Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2018, 01:45 PM   #1

Reese Revolution / Sidewinder; factory install?

Retired and finally narrowed down the search for a fifth wheel and truck.

I have been reading many of the posts on this forum, and have found alot of good information. I’m sure this may have been asked before...

Fifth wheel: Eagle 321rsts (most likely ordering this fall for delivery in spring 2019)

Truck: Ford F250 short bed 4x4 SRW 6.7 L diesel. Factory fifth wheel setup (puck system). High capacity Tow package. (Ordering in early 2019)

Hitch options: After doing some research, I think I would like to get the B&W Companion and the Reese Revolution 5th Airborne pin box setup.

Questions:

1) can the factory install the Reese Revolution pin box?

2) does anyone have this 5th wheel and truck setup, or something similar?
* what are your thoughts and suggestions after real world experience?

Thanks in advance for your comments, suggestions, and knowledge.

I am new to fifth wheels. Currently have a Whitehawk 27dsrl. Upgrading to a fifth wheel and diesel truck soon. Pre-planning!
Fyrehuntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:40 PM   #2

I have a fair amount of wheel time pulling boats, car haulers, utility trailers and pop-ups. I am new to 5ers and so far the learning curve for me is still a bit steep. I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 2WD with a Cummins diesel. It pulls a 2008 Jayco 27.5 RKS with a Reese 5 and a Sidewinder on the trailer. I bought everything used and have yet to camp in it but I have driven it from northern Michigan to Detroit round trip.

The coupling/decoupling procedure is a bit tricky with the Sidewinder but I get better with experience. My recommendations: keep the truck and trailer as level as possible, read all of the manuals and check out U-Tube videos for extra exposure and training. Looks like you have the right truck to do the job. Drive sensibly and be careful and you should do fine. You should ask the factory if they do what you ask. Happy trails!
Boze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:23 PM   #3

They use the MorRyde Orbital pin box now instead of the Revolution. Works on the same principle but has the rubber bumpers of the regular MorRyde box. There is a recall on the Orbital pin boxes now. We have one on our 5er but have it locked out because I have an Andersen 3200.

Also, as long as you’re upgrading your truck I’d move up to an F-350. You never know when you might want a larger 5er.

Tags
321rsts, ford f250, reese, revolution, sidewinder