Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-02-2016, 08:12 PM   #1

Question Rear View Mirror Extensions

Hi All,

First let me say I love this group and all the help and assistance provided and the years of experience.

I have an 2015 F-150, and will be towing a 23RLSW. The mirrors on the TV are standard, the do not extend, they only fold in. They do have a separate portion or the mirror for monitoring blind spots for near by vehicles.

What are your opinions on extension mirrors? Are they needed or useful? And what would you recommend? I've seen some that attach to the top and bottom of the mirror housing with straps and a suction cup on the mirror that should move the extension with the main mirror.

Thanks,
Ron
rjmotyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:47 PM   #2

I have a '13 F150. I debated on the entension mirrors but ended buying complete replacement tow mirrors from A1 Auto. They were a fraction of the cost of OEM tow mirrors, easy to install, plug and play electronics and look and function identical to the OEMs. Bonus, they came with puddle lights that the stocks didn't have.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmotyl View Post
I have an 2015 F-150, and will be towing a 23RLSW. The mirrors on the TV are standard, the do not extend, they only fold in. They do have a separate portion or the mirror for monitoring blind spots for near by vehicles.

What are your opinions on extension mirrors? Are they needed or useful? And what would you recommend? I've seen some that attach to the top and bottom of the mirror housing with straps and a suction cup on the mirror that should move the extension with the main mirror.
Ron,

2010 F150 here with the standard mirrors, also with a brand new 23RLSW. So far I've only driven it home from the dealership, about 15 miles, most of that on our friendly local limited access highway. I gather you haven't pulled your new TT yet. Frankly I don't think I'm going to bother with extension mirrors; yes, they would be nice, but I felt like I had plenty of vision on both sides. DW and I will take it out for a couple of local camping trips in May, before a big trip from PA to Maine in June. I'll make up my mind on the extension mirrors before the Maine trip, but right now I don't see the need.

OTOH, some of them aren't terribly expensive, so maybe I'll just go ahead and try out a pair.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:52 PM   #4

Not to many options yet for the 2015-16 models. I have always used the slip on extension mirrors, they fit nice and tight unlike some models that use bungees, they vibrate and drive you crazy when you look at the mirror and everything is wiggling. Go to etrailer.com and look at Longview Custom Towing Mirrors - Slip On.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:54 PM   #5

Purchased my '13 F150 with the factory tow mirrors and love them. You can see everything including right down the side of the trailer. Highly recommend either OEM or aftermarket.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:27 PM   #6

I have not yet towed the TT, the ride home will be less then 20 miles, so I'll go with the std side mirrors and see how it goes. The etrailer.com custom mirrors look interesting if I go with an extension.
rjmotyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extension mirror