Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2017, 02:09 PM   #1

Ram integrated brake controller fix

This is just for just for general information. My 2017 ram 2500 has a factory integrated brake controller. My trailer brakes would not stop the vehicle when I activated the controller on heavy electric even at gain 10. I was able to roll forward even at an idle. I brought the truck to the Dodge dealer and the mechanic replaced the controller for me but this did not help. I brought my 5th wheel to the dealer and he checked the whole thing out then he did a little research through the Dealership forums and discovered that the trucks computer needed to be programed to accept a 5th wheel. (I am sure I am not using the terms that he called it) Now the brakes stop pretty hard with my gain set to 7. I drove the truck this weekend about 300 miles and the trailer brakes are strong. I hope this helps someone out. Enjoy.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:53 PM   #2

Does your truck show a different trailer selection now? I wouldn't mind having a little more braking power. I run mine on heavy electric with a gain of 10.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:17 PM   #3

I was running Heavy electric gain 10 and I didn't feel the brakes. The truck had to work to stop the trailer. Now I am using heavy electric gain 7 and when I hit the brakes at speed it is much more responsive and when I let go of the pedal I can feel a very slight delay in the trailer brakes releasing. When I'm idling forward and slide the brake controller The trailer grabs fairly hard now and you can feel the back of the truck sink down.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:23 PM   #4

Curious...does any of the paperwork from the dealership have any coding on it or anything?
Old 05-30-2017, 07:38 PM   #5

We have the same controller in our 3500 Ram, it must be reprogramed at the dealer
pulling ? stopping our 40 foot 330RSTS only set on 6.0 Stops great ..
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Curious...does any of the paperwork from the dealership have any coding on it or anything?
I only have the paperwork from the first trip. I'm not sure what happened the second and third time. The mechanic came out and handled it right away. They cleared a spot in the parking lot and had me back into it and he checked it on the spot. This process took approximately an hour. He said everything checked out but he would do some research so I went home with the truck and trailer. The dispatcher called me the following morning and asked if i could bring the truck in so they could do something with the computer so I did. I dropped the truck with the dealer had lunch with my wife and it was finished by the time my lunch was. Again about a hour. I remember signing something but I don't remember what I did with the paperwork sorry.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:53 PM   #7

Huh, that would be something really helpful to know... I too have the 2017 2500. Would you suggest calling the Ram dealer or the place where i bought the fifth wheel? I have mine set to 7 and didn't have any problems braking, at least i didn't feel too big of a push.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:12 PM   #8

I have a 2015 RaM 2500. A couple years ago it was found that these controllers did not put out enough to stop trailers properly. Recently Ram came out with a update to this itbc. I had this done to my truck a couple months ago and now the brake controller works the way I would expect it too. I used a prodigy in its place until Ram finally got there crap together. Interesting to see that they may have an issue with some 2017s still. There is a big long thread on ramforum.com about this very issue.
15BlueStreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:51 PM   #9

Would you mind telling me the name of the dealer?

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15BlueStreak View Post
I have a 2015 RaM 2500. A couple years ago it was found that these controllers did not put out enough to stop trailers properly. Recently Ram came out with a update to this itbc. I had this done to my truck a couple months ago and now the brake controller works the way I would expect it too. I used a prodigy in its place until Ram finally got there crap together. Interesting to see that they may have an issue with some 2017s still. There is a big long thread on ramforum.com about this very issue.
I had a very similar issue with my 2010 Ram ... after some back and forth with the dealership and some research on my own, it became clear that there were many issues with the Ram factory brake controllers, at least for the years around my model (a quick google search will return no shortage of info). I can't speak for the newer Rams. My second brake controller, replaced by the dealer, actually quit on me while towing 3 horses in the mountains. Never again. I replaced it with a P3 and haven't regretted it for a second. The extra money is nothing compared to the peace of mind the P3 has provided ever since.
2000 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4, 7.3 PSTD, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (1503)
topshelfredlabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:57 AM   #11

I had the same issue. but its different on two trailers. My 5th wheel will lock the wheels, but on my 30ft. goose neck cargo trailer. barely feel anything. thought maybe needed adjustment on the brakes, nope, might be a bad ground, Nope, What i ended up with I found the main brake wire undersized. I retro fit to a bigger wire then the brakes lock on heavy electric at 4. the same as my 5ver.
2017 Ram 3500, Big Horn, 6.7, Crew, Long, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Full timer in a Pinnacle
eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
Does your truck show a different trailer selection now? I wouldn't mind having a little more braking power. I run mine on heavy electric with a gain of 10.
Interesting. I have the same truck and trailer. Have it set for light 7. Drifting at 10 mph it stops the rig smoothly although not quickly. Wondering if I have it too light. Although with Tow/haul and automatic brake enabled I don't use much brake.
Prior 2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS
jlechmanik is offline   Reply With Quote