Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2018, 07:31 PM   #1

Real Cargo Carrying Capacity?

Picking up X19H in about a week. Yea camping!

Here it is.
2017 Grand Cherokee Laredo gas V6 w/tow package (6200 lb tow cap)

Placard on driver door jamb says, "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 476 KG or 1050 LB."

Other door placard (sticker, label, whatever it's called) says GVWR is 6500 lbs.

Today I weighed Jeep at local dump with full fuel, me and some hand sanitizer. Scale said 4900 lbs.

GVWR is 6500-4900 actual weight=1600lbs.
Shouldn't that be Cargo Capacity? Why does placard say only 1050lbs? (Tires are rated ~2200 lbs each)

So I called 1 800 Jeep five times and got a few different answers. None were actual answers. Last lady said, "Ask the salesmen. They're the ones who weigh them, and stuff."
Uh...okay?

The weight of trailer or ability of Jeep to tow, or any other "can I tow it" question is not the issue.

Real issue is how much weight can I actually put in the Jeep. If it's 1050lbs, that's not a lot with three adults (525 lbs)+ tongue weight (say trailer is 4K loaded, so maybe 500lbs?)=1025 lbs of cargo, leaving only 25 lbs. Does my son have to ride in the camper now? Only joking.

Also, I stopped by Jeep dealer and looked at 7 different 2018 Grand Cherokee, all were different. Some v8, v6, Limited, Trailhawk....
Ever single one had exact same as mine, 1050lbs of cargo capacity.
So there's that too.

Oh, one last thing. Any X19H owners have any real world tongue weights?
GeneYus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:04 AM   #2

As you know, the dealer doesn't weigh them - but that is funny!

Some vehicles just weren't made to handle a lot of cargo. Whether it is transmission cooling, suspension or something else. But do look in your book, some manufacturers allot for a certain amount of weight for the driver (150lbs) and that does not count towards your cargo capacity.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:24 PM   #3

Interesting. One would expect the two numbers to be close. In the other hand your weigh numbers don't make sense. I would find a certified scale to make sure your number is correct,..
Prior 2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS
jlechmanik is offline   Reply With Quote