Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-26-2022, 09:35 PM   #1

Ram I6 Cummins Diesels Feedback

What are your thoughts on the Ram I6 Cummings HO Diesels? Found a new TV, has all the features we want but the 6.4L gas engine. The HO, is a $12K adder ($$$$). Never owed a diesel, drove a straight truck 30 years ago, but I never had to deal with it.

Series of questions;
- What kind of fuel mileage?
- Frequency of oil changes?
- How noisy is a stock HO engine?
- What maintenence do they need?
- Any specifics about DEF?

Anything else I should know?

We are still working, and a normal year our current TV, acruls about 7K miles a year. I can buy a lot of gasoline for $12K, and difference maintenance costs.

Thanks

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 09:50 PM   #2
Site Team

I have owned 4 personally dating back to 1992. Great trucks all around. All of mine have been pre-emissions 5.9L's. But, I worked for many years in a diesel shop and had my hands on many 6.7L's

Not much to worry about other than oil and filter changes plus regular fuel filter changes. Engines are pretty much stone reliable in stock configurations. There were a couple of years, 2019 and 2020 that were equipped with a Bosch CP4 pump. Avoid those if possible due to ongoing reliability issues with the CP4 itself. Anything 2018 and older with the old design CP3 injection pump and obviously the 2021's and newer are preferred.

I can't comment on specific fuel mileage on these new ones, but my old 5.9's have always delivered upper teens for daily driving mileage and 11-12 towing travel trailers.

The new ones are quiet as can be.

Anything else you need to know, just ask.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 10:02 PM   #3

Thanks

This is a 2022 model. Preference would be slightly used.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 03-26-2022, 10:05 PM   #4
Site Team

I have another buddy looking for a late model used one as we speak. The cost difference between what he is finding and a new one is not much. If you find a new one that you like, that is the direction that I would go.

One more thing from your original post, they aren't picky about DEF. Any clean source DEF, Peak, SuperTech, etc. will be more than fine. I usually run Peak in my Sprinter just because it is usually what is on the shelf. But DEF is all made to a spec and as long as it is clean and fresh, it will be just fine.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 08:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
ThanksThis is a 2022 model. Preference would be slightly used.
My 2017 is a HO. Will pull a house off its foundation. I have the 4.10 rear end which is not the most fuel efficient but has the pulling power for my rig. 10 to 10.5 mpg while towing at 65 mph. 16.5 to 17 mpg not towing. Zero problems other than a few recalls.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 08:09 AM   #6

I have a 2016 Ram 2500 and use it as my daily driver. I average 15.8 mpg city 18.3 hwy (70mph) and 12.4 mpg towing our trailer. I change my oil every 12k miles and the fuel filters once a year. Other than normal maintenance and a oil pan gasket leak I have not had any issues. Yes the cost is high but night and day difference between gas and diesel. You don't buy a diesel for mileage you buy it for ease and peace of mind when towing.
Pwza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 09:07 PM   #7

As a current Ram 6.7 Cummins (2014 Mega Cab 4x4) owner as well as having owned the 5.9, here are a few things to consider:

1. Maintenance will be pricey. For oil/filter changes, parts will run you $150 for the cheap China made filters and regular Dino oil. If you have the dealer do the work, add another $200.

2. Everything on a diesel will cost more. The trade off is the truck, if properly cared for, will last 2 to 3 times longer.

3. The motor itself is a beast. The problem is that the EPA killed it with all the emissions crap. Emissions related breakdowns and repairs are hit and miss. If you do mostly highway driving your fine.

4. The truck itself is also a beast. The rear end suspension with no leaf springs is an awesome ride for a 3/4 ton. The 1 ton dually still runs leafs.

Everyone has a unique need or situation so take the info as a point of reference and make the best decision for you.
Frosty42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 01:49 PM   #8

I have a 2021 RAM SRW - Cummins HO

Absolute BEST vehicle I have ever owned.

Power is insane and fuel milage is acceptable

20 MPG Highway / 15-17 in town
12-13 towing boat
10-11 towing camper

Keep it at 65 and those numbers improve.

The ENGINE BRAKE on the Diesel engine is the real deal. One of the best parts of owning.

The $450 oil change, not so much. But it is a 15,000 mile service and as stated above I expect to drive this truck 10 years minimum.
Bill2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 01:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
The $450 oil change, not so much. But it is a 15,000 mile service and as stated above I expect to drive this truck 10 years minimum.
$450 oil change????????? Never have paid that much! Most RAM dealers have a FULL Synthetic Oil change coupon available for $110.00, includes up to 13 quarts oil and filter. See attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Synthetic Oil Change.pdf (305.4 KB, 23 views)
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 03-28-2022, 02:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
$450 oil change????????? Never have paid that much! Most RAM dealers have a FULL Synthetic Oil change coupon available for $110.00, includes up to 13 quarts oil and filter. See attached.

Thanks - Also other filter changes. I'd have to check to invoice to see what all was done.
Bill2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 02:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
Thanks - Also other filter changes. I'd have to check to invoice to see what all was done.
Yes, a fuel filter change for me is right at $299.00, usually every 12 months.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 03-28-2022, 03:59 PM   #12

Like Bill2e, we also have a 2021 RAM SRW - Cummins HO - crew cab w/ 8' bed Limited model. We to love this truck. Our previous was a 2000 Ram w/ 5.7 Cummins we had since 1999. That truck was a beast (we thought) w/ the banks kits, etc we did to it over the years. That was until we got this one. This one is at a whole different level for pulling power.

Our mileage is similar to Bill2e's:
We get ~ 20 - 22 MPG highway @ 75mph.
8-12mpg towing the camper @ 65 - 70mph. But the camper is 35' toyhauler that is 13.4' high & weighs in ~10K - 12K when we travel with it. With it's height, its like dragging a sail behind you. This was our average mileage on a 7.5K loop trip last summer from AZ to MT to WI to TN & back to AZ. So we had mountains, winds, etc.

This is our "retirement truck" & like our previous one, we plan on keeping it to for at least 15 - 20 years.

Turn off the lane assist if you get one though. That feature on this particular truck activates the "inside" front brake pad on the required wheel to to keep you in the lane. I noticed my road & city mileage went up by 3 -4 mpg when I turned this feature off. Also, when towing it becomes the tail waging the dog as the truck computer is trying to compensate for the trailer moving. Found that out 1st time out with the camper in tow. Once turned off, tow straight & smooth from then on.
AZMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 08:01 PM   #13

Even though I own a 2015 6.6L Duramax, I can still help answer some of your questions.
I do also own a 1999 5.9L Cummins that I've had from day one.

1. Fuel mileage; my 99 would get around 23mpg on the highway, until.they went to ULSD fuel back in late 02. I don't think any of them will get that kind of mileage because of the ULSD fuel and the way the EPA has them choked down. My Duramax towing our Northpoint gets around 10mpg running 72mph and relatively flat ground. Head wind and watch MPG go right out the window. I have friends that have a newer Cummins and they do get a little better MPG towing a comparable trailer, but not much.
2. Frequency of oil changes; that's a different can of worms to open. My $.02, synthetic oil will hold up longer than dino oil. Regardless of what you use for oil, DON'T GO CHEAP ON THE FILTER(S). The best oil in it won't hold up worth a crap if you use cheap, ineffective filters. You'll need to do some homework on this subject. Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one.
3. Engine noise; my Cummins is an old school rattle trap, even when it was stock. It's highly modified now and you almost need ear plugs the exhaust is loud and the compound twin turbo set up it runs sounds like a fighter jet. Comparing modified apples, a cummins is hands down the most ignorant loud among the others. Stock, a Cummins is a little bit louder than my Duramax. However a new Cummins is quieter than my bone stock Yukon with a 5.3l gas engine in it. New diesels are incredibly quiet.
4. Maintenance; you don't have to worry about spark plugs and wires tune up. A Cummins does not have glow plugs and a Cummins doesn't have a timing chain either. It does have a fuel filter/water separator that gas engines don't have. Get fuel from a place that turns volume. Truck stops are best. I run an aftermarket fuel system on my Cummins and was found out over time I was changing filters too often. I get good fuel. I recently added an aftermarket fuel pump to my Duramax which required dropping the fuel tank and I changed the fuel filter. Truck has 22k on the clock and my filter didn't have one spec of water in the filter or tank and the tank inside was so clean you could eat out of it. The filter was 6.5 yrs old and was the original filter put on it when it rolled down the assembly line. Get good fuel, use good filters.
5. DEF; it does have a shelf life, but these days that's not an issue. DEF is becoming harder to get in the stores. Get it at the truck stop where you get your fuel. It's a fraction of the price and again it's always fresh because the truckers use it.
DON'T SPILL IT!!! Its corrosive. If you do spill it, rinse it off immediately.
When your truck goes into regen mode you'll see your MPG go down and your exhaust gets HOT. Stay clear of the tail pipe when it regen's too.
When it comes to towing, you can't out pull a diesel. The extra $12k,... pull the trigger and be done with it. Go big or go home! Lol! Besides, if you by very slim chance don't like it, the diesel market is so hot you can sell it for more than what you paid for it.
Old 03-29-2022, 07:18 AM   #14

You are correct $12k is allot of gas...

Reading between the lines it would appear that you are looking for validation to go with the gas motor. I would stick with the gas motor unless you are driving 20k miles per year towing you won't get your 12k back anytime soon.

I have a diesel and I love it but I also require it for the things that I have to tow and the miles i tow a year. I would have bought a gas motor but when i bought i was able to get a diesel for the same price as a gas and there were no gas 3500 available... I love the diesel no doubt about it... but financially it is a bigger hole with higher risk...

The gas motor may not pull like a diesel or go as fast or a number of things but it will certainly do what you are asking it to do without issue.

Good luck with your adventure....
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 07:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMarine View Post
Our mileage is similar to Bill2e's:
We get ~ 20 - 22 MPG highway @ 75mph.
8-12mpg towing the camper @ 65 - 70mph. But the camper is 35' toyhauler that is 13.4' high & weighs in ~10K - 12K when we travel with it. With it's height, its like dragging a sail behind you. This was our average mileage on a 7.5K loop trip last summer from AZ to MT to WI to TN & back to AZ. So we had mountains, winds, etc.
You must have the 3.72 rear end. Unfortunately the 4.10 doesn't get near that good of mileage.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 03-29-2022, 08:21 AM   #16

I have a 2021 3500 Big Horn Crew Cab with HO. It's quite, does not have that "diesel" truck smell while running, and like others have said, it is a beast. We tow a 36' 5th wheel that is over 13' tall, and this truck works effortlessly when were towing. Mileage is around 14 around town, close to 20 on the highway, and about 11 while towing. This is my daily driver and I love it. We bought it new, so this will be our 2nd season towing the 5ther, but we are looking to many more years of use. At 63, I am pretty sure this is the last truck I Will ever own.
RFactor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 09:13 AM   #17

Thanks for the feedback! I fully admit, I am cheap! I just cringe at a $70K+ vehicle.
We have only purchased one new vehicle ever, 6 months old has been our moto. Pricing had always been good, and we have always found what we like. DW is very resistant to a diesel, I think mostly because of peoples aftermarket changes and how loud some of them are. I like the idea of nearly unlimited power, but not sure what to expect from maintenance as we put so few miles on a TV each year.

It really comes down to, what comes first? The Chicken or the Egg? Hopefully next year we will be upgrading to an Eagle HT (maybe the 27RL or 27RS, but there are others we like too). With the HTT, I fully expect we will not even know it is back there. But a 5ver, even a HT, has a lot of frontal surface area to deal with.

I might go look at it tomorrow

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 03-29-2022, 09:41 AM   #18

yes, I opted for the 3.72 vice the 4.11 for fuel mileage, since the engine has all the power needed to pull what I have with that rear end.

On another note, we used to call our 2000 Ram 2nd gen Cummins the "garbage truck" as it sounded the same when running. This new one is VERY quite & does not have the diesel truck sound you normally associated with diesels in the past.
AZMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 12:30 PM   #19

When I bought my truck in Dec 2019, I shopped for several months before I found the one I wanted. My requirements were:

2014-2019 Ram 2500
4X4
Crew cab
Short bed
Diesel
Under 50k miles
Under $50k

Anything else was negotiable. I found my 18 Ram 2500 Laramie at a dealer over 100 miles from home. Mileage was just under 50k and the price out the door was $43k. I will admit, I've had a few issue, one self induced. I got up against a rock with the passengers side rocker panel, $5k damage but insurance covered it. I had an oil leak that turned out to be a fairly major repair, but Cummins engines come with a 100k mile warranty and the dealer repaired at no cost to me. A few months after the oil leak was repaired, the fan ate a piece of the fan shroud and didn't care for the taste to it spit the fan shroud piece into the radiator and I had to have the radiator and shroud replace out of pocket. That one cost me $1200 or so. luckily for me I work at an auto parts store and can get a deal on parts.

Routine maintenance, oil and filter changes, are pricey, but again, I can get a break on parts. I replaced the air filter with a K&N unit and clean it every other oil change.

Power: Plenty. Our rig weighs in at about 8500 lbs loaded with a full tank of water. The truck knows the trailer is back there, it simply doesn't care. I've pulled onto the interstate and merged into traffic with no trouble. Towing in the mountains of Wyoming last summer, with the cruise set at 65, one the downhills, the truckers passed me, i returned the favor on the uphill side of the mountain.

Fuel economy: Solo on the highway with the cruise set at 60, I log 20-21 mpg, towing on the interstate with the cruise set at 65, I log 12-13 mpg.

Comfort: My wife has driven the truck and she says it rides so smooth, you really don't realize how fast your going. She was going thru town a few days ago and there is a section where the speed limit is 50, she looked down and saw she was doing nearly 70.

DEF economy: Solo I add a 2.5 gallon jug about every 4k miles. Towing, depends. Last summer I filled the DEF before we left home, towed roughly 1500 miles before the low DEF light came on, added a single 2.5 gallon jug which brought it up to over 3/4 tank. We left South Dakota and by the time we got to Hill AFB, about 600 miles, the low light was on again. We were bucking serious head winds the entire time. The harder the engine has to work, the more DEF it uses.

The weak link in this vehicle is the transmission. Chrysler decided to put the 68RFE transmission behind the Cummins and it performs well and as long as you keep an eye on the temps, it will probably be fine. Heat is the main killer of any transmission. You also need to make sure you keep to the maintenance schedule and change fluid and filter on time. I can replace the trans pan with a deeper one that has fluid channels to help cool the fluid more than the stock pan. There is a company that has a swap in Allison trans for the Ram with the Cummins, but it's a pricey process. If my trans ever goes south, depending on the condition of the rest of the truck, I will seriously consider it.

Am I happy I bought it? Yes, Would I buy it again? Yes. Would I recommend it to anyone else? Yes.
2021 Keystone Cougar 27SABWE
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 02:56 PM   #20

I was extremely anti diesel for many years. I find it hard to justify one if your not working it hard on a regular basis. I ended up with a 3500 gmc Dmax. Basically all the modern diesel pickup are pretty equal. Some have better transmissions, some better suspension, some better interior. In the end they are all close on MPG, towing numbers, reliability, comfort, and expense of ownership. Yes you pay more upfront and it will cost you about double maybe triple in ownership costs. I can tell you first hand you will recuperate most of the additional expense on the back end. Look at KBB look at a comparable gas vs diesel that's 3 to 4 years old with 50k miles on it. You will see the gas version has lost about 30 to 50% of its value where the diesel is likely lost a few $1000 in value or in my case the new version has gone up in price so much and I got such a great deal when I purchased mine it's actually worth about $2500 more after 4 years then I paid for it. Gas will never increase in value. Why? Life span. Gas motor has a realistic life span of between 150k and 200k miles ever mile you get closer to that is lost value. Where the diesel version has a realistic life span of 250 to 500k miles (yes it will cost you to put that many miles on it turbo head gasket, interiors transmission over haul) but internally the diesel will still be viable with higher miles.
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote