Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-03-2017, 09:07 PM   #1

Recurve R3 - Troubles

So I am getting a loud squeal or grinding noise when I make left hand turns. Not the normal popping or cracking...

Since experiencing the sounds I...

1. Disconnected the trailer and loosed the tension bolt for the sway control all the way and tired moving the spindle by hand and it would not move.

2. Re-greased the fitting and tired moving the spindle by hand, still nothing.

3. Used a rubber mallet to move the spindle to the opposite side and then it would move more freely by hand but with residence.

4. Reconnected the trailer and tighten the tension bolt and drove, no sound. Let the trailer sit over night sound occurred the next day.

5. Disconnected the trailer, loosen the bolt and tried moving the spindle by hand and it wouldn't move.

Should the spindle move free when the tension bolt all the way loose? If so, why am I having trouble? Is the ball and socket too tight?
Old 07-10-2017, 06:15 AM   #2

Sounds to me like there is something wrong inside the sway control column, like perhaps some of the frictional material came loose and it getting bunched up in a certain area maybe? It also seems like it could be affected by temperature and the corresponding expansion/contraction of metal parts since it sat overnight and then started acting up again.

Can you pull the ball and shank out and look inside to see if there's anything obvious? I'm also assuming there is adequate grease in there too.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
Sounds to me like there is something wrong inside the sway control column, like perhaps some of the frictional material came loose and it getting bunched up in a certain area maybe? It also seems like it could be affected by temperature and the corresponding expansion/contraction of metal parts since it sat overnight and then started acting up again.

Can you pull the ball and shank out and look inside to see if there's anything obvious? I'm also assuming there is adequate grease in there too.
Thank you for the reply, the sway control should move freely when the tension screw is backed out?
DBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:37 AM   #4

With the adjustment screw backed completely off and the sway control turned off, it should move freely.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:59 PM   #5

Took it into the dealer, was back on the road with a new hitch in 15 minutes. Asked if this was a common problem, the tech told me to keep an eye on it.....