Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-02-2018, 03:44 PM   #1

RAM Short Bed - Jayco 336FBOK

Brand new to the forums and the 5er world. My wife and I should be taking delivery of our new 5th wheel end of the month and going full-time.

I just bought an '18 RAM 3500 to pull the 336FBOK Model. I'm confused on if I need a slider hitch or not. I've read that newer 5ers are made that the front cap shouldn't hit the cab of the truck even with a short bed.

I was originally considering the Pullrite 2900 Superglide, so I wouldn't have to manually do anything for a slider, but if I can just get a standard hitch (no slider) that just drops into my puck system, that seems way easier.

Anyone out there having a similar setup without a slider and no problems?

Thanks!
mkbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:55 PM   #2

Well I answered my own question. After spending a good portion of my day researching, deciding to go with the Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:46 AM   #3
PMC

My mega cab has a 6.5 bed and while I rarely need to slide my B&W I’m glad I have it when I need it. I went with the B&W because it drops right into the pucks and in the 6000 or so miles I’ve towed with it I’m 100% happy. Saying that, it’s a personal choice. Lots of auto slide guys, a good number of Andersen guys and then the manual slide or no slide.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:48 AM   #4

I'm no slide in our SB truck.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:32 PM   #5

Well I changed my mind again.

This being my first rodeo with the 5th wheel and being full-time, I've decided to suck up the cost and go with the Pullrite Auto Slider 2700 (16k version).

I won't be removing it and we'll be on the move once a week. It will be nice to have no doubts at all about hitting. Also, I was concerned about having to lift the 5th wheel up and down so many times with being full-time with the Andersen, since I'd have to lower it each time I hook up as opposed to the slider I get to just back in.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:01 PM   #6

Leveling Problem

Have you had any problems getting the camper level? I have a 2016 Ram 3500, Crew Cab, 6 1/2 foot bed, 4WD. 2018 28.5 RSTS. When I hitch up and lower the camper, my bed only squats 2 inches. This is causing the front of the camper to be quite a bit higher than the rear. Working with dealer now to try different hitch configurations (CURT hitch). Tried a different hitch head. Little help. Next step is to remove slider. Anyone else have this problem?
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
Have you had any problems getting the camper level? I have a 2016 Ram 3500, Crew Cab, 6 1/2 foot bed, 4WD. 2018 28.5 RSTS. When I hitch up and lower the camper, my bed only squats 2 inches. This is causing the front of the camper to be quite a bit higher than the rear. Working with dealer now to try different hitch configurations (CURT hitch). Tried a different hitch head. Little help. Next step is to remove slider. Anyone else have this problem?
Still haven't gotten our trailer to find this out. Actually was told our delivery date is pushed back a month, so that changes our 2019 plans quite a bit. This doesn't help you as I'm sure you'd like a real response earlier than a month from now
Old 12-21-2018, 07:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkbix View Post
Well I changed my mind again.

This being my first rodeo with the 5th wheel and being full-time, I've decided to suck up the cost and go with the Pullrite Auto Slider 2700 (16k version).

I won't be removing it and we'll be on the move once a week. It will be nice to have no doubts at all about hitting. Also, I was concerned about having to lift the 5th wheel up and down so many times with being full-time with the Andersen, since I'd have to lower it each time I hook up as opposed to the slider I get to just back in.

We have had the pullrite for 8 years now and still works like a champ. NEVER have to worry about it hitting thed cab and I have had it at 90 degreees when trying to back into tight spaces. I had a problem with the jaws a few years ago and Pullrite sent me the parts and never asked for a penny. There are 2 downsides to the superglide. 1) The weight but you said that your not unloading it and many have found work arounds to remove and install the hitch such as electric winch in the garage. 2) When hitching up you need to be pretty much straight on. Sometimes it may cause you to reposition the TV to hook up but I think it is minor.

Too many times in doing research I read posts of folks who didn't get the autoslider and then they were spending thousands to fix the rear of thier cab and front of the 5er!
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 08:54 PM   #9

Our TV is a '16 Ram 3500 SRW Crew Cab, short bed. We were looking at new 2018 Jayco Eagle 5th wheels last year. We actually hitched up a few. Height was definitely an issue. They all sat about 3-5 inches nose-high with only 6 inches of clearance between the trailer and the bed rails. With only 6 inches of clearance, couldn't lower the hitch to compensate.

If you plan on using a slider, check the rear of the pin box and make sure no portion of it is sitting below the top of the bed rails (under all conditions) before you activate the slider the first time. This is an especially critical check if your trailer is nose high and you have minimal bed-rail/trailer clearance. If any part of the rear of the pinbox sits below the bed rail, it may not clear the tailgate or bed rail when the slider is activated.

Saw a gentlemen with a new, dealer-installed $2000 auto-slider and new 5th wheel make a tight turn to exit a local dealership with nasty results. When the slider auto-activated in the turn, the rear of the pin box (which had an unusual shape and sat low in the bed) slammed into the rightside bedrail. Bent the bed-rail on his new Chevy 2500 outward about 4-5 inches. He was not a happy camper.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote