Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2018, 10:26 PM   #1

Question for fellow 3.5L Ecoboost Owners

Did a search but didn't find anything.

Wondering if anyone here is running a Livernois tune on their 3.5L Ecoboost F150, and if so what they think of it especially in regards to towing.

I'm highly considering going with a Livernois tuner/tune especially since it appears it will also work for my 2.0L Ecoboost Fusion so 2 birds with 1 stone.

I know Livernois has a long and proven history of Ford tuning, but I'm really interested in real world opinions from actual users.

So if you're running a Livernois tune on your Ecoboost let me know the good/bad opinions etc in the comments below.

Thanks!!

JeremyFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:35 AM   #2

I'm running one from Torrie at Unleashed and I can tell you it is a totally different truck with a tune - whether it is economy, tow or performance.

Unless Livernois has found a way the tuner will only work on one vehicle at a time and can only be swapped between vehicles a certain number of times.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post
I'm running one from Torrie at Unleashed and I can tell you it is a totally different truck with a tune - whether it is economy, tow or performance.

Unless Livernois has found a way the tuner will only work on one vehicle at a time and can only be swapped between vehicles a certain number of times.
Yeah I see that now that once it's married to the VIN you have to unmarry it which removes the tune from the vehicle, I can live with fusion remaining stock as the tune for the truck is still very worth it it seems.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:43 AM   #4

My understanding is that a tune from any reputable tuner will really heighten the experience of the 3.5. I am running 5Star tunes which is probably the more "tame" of the options out there. However, through my research, I found that it reportedly performs the best for towing.

I can't attest to the other tuners, but if my 5Star tune is on the tame side...wow! It really is like a whole new truck. Best truck upgrade I have ever made.

As to multiple vehicles, I know my SCT tuner device can be used on multiple vehicles, but as you said, it must be "married/unmarried" to do so and you will lose the stored tunes from your tuner. I also believe you can only unmarry a predetermined number of times.
K2tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:14 AM   #5

I opted for the Roush tune because it was installed at the dealership and retained my factory powertrain warranty. It's a reflash of the computer, so there is no switching back and forth between tunes. I would say it's a mild-moderate performance/tow tune that wakes the truck up but retains good daily driving manners. The further you push the pedal down, the more aggressive it gets.

I have heard great things about 5 star and Unleashed, not a lot about livernois. Any way you slice it, these trucks respond well to tuning - just make sure it's safe!
Old 06-06-2018, 08:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2tiger View Post
My understanding is that a tune from any reputable tuner will really heighten the experience of the 3.5. I am running 5Star tunes which is probably the more "tame" of the options out there. However, through my research, I found that it reportedly performs the best for towing.

I can't attest to the other tuners, but if my 5Star tune is on the tame side...wow! It really is like a whole new truck. Best truck upgrade I have ever made.

As to multiple vehicles, I know my SCT tuner device can be used on multiple vehicles, but as you said, it must be "married/unmarried" to do so and you will lose the stored tunes from your tuner. I also believe you can only unmarry a predetermined number of times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
I opted for the Roush tune because it was installed at the dealership and retained my factory powertrain warranty. It's a reflash of the computer, so there is no switching back and forth between tunes. I would say it's a mild-moderate performance/tow tune that wakes the truck up but retains good daily driving manners. The further you push the pedal down, the more aggressive it gets.

I have heard great things about 5 star and Unleashed, not a lot about livernois. Any way you slice it, these trucks respond well to tuning - just make sure it's safe!
I'm leaning towards Livernois as they've been a Ford centered performance shop for decades. I'm familiar with them on the car side of things but they seem to have some solid stuff for trucks as well.

The other thing I really like is that they don't just focus on the engine but the entire power train, I also like that you send them your stock tune/paramaters and they taylor the tune specifically for your truck based off a general baseline they've developed through testing.

While the 3.5 is no slouch by any means especially towing my little 23' trailer, who doesn't like easy power adds . Livernois also offers a tune that increases power but also increases mileage for non towing applications that has my interest highly peaked. Currently we've been able to get close to 21MPG on a long trip (not towing) which hell ain't too shabby in my opinion but if I could get that up to 23-24 I'd be even happier.

I'm still hammering on the wife about it (she makes the financial approvals lol) so we'll see. We have an upcoming trip where we'll be towing from Washington down to Southern CA, so while I've had no issue towing comfortably on grades I feel like this would make towing the Siskiyous and Grapevine even more enjoyable.