Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2015, 08:30 PM   #1

Question on Tahoe as a Tow Vehicle

I've been looking at Tahoes (2011-2014) to tow my X20E even though it seems to me to be overkill.

Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, receiver, connector, and setup for aftermarket brake controller come standard. What I'm wondering is if I need or want the HD Trailering Package. It takes the rear axle from 3.08 to 3.42, increases the suspension capacity, and adds a 2 speed autotrac transfer case. It also includes a factory brake controller.

Is there any reason for this trailer it would be important to get this, or would I be as well off without it?
stlsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:57 PM   #2
Site Team

Just my opinion. But I dont think you can ever overkill a TV.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:58 PM   #3

Welcome!

As for the Tahoe, first question I have is how many passengers do you normally have in the tow vehicle on a trip, and what is the approximate total weight of all? How much "stuff" will you place in the back when traveling: coolers, luggage, food, chairs, etc?

Look in the driver door jamb for a yellow sticker that states "All passengers and cargo not to exceed xxxxlbs". That is the max cargo capacity of THAT vehicle you are looking at (will vary due to different options on each different Tahoe). All passengers, cargo inside the Tahoe, any additional options added to the truck after it left the factory, the wd hitch, and the trailer tongue weight should not exceed that total amount. You stated the GVWR increases with the tow package? By how much additional? In looking up your trailer, if you loaded the trailer to the max gvwr (of the trailer), you could possibly have a tw (tongue weight) as high as 700lbs (4800lb gvwr x 15%). Add about 100lbs for a wd hitch, so abot 800lbs. Will the total weight of the passengers and cargo plus about 800lbs be less than the max cargo of the Tahoe as mentioned?

Also, what area do you camp in? I am not sure where Ballwin is. Is the area mostly flat, hills, or mountains? If it was me, I would go with the HD Package for the better towing gears (3.42), the higher gvwr, AND the factory brake controller. Usually the tow package included better engine and tranny cooling (for the trucks it did), but not sure if that is for the Tahoe also or not. We have the factory brake controller in our 2500, all I can say is it is almost non existent it works so smooth.

Good luck!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 01:51 AM   #4

Good advice there above!
Only thing I'd add is on this forum I've seen many people trade in their previously adored TT for a larger model, some even less than a year from purchase! So, While a 21 is able to be towed by many vehicles, going up in size and you would be better off with the heavier package. Doesn't hurt resale either.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:50 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlsailor View Post
snip....... 3.42, increases the suspension capacity, and adds a 2 speed autotrac transfer case. It also includes a factory brake controller......snip
stlsailer,

Welcome to JOF!

Yes, I would go with the Tahoe's HD trailing package. IMO if one's chosen vehicle model is going to be used as a tow vehicle, I would recommend configuring it with the maximum Payload Capacity package offered. "Available" Payload Capacity to often is the first vehicle weight limit specification that will be compromised under loaded towing conditions.

Also, I agree that the 3.42 gear would be the best all around gear for the Tahoe matched with the newer transmission, whether towing or not.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:58 AM   #6

Hardly overkill. Plenty adequate with a good safety margin for your X20E, assuming you don't overload the Tahoe itself. If you are used to driving small cars, it might look like a giant. It's not. With an HD tow package you'll have a better rear end ratio and you might find it adequate for your next step up.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:01 AM   #7

I thought for sure we were overspending and overdoing it when we bought a 2010 Suburban to haul our x20e. The car had a V8, larger engine, tow/haul, tranny and oil coolers...and was huge (compared even to our Caravan). But I'm glad we spent the extra money (the other 3 vehicles we considered were cheaper), and I've had drivers of huge construction vehicles tell me I made the right choice. It has the power to do what's needed on hills and to pass, and it gives me the confidence to know we're safe in those conditions.
John K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 12:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Welcome!

As for the Tahoe, first question I have is how many passengers do you normally have in the tow vehicle on a trip, and what is the approximate total weight of all? How much "stuff" will you place in the back when traveling: coolers, luggage, food, chairs, etc?

Also, what area do you camp in? I am not sure where Ballwin is. Is the area mostly flat, hills, or mountains? If it was me, I would go with the HD Package for the better towing gears (3.42), the higher gvwr, AND the factory brake controller. Usually the tow package included better engine and tranny cooling (for the trucks it did), but not sure if that is for the Tahoe also or not. We have the factory brake controller in our 2500, all I can say is it is almost non existent it works so smooth.

Good luck!
Good questions. Normally just my wife and I, and usually not a lot of stuff.

We may drive south (some hills), southwest (more significant hills), or through Tennessee (definitely noticeable inclines). Hills have been part of the annoyance with the 4Runner. For the Tahoe the extra cooling is standard even without the HD trailering package. What the HD package gets you is (1) factory brake controller, not just setup for aftermarket, (2) 3.42 rear axle, (3) 2 speed autotrac transfer case <I don't know what this does for you>, and (4) increased capacity suspension with an air leveler <I also don't know what this does for you>. I am surprised that a factory brake controller would be better than an aftermarket one, but that seems to be the consensus, though I'm not sure why.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:11 PM   #9

There seems to be a consensus that the HD trailering package is worth going for. That raises a few questions. The engine and tran cooler are NOT part of the package, they are standard. As to the items that are part of the package.

1. 2 speed autotrac transfer case with electronic rotary control. What does this do for me?
  2. increased capacity suspension with air leveler. Is anyone familiar with the air leveler?
  3. electric brake controller. There seems to be a consensus that the factory is better than the aftermarket. Why is that?
  4. 3.42 rear axle.

Replies have been helpful. I appreciate them!
Old 08-29-2015, 02:21 PM   #10

1.Nothing as far a towing is concerned,unless you get stuck.
2.The air leveling system is great,the rear shocks have built in air bags,The front struts have electronicly controlled valving(adjust the firmness).Overall the system works great.The only down side is when it's time for new shocks/struts $$$$$$.Oem or very very few aftermarket options.
3.The factory integrated trailer brake control will moniter the trailer sway and apply the trailer brakes to help stop sway.Some people love it,some people hate it.
4.Yes 3.42 gears,3.08's suck
5.No 4.8l is a gutless dog,
5.3l will do just fine,
6.2l would be best,however a few mpg's less than the 5.3l
WrenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 03:02 PM   #11

1. As mentioned, won't do a lot for you. A few times I have used 4Lo (transfer case) is when parking the trailer up on our mountain of boards (mountain of boards no longer needed due to bringing dirt in!) where we store it to level the trailer. I would use 4Lo to just be able to creep up the mountain without the need to give the truck much gas (accelerator). Very controllable that way. Not sure I have ever needed to do the same in the campground.
2.If it gives you more payload, then I say go for it! a 1500/150 truck/suv can and will run out of payload very quickly!
3. The factory brake controller is so integrated into the GM trucks it can not be added after the truck is built! It works so smooth, you can't even tell.
4. I towed ~7200lbs (last trailer) with a '10 Silverado 1500 4x4 CCSB 5.3/6spd/3.42. I may only be here in Mid-Mi towing (so far!) but I never felt a lack of power!!! Remember, you have a rolling brick behind you trying to cut through the air. Most of the time I stayed in 5th with a drop to 4th on bigger inclines. Couple big hills it was 3rd, 4th was ever so slightly dropping speed, but once in 3rd the truck picked right back up to 65-67ish and I could have kept accelerating beyond that speed if I wanted (actually saw 70 creep up before I realized! Lol).
5. As mentioned, don't consider the 4.8L. It would do the job, but be similar to what you have now climbing the hills. Don't think the 6.2L is available in the Tahoe, otherwise an even better choice at maybe 1-2mpg less than the 5.3L.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 03:58 PM   #12

Question on Tahoe as a Tow Vehicle

What do you tow your trailer with now? 3.42 axle and 5.3 (can't get 6.2) motor is limiting.... I love the look of tahoes but they are not towing much....
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 04:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
What do you tow your trailer with now?
2007 4Runner 4.0L V6, 3.73 axle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Don't think the 6.2L is available in the Tahoe, otherwise an even better choice at maybe 1-2mpg less than the 5.3L.
I believe you're right, only the 5.3 in the years I'm looking at.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlsailor View Post
2007 4Runner 4.0L V6, 3.73 axle.

I believe you're right, only the 5.3 in the years I'm looking at.

Well the Tahoe will definitely be a step up over a 4Runner. My dad has a 4Runner and they are nice but won't out tow a Tahoe...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:58 PM   #15

I have a 99 Suburban with the 3.73 and 5.7L engine and tow mine just fine with 3 people and about 200 pounds of scuba gear (for 2) in the cargo area. Fully loaded my trailer weighs about 3100 pounds. However my pinion bearing decided to give out last week. Its only got 256,000 miles on it. Currently its apart in my neighbors shop from our inspection to see just what gave. I'm replacing all the bearings and I am giving a lot of thought to upgrading the gear to the 4.10. Can't make up my mind. Gear will cost about 200 bucks and gas mileage will suffer even more but I will have really good torque. Do I need it? Not really. Do i want it? Yeah! You can never have too much torque and power when towing. Tahoes and Burbs are basically the same vehicles under the paint. The 3.73 has good torque. I can't speak for the 3.43, but I would think the 3.08 is a little weak. I think that particular setup is geared for daily driving by soccer moms. My vehicle does great towing 5-6000 pound stuff and toting a family and gear. You can't fill the Suburban. You'll over load the weight before you run out of space. My 99 has a 6500lbs tow capacity, and I think the newer ones have increased to around 8 or so???? That will tow a lot of different trailers on the market and won't even know yours is behind it. When looking at an SUV for a tow vehicle I gave a lot of thought into the family room and cargo I would be keeping in the vehicle. Kind of hard to tote bikes in (it can be done) but its great for scuba gear and other such things that I like to keep locked up and dry (groceries). Also it has a pretty big roof rack for kayaks, bikes, luggage box, etc. I'd rather have a vehicle over powered for what I use it for than one just getting by. I did that with my Escape. It pulled it, but it worked really hard to do it.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:18 AM   #16

Do the math to figure out your change in top gear RPM at highway speed. I think you'll find that the 4.11 is waaaay to much and will hurt fuel mileage a lot. I have not used this particular calculator but there are others too. In the 60s and 70s drag racers used gears like this or higher numerically to get the car off the line and reduce wheel spin on cars with bigger power, but driving them around would have the car in top gear when other cars were still in 3rd gear.

http://www.angelfire.com/fl/procrastination/rear.html
Old 08-30-2015, 03:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkdaddy View Post
Do the math to figure out your change in top gear RPM at highway speed. I think you'll find that the 4.11 is waaaay to much and will hurt fuel mileage a lot. I have not used this particular calculator but there are others too. In the 60s and 70s drag racers used gears like this or higher numerically to get the car off the line and reduce wheel spin on cars with bigger power, but driving them around would have the car in top gear when other cars were still in 3rd gear.

MOTOR - A Rear Axle Calculator
3.73's to 4.10's is not that big of a jump.I would be willing to bet in 99, options were 3.73's or 4.10's. My cousins 99 Silverado 1500 has factory 4.10's.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:08 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrenZ71 View Post
3.73's to 4.10's is not that big of a jump......snip
I would tend to agree with the older GM 4-speed transmissions (like my '02' 4-speed/4.10).

Thinking out-loud here...., I would think with the newer GM 6-speed transmissions a 3.73 gear would be plenty deep, possibly under some shifting conditions even similar (output ratio) to the old 4-speed/4.10.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
I would tend to agree with the older GM 4-speed transmissions (like my '02' 4-speed/4.10).

Thinking out-loud here...., I would think with the newer GM 6-speed transmissions a 3.73 gear would be plenty deep, possibly under some shifting conditions even similar (output ratio) to the old 4-speed/4.10.

Bob
I agree with you the 99 suburban is a 4 speed

The newer 6 speeds don't need as low of gears but in pulling conditions 3:73's would be nice.However gm did away with 3:73's in there 1/2 tons unless you get one with a 6.0 vortec max or 6.2 max trailering package.Im unsure on gearing as far as the 15+ body styles goes.

The 3/4 tons and 1 tons with the 6.0 had options for 3:73's or 4:10's.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:44 PM   #20

Well I talked with a differential guy today. This guy knows gears and such. I have the 4 speed tranny. He told me the 3.73 is plenty of gear to haul what I haul and a 4.11 would only increase my fuel consumption. I wouldn't gain enough to offset it. I Don't know about the New stuff. So I'm keeping my 3.73. He was also of the opinion that 3.73 was the best all around gear for these vehicles. Decent gas mileage with decent power. A really good compromise and he wouldn't go either way if installing a New one. He'd keep the 3.73.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tahoe, tow vehicle