Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2016, 09:15 PM   #1

Reese revolution - looking for some specs or owners manual if it exists

Or is it exactly the same as the sidewinder owners manual? that one I am able to find online....

In approximately two weeks we are heading down to pick up our trailer with the factory installed Reese revolution pinbox. I already have the torque wrench, so I'm interested to know what size sockets I should have in my toolbox before I head down to pick up the trailer. I have read that the bolts like to loosen up so I just want to make sure I'm prepared with the right tools. We'll have a decent treck getting it back to our hometown and one night of camping so want to make sure I have it all with me.
mtedelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 02:34 AM   #2

I ordered my 5er with the Revolution as well. It came with a manual but I breezed over it. I haven't had to tighten anything up as nothing has loosened but iI did have to remove the bolts that keep the pin box locked rigid like a standard pinbox as that's how they are delivered from the factory. I also had to mount the keyway as its mounted up out of the way as delivered. If your picking it up I'd imagine the dealer would help set that stuff up though.

I'll be out screwing around with it tomorrow. I'll get some bolt sizes for you so you'll have the right wrenches...
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
I ordered my 5er with the Revolution as well. It came with a manual but I breezed over it. I haven't had to tighten anything up as nothing has loosened but iI did have to remove the bolts that keep the pin box locked rigid like a standard pinbox as that's how they are delivered from the factory. I also had to mount the keyway as its mounted up out of the way as delivered. If your picking it up I'd imagine the dealer would help set that stuff up though.

I'll be out screwing around with it tomorrow. I'll get some bolt sizes for you so you'll have the right wrenches...
Ok great thanks!!!....don't go out of your way though. Thanks for the help!!
Old 04-18-2016, 04:34 PM   #4

Looking up at the bottom of the pinbox left to right.

First very large nut is the nut that holds the turret on. It had a cotter pin in it to prevent loosening. It's probably at least a two inch socket but it shouldn't loosen so I wouldn't worry about it.

Second set of bolt heads from the left are the bolts that held the turret from rotating. As delivered they are bolted further back to lock everything up. There are two holes available to stick the bolts for storage. That's where mine are. You could just throw them in your toolbox too I suppose. They aren't holding anything where they are. They are 1 1/8. There are nuts youll have to grab too. I just used a crescent wrench.

Third set mounted in line are the keyway bolts. Again, as delivered it's bolted in further back so the pinbox can be used like a normal fixed one. They are 15/16.

Last is the pin. I've read a few times of something loosening up but I believe that is up under the turret? Not really sure. As of now, everything is good and tight so I see no reason to worry. If it starts to loosen I'll take it apart then. In your case with a new rig, you should be fine except for these bolts mentioned. I would imagine a decent dealer would help you set it up though. when I brought mine home, I just pulled it like a normal pinbox and then set up the Revolver when I got home and was setting up everything else.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:27 PM   #5

Yes, Sidewinder/Revolution are basically the same. Mine's going on year 3, and nothing has loosened yet. If you will be setting your own wedge position, as per manual make sure it is tight against the hitch. BUT, don't be Thor and use your super strength and hammer-from-the-gods on it to get it super tight to the hitch. My dealer did, and it gave me a lot of grief in getting unhitched. I reset it, and all is better. Mind - you never want any play at all in the wedge to hitch connection, but it is possible to jam it too tight.....

Oh, and about those locking bolts - they are used to allow the Revolution to be used for conventional towing. My dealer always pins mine so he can easily move the fifth around his yard. He uses a tractor, so leaving the wedge in place is not an issue. You MUST make sure that those bolts are removed before you drive off! He and I didn't once. He got to replace the whole pin box assembly, the entire Revolution, the entire hitch, and pay to have my truck frame assessed (whew- nothing there bent!).
Old 04-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #6

I think I have the problem that OZ97 mentions.
I took my 26.5 out for the first time this weekend. Getting the hitch to release was a little hard but not impossible.
But then I drove it to our storage yard Monday A.M. on my way to work. I worked for over an hour trying to get the handle out to release the kingpin. I moved the truck, I changed angles, I tried it higher/lower/etc. I nuged it forward, I nuged it back. Nothing. I even took a rubber hammer to the handle - it wouldn't BUDGE.

One thing I did notice, as I raised the front jacks, it would almost pick the truck up, then all of a sudden - BANG and the truck would drop an inch leaving a gap between the hitch and Revolution plate. But it still wouldn't open.
So Drop back down and the landing gear is almost off the ground and BANG, the hitch drops onto the plate.

So I called the dealer. They are closed on Monday - but there was an emergency number so I called and left a message. While I was waiting I tried ONE MORE TIME - and it released with a little help from my friendly rubber hammer. I guess it got scared when it heard me call the mechanic.

Anyway - I'm convinced that the wedge is way too tight - I had to rush off to work but this weekend I'll go back over and try moving it back a bit.

My hitch, by the way, is a Reese Titan 16k.

Anyone else had problems with the Revolution not letting go?
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:21 PM   #7

That's interesting. Usually releasing isn't my problem but once I had a problem similar to what you just described. My issue is usually hooking up but as long as it's lined up I don't javelin much trouble.

When I installed the wedge, I just tapped it a bit like described. Now this makes me wonder if I should loosen it a tiny bit to see what happens. Maybe that will be tomorrow's job...
Old 04-18-2016, 08:28 PM   #8

More research

So, I've been reading on the Reese site and on other forums.

Now I have to go back to the Storage Yard and look at how the mechanic installed the wedge. The universal wedge MUST be installed with the cutout facing the ground for the Titan.

Just to be safe, I also ordered a Titan specific wedge - and I think I'll put that on myself when it arrives.
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Old 04-18-2016, 09:29 PM   #9

BuddyRay - yep, that was exactly the issue I originally had. Same hitch, also. (same fifth, almost same truck, too!). As noted, you want the wedge well seated, but not super tight. Also, make sure to grease it at all the spots noted in the manual, that improves things dramatically.

Tip #2: It is easy to get the Revolution out of line from the fifth, meaning it points a little right or left off the centerline. You must back your truck dead on square to the Revolution, not the fifth, when hooking up. Tailgate clearance is very small when hitched, so coming in at an angle to the fifth, it is easy (REAL easy) to hit the fifth with a corner of the dropped tailgate. Patching the fiberglass is easy, getting a paint match is really hard! I always back until the front lip makes contact with the hitch, get out, close the gate, then finish backing to fully hitch. My first Revolution was so tight on the pivot that I could not move it back to be straight. My second can be moved, although with a bit of muscle. In any event, I now never trust that I am straight enough that I can fully hitch with the gate down.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:06 PM   #10

I'd be curious if the Titan wedge would make any real improvement. I stuffed the wedge in the hitch prior to install and it fits real nice with the hitch. I can't see this wedge making any improvement with this hitch but I've been wrong before. Anyone have any experience with both?
Old 04-18-2016, 10:26 PM   #11

Hey guys thanks for all the awesome info so far!!!! PDI is scheduled for next Thursday so can't wait!!!
Old 04-19-2016, 11:30 AM   #12

OZ - I just ordered the Titan specific wedge - give me a month or so and I'll try and come back and post my results/reaction.
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Old 04-19-2016, 02:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
OZ - I just ordered the Titan specific wedge - give me a month or so and I'll try and come back and post my results/reaction.
Thanks. I'd really like to hear. I'd also be curious if the dimensions are any different where it interfaces with the hitch. $50 bucks isn't really a big deal to try but I just wonder of its needed. On some other hitches I could see the need to get a good tight fit though.

Looking at pics of the wedge, it appears it will fit in the chute more but also looks shorter so maybe being it wouldn't be so picky about being lined up perfect?
Old 09-02-2016, 07:35 PM   #14

Revolution Hitch

I to had all kinds of problems hooking and unhooking my 2017 27.5RLTS revolution 16K pin to my Reese 20 k titan. I removed the standard lube plate and ordered the custom wedge. I actually think the universal wedge fits better in the 20K better the the custom wedge. When unhooking I raise the landing gear until the revolution just starts to raise off the 20K--- I then mark the landing gear with a pencil.[/U] When I go to hook up I raise or lower the landing gear ( as needed) to the pencil mark on the landing gear and drop the landing gear just a bit ( to make sure I won't enter with a high pin !) Of course you have to be pretty well aligned (Pin & hitch) I have been fortunate in the fact that the Revolution will sometimes move if I'm not quite lined up. The secret for me - for a quick hook up was marking the landing gear when I unhooked !)
Archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:00 PM   #15

Reese revolution - looking for some specs or owners manual if it exists

I think the Reese Titan specific wedge made it much easier to hitch up in my 16k hitch.
But the dealer also told me that the hitch would "break in" with use and become easier the more I used it. This has become true.
Also I have the Lipert Levelup system that has "hitch memory" which basically does the same as your inventive marking method.
But one thing is absolutely true!!! With a sidewinder pin box you MUST have the pin box perfectly straight on the hitch when you back in. In other words you must match the exact same angle between the TV and 5er as when you unhitched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Old 09-02-2016, 08:42 PM   #16

I havent logged in here in quite a while due to being work and traveling but I got the email that this thread was updated.

Since I've last posted, I did buy the specific wedge ands well. For me, that helped a bunch but the big thing was making sure the height was perfect hooking or unhooking. I think the hinge in the Revolution allows just enough movement up and down (very little but I can see it when looking very close when I put weight on it) that it'll bing up my 20k Titan hitch if it's too high or low. I imagine if I removed the plastic lube plate it would give enough room to not matter but once I figured out the trick I haven't had any problems since. Either hooking or unhook ingredients, I need to find the spot where I can just see at the back of the Revolution move. That tells me there is weight on the pin but not much. This allows me to latch or release with ease. If too much weight is pushing down, or its too high, my latch won't budge.

I've used mine probably 15 times or so now and as long as I do it correctly, it works great. I think all that said, the 20k Titan is heavy as heck. I'm really thinking going to an Anderson setup to make it easier to remove. However, with my shortbox, I don't want to give up my turning ability. There's always something.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:54 PM   #17

Lots of discussion in other threads about why an Anderson won't work with a Revolution. Has to do with the twisting action on the hitch. The Revolution pinbox puts much more twisting torque on the hitch than a regular pin box that just pivots.

I have a cheap electric winch from Harbor Freight mounted to the ceiling of my garage. Lift the hitch, drive out from under it, lower it onto a moving dolly (also from HF).
Much cheaper than converting to an Anderson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Old 09-03-2016, 12:58 AM   #18

Right. You'd have to lock out the revolution to use the Anderson. Trade offs for ease of use I guess.

In my case, there has been times I've wanted to yank the hitch even when camping though to throw dirt bikes or whatever in the truck. It's just a pain. Doesn't matter though. I don't see myself swapping till I get my next 5er which will likely be a toy hauler anyway. On top of that, I'm seriously considering a Reese goosebox on the next one too.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:06 AM   #19

Anderson hitch

At first when I was having so much trouble with the Revolution Pin box and the Reese 20K hitch--- I looked into the Anderson- according to E-trailer I would not have enough clearance. I have a 2016 Chevrolet 2500 HD gas ( which I'am very happy with) 6' box.

When I called Cequent about my problem hooking and unhooking- the first thing he advised was removing the factory installed lube plate. Repeating myself- after trying both the custom and the universal wedge- I found the universal and installing it according to the U tube video- light hammer- became the the best solution. I have had no problems since.

Sometimes I can move the Pin box by hand with a lot of force and other times no way. Hoping that will loosen up in time.
Archie is offline   Reply With Quote