading habits your actual weights may differ.

Knowing your CAT scale results will bring confidence to your TT selection.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote