Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #1

Post Replacing a hitch on a TV

So....we are on our last trip of the season and are with a few other friends. Last night around the campfire, it was mentioned the one of our friends "has to replace his hitch". He was told that hitches should be replaced every 7-10 years. I just started to laugh. Really? Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? I Googled it and nothing. I think my friend was misinformed. I've never heard anything like that in my life. Now...after an accident being struck from behind or if its severely rusted then OK. To clarify this...it is the receiver....not the ball.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #2

Never heard of it either, unless it's been wrecked or tweaked one way or another.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #3

I have never heard of that either. I guess I learn something new every day.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nope, never heard of it.

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:01 AM   #5

Replacing a hitch on a TV

Your friend must have been mis informed.
Unless a hitch is compromised in some way from an accident or severe rust it should not have to be replaced.
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lx22f/c View Post
Your friend must have been mis informed.
Unless a hitch is compromised in some way from an accident or severe rust it should not have to be replaced.
I concur. Ask your friend if he changes the air in his tires every 50,000 miles as you are supposed to. After a certain number of heat/cool cycles it loses its compressability and must be changed.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #7

Perhaps this nasty rumor was started by someone selling or manufacturing hitches. That would really help business. You know how things work. If someone says something enough times it will become true.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
I concur. Ask your friend if he changes the air in his tires every 50,000 miles as you are supposed to. After a certain number of heat/cool cycles it loses its compressability and must be changed.
With winter coming, ask your friend if he puts winter air into his tires. Perhaps ask about when was the last time he added blinker fluid.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #9

Replacing a hitch on a TV

I just saw a hitch replaced that needed it. It had cracked welds. It was an Oem hitch on a 1 ton dura max.

It had towed a toy hauler or an open car hauler probably 40-50k miles. Never overloaded but more dirt roads than we see. Supported off road race cars from here (Wa) all the way to Baja.

He noticed some clanging noises and added a clamp thing to keep the hitch insert from moving in the receiver. After that didn't work he saw the cracked welds.

So they do wear out, but I don't think it's a calendar type thing. No accidents or any real rust either.
G Bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #10

Well after some friendly jabbing and more laughing I got to the root of his concerns. Seems as though one of his in laws was killed some years ago by someone driving in front of his car towing an RV out in New Mexico. He was told the hitch was worn out and fell apart. The RV flipped and his in law tried to avoid it and was killed. I felt terrible hearing this story.

Although I'm not sure he got all the details of the accident, I assured him there wasn't a need to replace his hitch as often as he does. I'm sure there is more to this story....overloading......blowout...etc.

My advice to him was just to have it inspected every year and save his money. No more discussions about this subject came up about it again. Wow! I feel bad for laughing at him.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #11

I have a frame hitch on my 1976 Ford F150 that was installed in 1976, used regularly, and is still in fine condition. Another on a 1972 brand X (before I parted ways with GM over their worthless warranties) that is still just fine, last time it was used a good while back. As previous posters have indicated, steel is steel, and as long as it is not damaged, either by distortion or rust, it will remain steel, with the same strength it had when new. The ball may wear out if not greased, but the hitch will be fine. Even balls are good for a long time - I have one that was purchased by my grandfather somewhere in the 1940's that I still use with no problem.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #12

Lots of things that can go wrong with a tow, but agree a hitch system doesn't age by itself. Had an incident when a trailer popped off an undersized ball and one where the driver failed to lock the trailer to the ball. Sorry to hear the bad story on this one, but for sure it wasn't an aged hitch problem.

Have to admit a mistake I made years ago when I pulled my runabout for the first time. Hooked it up using the 1-7/8" ball I used with my first pop-up. Got away with it [short tow] but it could have been a disaster. Always verify the required ball required by a new tow.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:28 AM   #13

Never heard of a hitch Aging out. I do crawl underneath the TV once a years or so and take at look at the fasteners.
Last time out I pulled over like I always do about 4 or 5 miles in just to check things over,and discovered I had forgotten the keeper pin fir the ball lock.
Pitch1 is offline   Reply With Quote