Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2018, 02:56 PM   #1

Rental truck purchase?

I have been scouring the dealerships near me for a used, late model F250 gasser with low miles. My budget and color preference (anything but black or white) has really limited my choices but I know a good truck is out there if Iím able to travel a few hours or take a gamble.

I found Enterprise rental sells their vehicles and located a 2017 F250 in my budget but itís in Memphis. The truck looks clean on the web, but would you be willing to take a gamble and buy a vehicle sight unseen?

Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
I have been scouring the dealerships near me for a used, late model F250 gasser with low miles. My budget and color preference (anything but black or white) has really limited my choices but I know a good truck is out there if Iím able to travel a few hours or take a gamble.

I found Enterprise rental sells their vehicles and located a 2017 F250 in my budget but itís in Memphis. The truck looks clean on the web, but would you be willing to take a gamble and buy a vehicle sight unseen?
Personally, I would not buy a rental vehicle. They get the crud beat out of them. I found our Ram with 1,100 miles on it at CarMax. It is a work truck with all of the tow features. We paid 35% under sticker for it. I would keep digging for a very low mileage if not a next to no mileage lot "lingerer." CarMax will ship. Our truck came from Atlanta by way of South Carolina where it was ordered and then returned for a bigger truck. It was essentially new, in excellent condition. CarMax brought it to Birmingham with no strings attached. I could say yes or no after inspecting it. They were great to work with.

Keep looking - There's one out there for you!

Equalizer 10K
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:45 PM   #3

I wouldn’t buy a formal rental either or the same reasons FeatherFam noted. That said, my parents bought a former rental car and it was fantastic car for them for many years.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:53 PM   #4

I'm a mixed bag on rentals. We have a National Car Rental faculty on our work campus. We all rent all lot of cars. The sportier the car the hard my coworkers are on them. Trucks, usually people want to haul something.

My everyday car was all rental return, I have had it for 18 years, and absolutely no issues, at all. It is bare bones model, never would be considered sporty.

As for buying unseen, I know people who would do it. Me I like to look over everything closely.
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:16 PM   #5

"The only true off road vehicle is a rental car!"

Murff

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:06 PM   #6

Considering that a certain percentage of the "Certified Pre Owned" vehicles that are on dealer lots and vehicles that end up at places like CarMax, Carvana, etc. are ex rental vehicles, it probably isn't a bad choice buying one, especially if you know what you are getting going in. Thousands of people do every year with good results.

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:18 PM   #7

We have rented pickups from a local enterprise location that is big in commercial trucks and vans. I would not think twice about buying one based on what we rented, most had low miles, very clean in and out, they don't keep them long before selling. If the price is right I would buy it, not sure about not seeing it first.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Considering that a certain percentage of the "Certified Pre Owned" vehicles that are on dealer lots and vehicles that end up at places like CarMax, Carvana, etc. are ex rental vehicles, it probably isn't a bad choice buying one, especially if you know what you are getting going in. Thousands of people do every year with good results.
You are right on the money, you can look at the Carfax report and it will list if it was a private owner or rental vehicle. I was looking at a local Ford dealers used late model truck inventory and almost all of them said rental vehicle as the first registered buyer.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:38 PM   #9

Quote:
. . . The truck looks clean on the web, but would you be willing to take a gamble and buy a vehicle sight unseen?
I purchased a nearly new, low-mileage truck sight unseen a few years ago. However, I didn't give a deposit and make travel plans until the salesperson agreed to take 50-60 close-up pics under the hood, interior, under the chassis, and, of course, the exterior. This was above and beyond the 15-20 pics they already had online.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:25 PM   #10

Quote:

In 2006 we bought a 2005 Grand Prix lease return. There was some undercarriage damage to the rear of the car at one time. Like some body backed over something. With that said, we have no trouble with the car. It is still our car.

Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote