Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2017, 05:33 PM   #1

Ram 2500 hard shift while towing 29.5BHOK

I don't know if this is a proper place for a question like this or not but i posted on a Ram forum and haven't gotten any responses.

I have a 2017 Ram 2500 cummins with about 6000 miles on it, 1000 of which have been with the BHOK attached. While using tow/haul mode and the exhaust brake in auto when i'm going downhill or idling to a stop the truck shifts really hard.

This is my first time towing something this large and i haven't owned a truck in 20 years. Does anyone else experience this issue while towing. I'm just wondering if i should take it in for service or if this is expected behavior.

How would the dealership even reproduce something like this, would i have to have the trailer attached and take them for a drive?
Old 08-03-2017, 05:40 PM   #2
dee

I am not sure as I haven't driven mine with that condition. I know the torque converter locks up very hard(notice it in 4th the most), but it seems like that is normal. My ram 1500 with the 8 speed was smooth as butter, but not heavy duty either.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:46 PM   #3
bap

Give these forums a check out and ask your question. There is a lot of Ram owners on there with a lot of knowledge.
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums
Old 08-03-2017, 05:49 PM   #4

I googled "hard shift in ram 2500" and got numerous hits, several indicated a valve body in the tranny may be acting up. Might lead you to some better info. GL
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:51 PM   #5

Thanks guys. I'm on the DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums site, i'll see about posting in the other one.

I too saw the valve body, but it was mostly on older model trucks, they do have the same transmission though. Guess i'll end up taking it in, just trying to figure out how i would get them to repro.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:10 AM   #6

I have the same trailer and same truck, but, a 2009. First, your engine is not broken in yet. When you get close to 50k miles you'll notice a big increase in mileage Second, keep in mind that this same engine and transmission that is in the 1T truck and is rated for even larger trailers than what you have. With that in mind the Tow/Haul setting is designed for even larger/heavier trailers than yours.

Yes, it does shift hard when in tow/haul mode. Most of the time I do not use the tow/haul setting, even in town. About the only time I do use it is in the mountains, ie, 6% grade and more. It just is not needed for this size trailer in normal towing. What is more important is to make sure you have the trailer brake controller adjusted properly.

Last, if your truck has a VGT turbo like my earlier model, then make it a practice to run it with the exhaust brake on all the time. This will extend the life of your turbo (specifically the exhaust brake section). The earlier models this is critical to long turbo life. Am not sure about the later models.

Bottom line is, yes, it is supposed to shift 'hard' when in tow/haul mode.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikefan7 View Post
I don't know if this is a proper place for a question like this or not but i posted on a Ram forum and haven't gotten any responses.

I have a 2017 Ram 2500 cummins with about 6000 miles on it, 1000 of which have been with the BHOK attached. While using tow/haul mode and the exhaust brake in auto when i'm going downhill or idling to a stop the truck shifts really hard.

This is my first time towing something this large and i haven't owned a truck in 20 years. Does anyone else experience this issue while towing. I'm just wondering if i should take it in for service or if this is expected behavior.

How would the dealership even reproduce something like this, would i have to have the trailer attached and take them for a drive?
Aisin or 68RFE? Ram has been flashing the systems over the past few years and adjusting the lock ups, so from year to year it may fluctuate for all of us. Once in a while mine will hard shift, but not regularly or very frequent. It's based on the load, pedal and speed in my case.

Might be worth a dealer trip.

Mine is currently in the shop for the DEF system update campaign that is going on in 2013-14 3500's. Another flash, new cat with adjustable sensors and supposedly lower MPG as a result. Who knows if this will affect the shift points again.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:14 AM   #8

I have a 2016 Ram 2500 Diesel and a FW about the same weight/length as yours. My truck does not shift hard coming to a stop loaded or unloaded. It's smooth and actually very nice. I only have 3,000 mi on my truck, so your trans has had plenty to learn. I would call the dealer and explain. Maybe they've had the problem before. If all else fails I'd hook up the 'ol camper and take the service manager for a ride.
davisenvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:40 AM   #9

Based on your description it sounds normal to me. In tow haul and with exhaust brake on it is downshifting when you apply the service brakes or coast though I haven't totally figured out the coasting part yet but it does seem to try and maintain that speed or slow you down even coasting. Once it downshifts the rpms go up and the engine braking gets more aggressive as well sort of a double whammy. Try without using tow haul and see how it behaves I suspect it will no longer shift hard coming to a stop or coasting but you also will be using your service brakes quite a bit more to get stopped.

If you are talking hard up shifting well that is something different and you might want to have it looked at as mine does not upshift hard.
barryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikefan7 View Post

We have an 06 RAM 3500 bought new.We always tow in tow haul.When I know I am getting close to a shift point I let off the throttle for a few seconds.Let it shift and hit the gas again.We too thought those hard shifts might be hard on the drive line!As far as engine brake if I going down say a 6% grade.Will set my cruse control at 50, so my engine brake kicks in at 55.My rpms very seldom exceed 2800.And do not need trailer brakes.Any ways works for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Cactus 011.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:14 AM   #11

My truck has the 68RFE.

I don't think the shifting is as hard with just the auto engine brake on in town without the trailer. However, i pretty much only run tow/haul mode when I have the trailer hooked, but I always drive with the exhaut brake on to keep it clean.

It's amazing how well the engine braking and exhaust brake work on this thing. I rarely have to use my brakes even going down some pretty serious hills. I'm very pleasantly surprised by this as I watched a few videos before I bought it of a comparison between Chevy and the Ram going down the same hill and the Chevy is steady and all of a sudden you see the Ram go flying by.

I need to take it in for its first oil change soon, so i'll speak with them. Thanks for all the replies, very helpful.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:32 PM   #12

My 33 RLDS is about the same dry weight as your BHOK. I pull with a big block gas engine and never use my tow/haul mode as it also makes it shift hard. Every GM truck I have had over the years makes it shift hard in tow haul. It shifts quicker probably to help reduce wear. I guess whether shifting is to hard or not could be subjective. My last truck I added a transgo shift kit and it was hard all the time. With tow haul engaged it was scary hard. Lol
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:20 PM   #13

This may be a long shot but here goes. We had a 2011 Expedition that we bought used with only 40k miles on it. After driving it a few weeks, I noticed the tranny downshifted very hard when coming to a stop. It almost felt as if I had a bad universal joint. I took it to the dealer expecting the worst (Although it was certified pre-owned). I was told the transmission is an "Adaptive learning" transmission. It learns to shift by your driving pattern/habits. Apparently the previous owner drove a little different than I did because all they did was reset the transmission to its factory setting and it shifted normal after that. There was no charge for the service call. Not sure if Dodge has a similar feature but it might be worth asking

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukeneck View Post
This may be a long shot but here goes. We had a 2011 Expedition that we bought used with only 40k miles on it. After driving it a few weeks, I noticed the tranny downshifted very hard when coming to a stop. It almost felt as if I had a bad universal joint. I took it to the dealer expecting the worst (Although it was certified pre-owned). I was told the transmission is an "Adaptive learning" transmission. It learns to shift by your driving pattern/habits. Apparently the previous owner drove a little different than I did because all they did was reset the transmission to its factory setting and it shifted normal after that. There was no charge for the service call. Not sure if Dodge has a similar feature but it might be worth asking
This would be very interesting. I drive it like a race car without the trailer, but like a 70 year old man with it attached.

I took it out at lunch with the tow/haul mode on and got it up to speed and then slowed down a hill. The shift is noticeable without a 10,000 pound trailer back there, but definitely not as bad. Added weight and all, guess it could be expected. I'll still ask them about it when I take it in for its maiden service.