Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #1

Reese Dual Cam Sway with Roubd Bars

Hi. Just bought a 29QBH and it has the bottom mount coupler. I also purchased the Reese Dual Cam Sway Control to compliment my Reese WDH with 1200 Round Bars. I was told by the dealer that I would bend my snap up brackets if I used the dual cam, but is that true if I follow the supplemental instructions from Reese on Jayco bottom mount couplers?

Additionally, it appears that they are pretty rigid regarding the measurements for the dual cams to connect to the coupler. Do I have any flexibility? The reason I ask is that there is a plate on the coupler already from a pre existing friction sway control that I need to remove. I think those holes are going to be problematic.

Thanks in advance. If I can't get this to work I'd prefer to know up front and return it before I start monkeying around with it.
Bruck!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #2

Bumpity bump....
Old 05-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #3

The cam brackets can be put on in two directions, the area where're the cam mounts to the frame is offset, so that may help with your old brackets. I think your dealer is very uninformed about the dual cam system. I have been using mine for a year and never bent my brackets, they are designed to be used as a system.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #4

I agree. You have an uninformed dealer. The old style bars were made straight and there was no way to use the DC system. The new style bars have the bend in the end to accomodate the DC cams. That's what they are made for and I can't believe a dealer would not know that.. No, wait.. I can believe it.

The only way you are going to cause a problem is if the pull force on the chains is not straight up, or you really honk down on it trying to get the truck to set level, which is wrong anyway. Many paople here are running Reese DC with some pretty heavy rigs with no problem.

You need to go to RV.Net, go to the Towing section and read two stickies, one explaining how WD works, and the other explaining how to set it up correctly. Study those because you are going to get lots of conflicting information here, some good, some bad on setting it up. it's not rocket science, but it does require that you read and follow instructions, follow the steps, and pay attention to detail.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #5

On rv.net BarneyS is the guys that knows dual cams

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Buck,

I agree with the others, if the Reese HP Dual Cam is installed/adjusted properly you shouldn't have any problems. As far as the snap-up brackets, follow the Reese HP Dual Cam instructions and you won't have any issues. In some cases do to the amount of vertical chain pull on the snap-up brackets with heavy tongue weights (1,200lbs plus), even Reese recommends bolting the snap-up brackets with standard WDH's with heavy tongue weights. Also, under any conditions (with/without the Dual Cam) do not over tighten the snap-up bracket 1/2-13 lag bolt (only 1/4 to 1/2 turn).., over tightening can cause the snap-up bracket "saddle" to bend over the top of the TT's A-frame.

Yes, remove the old friction sway control plate from the TT's A-frame, the remaining holes will not compromise anything, it's important to follow Reese's set-up/location dimensions when mounting the Dual Cam "Frame Plate". If the Frame Plate is mounted off location this may reduce the amount of adjustably of the Cam Arm Yoke when making you final adjustments.

Also, pay close attention the way the Dual Cam "Hanger Bracket" is assembled to the snap-up bracket chain, and the orientation that it is attached to the "Cam Arm". If it is not assembled/attached correctly the chain will not hang vertical when the snap-up bracket is in the locked position..., the chain will pull out-wards thus increasing the potential for a damage snap-up bracket.

Pics of correct application:

Hope this helps.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #7

You guys are the best! Thank you so much. Installing this tomorrow!
Old 05-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #8

Has anyone used the "optional frame orientation" for the cam arm? Basically it looks like you attach the cams to the opposite side. I think I may need to do this based on where the screw holes are for the former friction bar plate.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Bruck,

I have seen the Dual Cam "Frame Plates" mounted opposite hand, has no impact on functionality..., whats important is the set-up dimension between the TT coupler ball socket and the Frame Plate/Cam Arm Yoke pivot point.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #10

Installed and traveled! Still need to do some adjusting but glad I am all done with the installation.