Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-11-2017, 07:54 AM   #1

Rear Sway Bar Addition

Oddly, even though our Ram 1500 has every other tow feature, it did not get equipped with a rear sway bar. I am considering a Hellwig 22mm kit. Has anyone done this upgrade. It looks easy. I guess I am mainly curious about the value of the investment. The bar and kit is $300(+/-). Is there a decent improvement in handling? I am mostly interested in handling under load. Also, is it necessary for the front and rear bars to be the same diameter?
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:12 AM   #2

While I have not installed a rear bar on a Ram, I have installed many on all my Astro vans and had one put on my Tundra when I bought it new. They always made a very noticeable difference in the handling. My Ram 2500 has one standard so I didn't need to add it. No need to upgrade the front unless you really feel the need to. The fronts will generally be a larger diameter due to the weight that is always present.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:46 PM   #3
Site Team

My wife's 2010 Ram 1500 4x4 has one from the factory. Have you considered adding the factory bar instead of an aftermarket?
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:27 AM   #4

I put one on my 2017 2500 CTD I did the rear and it do make a different, I'm thinking about installing one for the front but I'm weighting that out.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:21 AM   #5

I have an 07 F150 which also did not come with a factory sway bar. I installed the hellwig setup and it made a world of difference, i haven't been able to tow my tt with it yet, since i'm still waiting on delivery of it. However i've towed several smaller but still heavy trailers and it makes a massive difference in the trucks road holding ability, it has 3 adjustable mounting points to adjust the stiffness of it, i keep mine on the center one and i am happy with how it feels. before i installed it the truck drove fine but felt very boaty now with it installed even without a trailer it drives better than before. it is noticeable on the highway when changing lanes, or cruising on back roads. when i first put it on i tried it out and i was able to throw it around corners far harder than i ever expected to be able too in a full size pickup. In short i would definitely recommend it to anybody considering it. Also, my dad has an 11 ram 1500 and my hellwig bar is much larger than his factory one. Here are a couple pics, my only complaint is that i had to bend one of the brake lines slightly to get the brackets on the axle but their was really no way around that if i wanted to install it
Attached Thumbnails
swaybar1.jpg   swaybar2.jpg  
RichP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP View Post
I have an 07 F150 which also did not come with a factory sway bar. I installed the hellwig setup and it made a world of difference, i haven't been able to tow my tt with it yet, since i'm still waiting on delivery of it. However i've towed several smaller but still heavy trailers and it makes a massive difference in the trucks road holding ability, it has 3 adjustable mounting points to adjust the stiffness of it, i keep mine on the center one and i am happy with how it feels. before i installed it the truck drove fine but felt very boaty now with it installed even without a trailer it drives better than before. it is noticeable on the highway when changing lanes, or cruising on back roads. when i first put it on i tried it out and i was able to throw it around corners far harder than i ever expected to be able too in a full size pickup. In short i would definitely recommend it to anybody considering it. Also, my dad has an 11 ram 1500 and my hellwig bar is much larger than his factory one. Here are a couple pics, my only complaint is that i had to bend one of the brake lines slightly to get the brackets on the axle but their was really no way around that if i wanted to install it
It look nice and beefy.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2017, 09:17 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I just bought TRD rear sway bar for 2016 Tundra part # PTR113-4070.
Less than 1 hour install. I got it in Amazon for $234 delivered.
Toyota wanted $599 + tax installed. 4Bolts and 2 U-clamps.

Great modification for small amount of $$

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:13 PM   #8

Yes I agree, on my 3/4 ton it make it more stable and I and a 35" fiver that weight about 11,000 lbs.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2017, 08:23 PM   #9

Sway bars will make the biggest impact in the tightest, highest g turns- when the bar is most apt to transfer load. If you’re an aggressive driver it is a great investment. It will add little to nothing while towing because you are cornering slowly so there’s very little lateral load to re-apply to the opposite side of the axle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:56 PM   #10

The helwig product is well regarded on the other forum I hang out at. I've never added one, but I know people who have and were happy with the improved handling when towing. Hard to measure maybe.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:21 AM   #11

Thank you, guys!
Old 11-18-2017, 09:22 AM   #12

Quote:
I am considering the Hellwig for sure. I think that center setting would be about right for me, too. Was there any drilling?
Old 11-18-2017, 09:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
I am considering the Hellwig for sure. I think that center setting would be about right for me, too. Was there any drilling?

No drilling. It was 100% bolt on. It took me about an hour without any rush

2018 slx267 bhs
Old 11-18-2017, 09:44 AM   #14

Awesome! I think the rear bar and some "big" brakes are my summer project this coming summer. I am looking at the Power Stop Tow front and rear kit.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Awesome! I think the rear bar and some "big" brakes are my summer project this coming summer. I am looking at the Power Stop Tow front and rear kit.

I have the power stop sport brakes they are great

2018 slx267 bhs
Old 11-18-2017, 09:54 AM   #16

Quote:
I have the power stop sport brakes they are great

What's the difference between the sport and the tow brakes? What made you go with the sport?
Old 11-18-2017, 09:58 AM   #17

Quote:
What's the difference between the sport and the tow brakes? What made you go with the sport?

The tow brakes come with a little better brake pad but they are far more expensive and I didn't want to spend that much more since the whole setup was almost 500 anyways

2018 slx267 bhs
Old 11-18-2017, 10:03 AM   #18

Quote:
The tow brakes come with a little better brake pad but they are far more expensive and I didn't want to spend that much more since the whole setup was almost 500 anyways

Got it. I will do some digging.