Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-14-2017, 09:38 PM   #1

Regular hitch or slider ?

So we are finally going to be getting our 5er soon and the dealer says we don't need the slide hitch in the truck. This is the first I've heard this but if true it will save us a lot of money! We have a Ford F350 SD SWD diesel 2015. And we are getting the northpoint 377 rlbh which had an extended king pin. He said only the Ford would be able to not have a slider BC the bed is actually 16.9 and with the extended king pin on the 5er it will clear any turn without a problem. Can anyone give me input on this? Don't want to get into something and its the wrong info. However the guy installing would have made more money on an auto slider so I would think he wouldn't be just telling me anything to make a buck. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ashfamilyof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:56 AM   #2

Our FW will have the Reese Revolution 90 degree king pin. We will have a Reese Pro 16K hitch. We are towing with an 09 Silverado 2500HD Ext. cab, 6.5 bed. I checked on the Reese website and they had a formula to determine the use of the slider or not. It measures from the back of the cab to the axle and add 22 inches. If the total is more than 1/2 the width of the FW + 4 inches, you don't need a slider. That is not to say you shouldn't be careful not to get into tight places.....
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:04 AM   #3

You can see our 5th and TV below. We have the short bed and a non-slider B&W and use the factory under bed mounts. I have broken the back glass making a U-turn.
I was tempted to replace the hitch with a slider but talked myself out of it.
That "event" was roughly 2 yrs ago and I've not repeated it. Now when making a U-turn (our street ends in a cul-de-sac) I do not turn the wheel to full lock and when backing I exercise caution.
Not saying that you will need a slider but my rig could use one.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I have broken the back glass making a U-turn.
That is why I have a Pullrite Superglide hitch.

In the end, this is a question of tolerance and risk. Any fifth wheel, hitch, truck combination will hit if you turn far enough (at least in reverse). Slider hitch gets you further before it hits, non-slider with a short bed gets you less. Some have measured clearance to determine they were good, then busted out a back window because truck trailer twist wasn't factored in while measuring.

If you aren't a careful person and can easily see a broken window and dented cab in your future, then an automatic hitch is for you.

If you are careful and patient, then a manual slider hitch may be for you.

If you are the type that has eyes in the back of your head and never let your guard down, you can get by without a slider, but your turning will be somewhat limited and you'll have to keep a close watch on that along with everything else.

I am the type of guy that would decide not to slide the hitch back on a dark rainy night and miss how close I was. I got what was best for me.

You have to figure out what is best for you, hopefully what I have said helps with that.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:54 PM   #5

Do yourself a favor and -#1 Don't believe a salesmans B.S. Check and verify. #2 Either get a slider hitch or an automatic one like Cdash has. If you have a short box you will hit if you turn sharp enough!
Old 06-22-2017, 05:12 PM   #6

Of course a slider is ideal for most. I have a non-slider and never even considered dropping the extra cash on a slider because I can still turn as tight as a bumper pull and am hyper aware of my trailer. I know many people with 5th wheels and every one said some version of "used to have a slider but it was heavy and I never used it, so I went with a fixed"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote