Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-12-2020, 08:24 AM   #1
TWX

Setting up load-leveling hitch

I'm pretty sure I've done this right, but I haven't had a chance to hook up to the trailer to check and I have no prior experience anyway, Call this post asking for a sanity check.

Bought a used 2019 174BH Baja, which came with Husky Centerline TS 32215 load leveling hitch. When I observed seller's truck the trailer was a bit more nose-down than I expected. The trailer isn't parked on perfectly level ground so I:

• Measured from the ground to the frame at the axle and got 22".
  • Added three inches for the height from bottom of the frame to the top of the ball-socket on the tongue.
  • Disassembled the existing LL hitch and took the drawbar dropbar and reoriented from ┐ to ┘ in the truck receiver.
  • Installed the remainder of the LL hitch onto the truck with the ball at just over 25", figuring the extra weight will bring down the truck closer to two inches.

Does this sound right? Instructions on the LL hitch call for a torque specification that I cannot meet with my current tools, so I'll probably have to go by somewhere and have torqued. Obviously I'll need to hook up to test and confirm that the torsion beams are able to apply proper force on their receiver hooks on the sides of the tongue before doing that.

Thanks,
TWX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:57 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWX View Post
I'm pretty sure I've done this right, but I haven't had a chance to hook up to the trailer to check and I have no prior experience anyway, Call this post asking for a sanity check.

Bought a used 2019 174BH Baja, which came with Husky Centerline TS 32215 load leveling hitch. When I observed seller's truck the trailer was a bit more nose-down than I expected. The trailer isn't parked on perfectly level ground so I:

• Measured from the ground to the frame at the axle and got 22".
  • Added three inches for the height from bottom of the frame to the top of the ball-socket on the tongue.
  • Disassembled the existing LL hitch and took the drawbar dropbar and reoriented from ┐ to ┘ in the truck receiver.
  • Installed the remainder of the LL hitch onto the truck with the ball at just over 25", figuring the extra weight will bring down the truck closer to two inches.

Does this sound right? Instructions on the LL hitch call for a torque specification that I cannot meet with my current tools, so I'll probably have to go by somewhere and have torqued. Obviously I'll need to hook up to test and confirm that the torsion beams are able to apply proper force on their receiver hooks on the sides of the tongue before doing that.

Thanks,

Sounds right. You may have to tweak a bit after it’s all hitched up and loaded for travel. That’s normal.

I would suggest going to Harbor Freight and getting your own torque wrench and socket. Checking the torque on hitch bolts is a regular maintenance item.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 11:04 AM   #3
TWX

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
Sounds right. You may have to tweak a bit after it’s all hitched up and loaded for travel. That’s normal.

I would suggest going to Harbor Freight and getting your own torque wrench and socket. Checking the torque on hitch bolts is a regular maintenance item.

Thanks.

Unfortunately the bolt torque is 380ftlb and HF doesn't have anything anywhere close to that even in 3/4 drive. I may shop around but I don't expect to find a discount-priced torque wrench with that capability. When I undid those two fasteners it was a chore even with a 36" breaker bar. I won't say it's impossible for them to back out but it seems awfully unlikely. I can mark 'em with a paint pen to confirm they're still in the same position as when torqued.
TWX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
centerline, height, husky, load leveling hitch, tongue