Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2021, 02:57 PM   #1

Reese Sidewinder/Hensley BD 5

I'm upgrading my Seismic Wave 310w with a Reese Sidewinder kingpin. I also upgraded my hitch to a Hensley BD5. The issue I've run into is that I can't find any info regarding the which side of the wedge to use when mounting it to the kingpin. If anyone has this set up and can provide me with the info, I'd really appreciate it.

I've already tried reaching out to Reese, but didn't get a response from my emails. And the person at Etrailer wasn't able to provide any info.
LB32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 03:52 PM   #2

Today I purchased a Hensley BD3 air ride hitch to mate with my sidewinder. I too have the same question regarding the wedge. I will see when the hitch gets here. The wedge just has to fill the space in the hitch "V" to prevent rotation.
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 04:07 PM   #3

That's what I was thinking too. I went with the extended side of the wedge (you'll see when you get it) but I'm still getting a little play. I could hear it knock while making turns. I don't know if that's normal or if I need to tighten it down... I'm going to try calling Reese again next week. Hopefully they answer this time.

But other than that, you're going to love the set up. That Hensley hitch is money! It eliminated all of the chugging and jarring I felt before, and it really took a ton of stress off my truck. And the Reese hitch really helped tighten up my turning radius, and it sped up the trailer's response time while backing up. My only regret is that I didn't go to this set up sooner. It's expensive as hell but totally worth it.
Old 06-05-2021, 01:13 PM   #4

Just found these images at etrailer. I don't know much about fiver hitches, but maybe there's enough visible in the pictures to assist with your wedge install.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20210605-141107_Chrome.jpg   Screenshot_20210605-140954_Chrome.jpg  
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 06:12 PM   #5

LB32, The individual I dealt with at Hensley/Trailer Saver told me when someone orders a hitch and tells them, they modify the hitch to be compatible with the sidewinder. I will see when mine gets here and report back.
Old 06-05-2021, 06:35 PM   #6

It looks like the welded part is an addition to the front of the catch plate so the wedge actually locks into place. You'll still need the wedge so the pin doesn't pivot at the catch plate. Right now I'm hearing a knocking noise when I turn. I'm just waiting for a call/email back from Reese to find out if that's normal or if I didn't install it right.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:47 PM   #7

I received my Hensley BD3 today and installed it into the truck. I have not had the chance to hitch up the RV yet. I did do a measurement of the "V" on the catch plate of the Hensley hitch. Those measurements match that of the Reese 20K I am replacing. I will report back after I hitch the RV and check the fit of the wedge into the "V".
Old 07-08-2021, 08:06 AM   #8

I promised an update on the Hensley BD3 Trailer Saver 5th wheel hitch. I just returned from its maiden voyage. All I can say is, if you do not have one, you are WRONG. I immediately notice the difference before I even got out of town. I was running with 60lb in the bags. No hitch can remove all the “chucking” but this one removed much of it. As the company says, “Trailer Saver” says it all.

PS. The Reese Sidewinder wedge fit perfect, not issues other than as with all sidewinders, one has to line up hitch up.
Old 06-21-2022, 01:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post
I promised an update on the Hensley BD3 Trailer Saver 5th wheel hitch. I just returned from its maiden voyage. All I can say is, if you do not have one, you are WRONG. I immediately notice the difference before I even got out of town. I was running with 60lb in the bags. No hitch can remove all the “chucking” but this one removed much of it. As the company says, “Trailer Saver” says it all.

PS. The Reese Sidewinder wedge fit perfect, not issues other than as with all sidewinders, one has to line up hitch up.
Hi Shorty Cox:
I saw the post for your BD3 hitch . I also have the turning point pin box too (functional as same as the Reese sidewinder pin box ),and I want to upgrade the hitch to Trailer Saver BD3. So ,I want to inquiry that Do you use the standard wedge block with the modified hitch head OR use the special wedge (sold separately )with the regular hitch head ?Thank you !
PENG08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hensley bd5, reese sidewinder