Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-22-2021, 01:56 PM   #21

Have you tried truecar.com ?
Old 12-22-2021, 02:07 PM   #22

I'd go with the Ram 3500 SRW. That's what I have. Otherwise you're gonna be worried about payload when you bump up to a fiver. Get with the gooseneck already from factory. Get what you want now
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 03:22 PM   #23

The Ram 8 speed is a design they purchased from ZF transmission - ZF is the largest transmission manufacturer in Europe and makes transmissions for just about everyone. That 8spd is regarded as one of the best transmissions made today:

https://www.autotransrus.com.au/blog...-transmission/

I have the 1/2 ton w the 5.7, but also the 8spd. Trans tows excellent. Rest of the truck is pretty good.
shloubrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 03:59 PM   #24

If your not in a big hurry I personally would drive what a 3 of the big 3 offer and see which one I felt most comfortable in. As long as it's within the last 2 to 3 years old it will be pretty close to what your gonna get today. Anyway I would order my new truck just the way I want it. In my area new on the lot is next to impossible to get. When you do find one it's $3k to $10k over MSRP. I now of at least 3 guys I work with that ordered their new trucks just how they wanted them and got them for between $500 and $2500 lower then MSRP.

I personally prefer GM but they have the longest wait time and are changing their packages daily as for what's available in what trim levels. And you may order it with specific options now and they my change that package before you actually get the truck. They are also changing prices weekly and you will pay all the price bumps. If you opt not to pay the price bump they are fine with that they will just put the truck on the lot and mark it up even more. They don't care.

Most guys I know have opted for the f350 with the 7.3 gas. And almost all of them love the trucks like you most are not daily drivers they are TV primarily. They say MPG sucks but they will pull a house down the street... no major issues that I know of yet.

The 1 guys with the 2500 ram with the 6.4 had it in the shop for 8 weeks for a bad injector. The parts took that long to get. He got the truck back and it went back for a fuel pump the next week. That said he loves the truck it's nice and looks and comfort wise probably my favorite of the 3. He also ordered it just the way he wanted it and he had 2 price increases while he waited and paid both of them. He got all the equipment he wanted they didn't change his package. It took I think about 10 weeks to get it after he ordered it.

The 3 trucks you found in your area are likely trucks someone else ordered and got hit with price increases and backed out of the deal. Or couldn't get financing after the truck arrived. I'm guessing.. I've been told nome of the big 3 are getting dealer inventory right now it's all orders.

I would definitely order and I would go with the 1 ton from any of the big 3. They are all good in there own ways.
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 06:41 PM   #25

We just pulled the trigger on a 21 Jay Flight 25RB so I needed a new truck to pull it. Traded my 19 Ram Classic in for a 21 Ram Big Horn quad cab long bed. Darn near got what I payed for the 19! The only thing the Big Horn didn't have that I wanted was LED lighting so I ordered the 4 bulbs. Getting 22.8 MPG @ 70 MPH! I figure I'll probably get around 11MPG while towing on the flat as I rarely exceed 62 MPH while towing. Waiting for my Micro-Air which should be here next Monday. Merry Christmas everyone!
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 07:02 PM   #26

Hope you still have the Travelall-just cause!
1973 IH 1210 CC
1975 IH Travelall
1979 IH Scout II
[SIGPIC]
bstannard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 11:45 AM   #27

I'm not surprised that there are a lot of responses to your post. I may echo another's comments. Forgive me; I didn't read all of them.

You mention the tire/wheel packages being 20's instead of 18's. Look closely at the package...not just the wheels. It's likely (not guaranteed) that the tire circumferences on the 18's and 20's are nearly the same. The 18's are likely to be fitted with a higher profile tire....say a 70 or 78 instead of a 60. The 20's are likely to be fitted with 60 or 65 profile tires. The result is that the tire/wheel packages are essentially the same diameter/circumference from one to the other. That means the truck will be about the same height with either tire/wheel package.

That said, the 18 will be a slightly better "truck" tire, because the taller profile means it has more distance between the rim and the tread to absorb sharp-edge impacts. This difference is not substantial, but it can help in the really rough stuff.
OTOH, I have 20's on my RAM 1500 that are fitted with 65 profile tires, and they are more that beefy enough to absorb climbing curbs, rolling over sharp rocks, and so on. These are not "rubber bands" by any stretch (pun intended). All I do is boondock, often in some pretty harsh terrain, and I've never had a tire failure due to an impact. (Carpenters, on the other hand, need to learn to clean the loose deck screws out of their truck beds before they go camping!! )

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. The truck is very likely to sit at about the same height with 18's or with 20's. Double-check to be sure.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 01:20 PM   #28

Used HDs are silly expensive now. Saw a used one at a dealer optioned like I would like, 6,000 or so miles. The asking price was more than the original sticker price, even if you added our 5.5% sales tax to it. Got a couple of rebate offers from the dealer for $3,500 off any new truck in stock, including HDs. The only problem was the lack of new HD trucks. P.S. I didn't believe a dealer would ask more that the original sticker price for a used vehicle until I saw it for myself. Good luck truck hunting!
formerwsp520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 08:13 PM   #29

Silly me. I did not measure the height of the truck frame. I measured from ground to top of tire and the top of the tire of the 2020 was 2 1/2 or more inches taller than the top of the tire on the 2022. I will be able to measure the hitch height when I put it on.
Charlie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 10:40 AM   #30

Long rambling post replying to comments and observations.

Wish I had the old travelal. It ran good, but had servere cancer. You took a shower when it rained, and pelted when driving on gravel. It was a very strong truck.

As for the wheels, the18" & 20" are close to the same circumference. I had expected the same profile ratio. I guess alot of people replace the oem tire when new with larger tires, as I see so many new trucks with very large tires.

I am open to new or used. Since looking for a replacement truck, I noticed the local dealerships don't appear to have their full inventory listed on the web. I have been shocked by this. They appear to have 2-4 times than listed.

As for ordering, I'm not against it, but I have only owned one new vehicle ever, that is the Dakota, it too was cheaper new than used. I just have to decide to order, or kick some more tires. Its a mindset change. I did price out a 3500, that was built he same as the 2500. Pricing was about $5K cheaper. Only option I did not add was the "Sport" package, and did add the "goose neck 5th wheel" package.

I measured the reciever pocket height on 2500 and the Dakota. 10" difference. Currently I use a 5" drop with my utility trailer, would need a 15" drop (wow) The 23B, I don't know the drop as the hitch is with the tt for the winter. DW and I committed how would we get the ty home in the spring, if we traded in the Dakota. We have to be very level to not drag getting in/out of the drive. As we all but scrap now.

Happy Holidays to everyone.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote