Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2015, 01:17 PM   #11

Good Points indeed. There are some real good deals to be had for under $8000 around here. It's just a matter of due diligence and knowing what your looking at I guess.

Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:13 AM   #12

I thought the same thing. I recently bought a 99 Suburban with 250k miles on it from a Chevy dealer. A little more assurance coming from a franchise dealer. I drove it 426 miles the next day and then back home two weeks later to "test" it. Found a lagging starter and some spark plug and wire issues. Since then I have put about 600 bucks into it doing routine maintenance issues. Biggest concern when I bought it was the transmission. I had it professionally serviced with a new filter fluid and seals. Tech told me if they all looked that good he would be out of business. I have towed my TT around home twice trying to find issues. Can't fin any. To we and drives like a dream. Outside is a little dinged up but interior is show room clean. It is a gas engine but somebody took care of it. I plan on towing 1000 miles each way in April. I guess it comes down to maintenance. Take care of them and they will last. I will find out for sure in April but I think I took a good gamble for only $2500.

tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:22 AM   #13

When looking for a new vehicle crawl under it. Look for any wet spots on the bottom of the engine and transmission. They clean the tops but rarely the bottom. There will be normal grime but look for anything excessive. If it hit the driveshaft you will see it sprayed on the inside of the frame. It's a real good indication of gasket and seal integrity. Also at both sides of the differential for the same indicators. Not necessarily a deal killer both some gaskets and seals can be expensive to replace so allow in buy negotiations.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:43 AM   #14

Well as for me mine is older ... I have a 1995 f350 crewcab dually with the 7.3 and manual tranny 178000 on the odometer. Traded a 2005 Yukon for it, and got 4500 dollars back. Since I have owned it the last 4 years I have done turbo boots, cheap enough,u joints and carrier bearing, new clutch and pressure plate, brakes all around,changed exhaust which didn't have to be done but I did it for giggles, new tires and shocks, and a fuel bowl on top of engine. Most of the stuff I did myself because I trust my work over most mechanics, nothing against them lol. I want to keep it maintained as most of the time when I am on the road I am pulling something pretty heavy, but if you buy something brand new you still have to maintain it and unless you are blessed to be able to pay cash for it you have a payment sometimes pretty hefty payment on top of that. my 2 cents
Old 02-15-2015, 11:45 AM   #15

I have over 100k on my current tow vehicle and am not concerned about going anywhere with it. I will be doing a trip to the east coast from MN next year towing my trailer. Keep it maintained, don't make it work extremely hard and you can make them last forever. My last one had 250k on it when I sold it, the only reason I did was because we wanted a new camper and it was going to be to big to tow with the truck I had.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:13 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabat View Post
I have over 100k on my current tow vehicle and am not concerned about going anywhere with it. I will be doing a trip to the east coast from MN next year towing my trailer. Keep it maintained, don't make it work extremely hard and you can make them last forever. My last one had 250k on it when I sold it, the only reason I did was because we wanted a new camper and it was going to be to big to tow with the truck I had.
I have a 2000 Silverado 1500 with 160,000 miles on it. Bought it used with 33,000 miles on it in '03. Added a Flowmaster exhaust and a K&N Filter system to it a few years back that greatly improved the power and increased fuel mileage somewhat. Have had to replace the fuel pump and power steering pump a while back and now the steering rack is leaking slightly, but other than the usual plastic parts breaking with age, it has been a great TV. Hope to hang on to it for a while because as much as we'd like a newer one, we just can't afford a new one right now.
jerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:59 AM   #17

I also am an owner of a vehicle with over 141000 miles on it, 2008 Dodge Dakota 3,7L that has been very well maintained. Preventative maintenance to some may seem expensive, but in the long run, just the opposite is true. I have owned big rigs as well and always liked and believed that when I left home I wanted to think I was coming back without any major breakdowns. Preventative maintance always allowed that to happen, or maybe I was very lucky.

Lynford is offline   Reply With Quote