Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2015, 09:09 AM   #1

Replacement Hitch for my Tahoe

The orignal GM hitch on my Tahoe is showing its age. Rust flaking off and some thin spots where the hitch slides in. After upgrading to a bigger camper last spring and towing with it all summer long, I decided that after this winter, I think the hitch should be replaced for safety reasons. I have no evidance that it is going to fall off, but the camper is quite heavy and I dont want to have to worry about any problems this summer. I'm looking at a reese style (Class 3 or 4) from my local Napa store. It is not one of those adjustable models and is a direct fit for only certin GM models. I've heard people talking of curt hitches but I haven't looked to see if there are any dealers in my area. Are there any other brands I should be looking at?

Hopefully this will also help with my hitch height (I think the aftermarket hitches dont have the drop to them like the GM ones do). Our current camper sites considerably higher than our last one (in my pic by my name) and the hitch as acutally on the bottom of the frame of the camper vs the top.

Thanks for your input! Dave

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:50 AM   #2

I'd be less concerned about brand and just focus on capacity. You might check etrailer.com. Not always the cheapest but excellent service and good quality products. I've bought several hitches, my Prodigy brake controller, and other towing accessories form them.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:35 AM   #3

Thanks for the tip!

I went to etrailer and did order a Curt with a very heavy tongue and towing capacity. Heavier than than the napa one by far. Souldn't have a problem handling the camper. They had free shipping on orders over $99 so I ordered a jack extender too. Thanks again! Dave

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote