Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-21-2021, 08:25 AM   #1

Question for those with truck caps

We're picking up our "new" truck tomorrow, 2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 LTZ. It has a cap. Though I'm not a big fan of caps (I sold the cap from my current truck right after I bought it), I'm also not a big fan of trying to sell one during Covid. So we're going to give it a go though at least mid-summer which puts 2 trips on it.

It's a 2 handled window and it does not come with the keys. The brand of the cap is not shown on the outside and I didn't look inside yet. There is a number stamped on the locks (which I didn't take note of when I looked at it). It looks like getting replacement keys or T handles is an easy thing. Trouble is this seems to me like the CH751 key, fairly generic.

I keep a lot of stuff under my locking hard tonneau cover. It's very secure and no one can see what's in there. So if you have a cap, do you feel it's secure? Are the keys as generic as I think they are? Do you have concerns that things inside are visible?
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:00 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Never lock it even in the cities, but then I live in the countryside (Canada). When I bought my truck new I had a tonneau cover and didn't like because of the low storage.
With a cap you can load er up.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Never lock it even in the cities, but then I live in the countryside (Canada). When I bought my truck new I had a tonneau cover and didn't like because of the low storage.
With a cap you can load er up.
Most of the time I don't worry, especially camping. But there are times I park in places that are questionable.

That said with a cap I can't have a load of stone or dirt dumped into it. I can't stand up inside when I'm loading for camping, especially with our bikes. And you're limited on load height for hauling large things.

That said I found a solution to hiding what's inside. I'm going to try tying a black tarp to the cargo tie downs.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:25 AM   #4

I had a few expensive fishing rods stolen out of mine and they broke my lock when stealing from me. I ended up using black spray paint on the inside windows to keep everything out of sight. I no longer have a topper though.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:58 AM   #5
CAG

I had a tri-fold which was fine for both the 5th wheel and covering items when the RV was not attached. It would have been no trick to get into but it kept things dry when they needed to be.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:11 AM   #6
Site Team

Ordering a cap for the new-to-us truck was the first thing I did. I transferred the Bedslide into the box after the cap was installed, so no climbing inside to load or unload gear. That was one of the best accessories I've ever installed.

As far as the keys are concerned, that number on the locks is the key code, but they aren't as generic as the 751 is. Ours also has the two latches, and they're keyed alike. A competent locksmith can cut keys for you, Most cap manufacturers offer replacement keys on their websites, and new T-handles are readily available if you wish to just replace them. Bauer makes 90% of the locks used in the latches., and their codes are Kxxx. Personally, I'd just have keys made for it.

Look on the inside sides of the cap for a serial number plate. That may have the brand of the cap on it. The major manufacturers are Leer, Jason, Century, A.R.E., Keystone, Ranch, Jeraco, Snugtop, and ATC. I probably am missing a few.

The items we routinely carry under the cap are covered by a piece of black material. That, along with the caps tinted windows makes the box appear empty.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Ordering a cap for the new-to-us truck was the first thing I did. I transferred the Bedslide into the box after the cap was installed, so no climbing inside to load or unload gear. That was one of the best accessories I've ever installed.

As far as the keys are concerned, that number on the locks is the key code, but they aren't as generic as the 751 is. Ours also has the two latches, and they're keyed alike. A competent locksmith can cut keys for you, Most cap manufacturers offer replacement keys on their websites, and new T-handles are readily available if you wish to just replace them. Bauer makes 90% of the locks used in the latches., and their codes are Kxxx. Personally, I'd just have keys made for it.

Look on the inside sides of the cap for a serial number plate. That may have the brand of the cap on it. The major manufacturers are Leer, Jason, Century, A.R.E., Keystone, Ranch, Jeraco, Snugtop, and ATC. I probably am missing a few.

The items we routinely carry under the cap are covered by a piece of black material. That, along with the caps tinted windows makes the box appear empty.
Much appreciated! This was very helpful. I'm probably just going to get the keys for it, although replacing the t handle locks aren't expensive.

I was thinking of an inside like you are talking about. I'm going to try a black tarp.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:27 AM   #8
Site Team

That would work fine. I think the stuff I have is a piece of felt-like trunk liner material, like they put in cars in the '60's, 70's, and '80's. Been so long ago I can't even remember how I got it.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:36 PM   #9

I just put on a Pace Edwards (Leer) UltraGroove electric Tonneau cover on our F450. 5th wheel fits under it, and it also gives Lockable storage when not connected to the RV. With the RV connected you can partially close it protecting item in the front of the bed.
Noblewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:47 PM   #10

I have a cap on my 99 Dodge 8' bed. I have it down to a 10min process to be able to pull it off if I need the full bed open. Mine has double T handle locks and like others posted Bauer makes a majority of the keys and locks. I've never had anything stolen out of mine. Even if its locked and someone breaks in to steal something, then they are bold enough to break into your cab and steal from there too.
Old 02-08-2021, 07:50 PM   #11
Site Team

I purchased a tri-fold for my short bed truck and it was perfect except I did not have enough clearance to fold it up when towing.

I exchanged it for a roll up cover and it's perfect. Keeps the bed out of the weather when not towing but rolls up out of the way when traveling.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:49 PM   #12

I swapped out the metal Peragon folding tonneau on the F-250 for a Leer 122 Hi-Rise cap. I wanted more height than the tonneau offered for cargo in a weatherproof environment. I haven't been any more concerned about the security of the cap vs the tonneau. Similar to JFlightRisk I use a dark colored tarp to cover things in the bed and the cap has tinted windows so it's not readily apparent what, if anything is in the bed.

Due to the whole Covid thing it took longer than expected for the cap to get delivered and installed but I did have it on before a 2 week trip we took last September and was a lot happier with the storing and management of the bed cargo than with the tonneau. My unscientific study of mpg seemed to show I gained about .5 mpg compared to the same route earlier in the year with the tonneau. I'm not concerned about removing it if I need to use the open bed as I've got a utility trailer for that kind of stuff.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:31 PM   #13

put in a bedrug... your knees will thank me!!!
and load it up there are 2 kinds one is carpet the other is a vinyl type covering... I like the carpet for the dogs I like the vinyl for just about everything else...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
put in a bedrug... your knees will thank me!!!
and load it up there are 2 kinds one is carpet the other is a vinyl type covering... I like the carpet for the dogs I like the vinyl for just about everything else...
I'm considering that. I already hate crawling back there.
Old 02-16-2021, 08:53 AM   #15

Chuck,

No cover for my bed, so I have no advice to offer. I just wanted to say congratulations on the new truck!

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 02:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Chuck,

No cover for my bed, so I have no advice to offer. I just wanted to say congratulations on the new truck!
Thanks! I'm still getting used it. It's so dramatically different from my old 2008 Sierra. I'm working from home right now so I haven't really driven it too much yet. But so far we really like it.
Old 02-16-2021, 02:58 PM   #17

I can’t have a cap because we tow a 5th wheel so i have a roll up cover. I also have an aluminum tool chest towards the front of the bed. I keep anything of value in it so if the cover is open or closed it’s still protected. Just my 2 cents in case you don’t the want the cap. Also congratulations on the new truck.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 03:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWedell View Post
I can’t have a cap because we tow a 5th wheel so i have a roll up cover. I also have an aluminum tool chest towards the front of the bed. I keep anything of value in it so if the cover is open or closed it’s still protected. Just my 2 cents in case you don’t the want the cap. Also congratulations on the new truck.
Thank you! If I do sell the cap later I'll get a hard tonneau cover. I had an Extang SolidFold on my old Sierra. I loved that cover.
Old 02-16-2021, 03:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
I'm considering that. I already hate crawling back there.
I have a cap on mine... I don't know how to camp without it.. load it up to go out for the day with gear/food. Dogs etc can ride back there as well.. they get wet? great I stay nice and dry.

you can load tools, etc.. it is just too handy for me... But I have an avalanche and a trailer to move tall and weird items...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 03:39 PM   #20

I have a topper on mine. I carry lots of tools back there so not having a topper isn’t an option for me. If I didn’t have to carry tools back there I could still use it on short trips to sleep out of when I don’t want to pull the trailer or pulling the trailer isn’t an option. A bed rug is definitely something to put in. Since I have tools and tool boxes in the back of my truck a bed rug isn’t an option for me, but I got the piece just for the tailgate. It makes it a lot easier on my knees when I hop up onto it.
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote