Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2015, 07:37 AM   #1

Rear View Camera

Can anyone recommend a good, but not too expensive, rear view camera for our TT? My husband wants to be able to see what is behind him on the road. I know there are wired ones and wireless ones, we do have a couple of tablets we could use if a wireless one would not come with a monitor. My husband works with electronics so he could wire one if need be.
Thanks in advance!
Old 07-13-2015, 07:53 AM   #2

I haven't done it yet, but I've read from a LOT of people that the wireless ones aren't very good on a travel trailer. Its a pretty long distance away and you have a large trailer and large truck between the send and receive signals. I think wired is your best bet.

I would suggest you mount a camera up high and centered on your trailer... usually over the center clearance light on the top back wall. That allows you to tap into the power for the light to turn on your camera. Wiring from the back roof to the front tongue becomes the issue.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:01 AM   #3

Lots of threads on here about backup cameras but it seems the consensus is the wireless versions are not worth it due to their inability to maintain a clean signal.

There are wired packages available from various dealers and your DH could rig the camera up and have an RCA connection at the hitch for easy disconnection. You don't have to spend a ton of money to get descent results with a wired version. I have a TFT monitor and an Esky camera on my TV that I installed for about $50 that gets the job done almost as well as the OEM camera on my DWs Explorer. A 7" TFT monitor is $25-30 on Amazon and a camera will run about $20-25.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:44 AM   #4

How do you get the wires into the cab of the truck? I think I could figure out the rest of the wiring.
KYCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:11 AM   #5

A recommendation on mounting the camera. I stead of drilling new holes in the back wall I removed the center marker light and used the hole the wires came out of to power my wireless camera. Had it for over a year now and only ever lost the signal when the antenna got pointed down. Straightened it back up and all is well. Now when I sell the trailer I can remove the camera and replace the marker light. I have a voyager wireless system with the large monitor. It is pricey but works for me.

TNCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYCAMPER View Post
How do you get the wires into the cab of the truck? I think I could figure out the rest of the wiring.
There is usually a rubber plug on the firewall that you can fish wires thru. On every GM truck I have owned it's near the master cylinder.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:15 PM   #7

I am using a Garmin BC20 wireless camera that displays on my Garmin GPS. I installed the transmitter under the propane tank cover up front, and wired it directly to the battery. The camera is mounted to my rear ladder and I bought a 50 ft garmin camera extension cable. When it's wired to the battery you can switch back and forth from gps to the camera. I am using it to look at my bike rack under way.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:42 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDavid View Post
I am using a Garmin BC20 wireless camera that displays on my Garmin GPS. I installed the transmitter under the propane tank cover up front, and wired it directly to the battery.
This is exactly what I was thinking about doing. I do not have a ladder so I was going to mount the clip on the license plate. Do you see any camera vibration from your setup? Can you PM me with how you connected to the battery? Unless you think that answer won't hijack this thread
Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:57 PM   #9

My new fifth wheel (2016 Eagle 293rkds) came with the Voyager wireless model from ASA Electronics. It is about 40 feet between the cab and the camera and its works flawlessly.

Good luck with your purchase.
MarMic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaddox View Post
This is exactly what I was thinking about doing. I do not have a ladder so I was going to mount the clip on the license plate. Do you see any camera vibration from your setup? Can you PM me with how you connected to the battery? Unless you think that answer won't hijack this thread

The Garmin camera mounted to the ladder has no vibration at all, other than the movement from traveling. It is a decent camera for $150. Any vibration from the license plate would probably depend on the rubber plate mount? My guess is that it would be fine. As far as the battery hook up, it's just a red and black wire that connects to positive and ground of the battery. I did put an on/off switch on mine in the ground wire to shut off the transmitter when not moving.