Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2016, 02:11 PM   #1

Shopping for a new TV - thoughts?

So, after a near failure of the ever popular "clean underwear test" I have decided to upgrade my TV to a 350/3500 diesel. I am leaning towards a Ram Mega Cab SRW 4x4 with the Cummins diesel, an AISIN tranny and the Auto Rear Leveling Air Suspension. I'm not looking for advice on doing anything different with the truck with regards to drivetrain (drove all the various combinations), however, I am curious if others have experience and/or an informed technical opinion on the value of the factory air bags? I am towing a 28BHBE Elite. She is a heavy beast and my goal is a worry-free and more relaxing tow experience - which I haven't yet enjoyed...

On a broader note, I'm also curious if anyone thinks I should wait for the new Ford F-350? I saw recently they will have a bit more torque. That doesn't really seem like an issue at this level for what I am doing. However, relative to my first question does anyone know if Ford is going to have a feature like the Ram's factory airbags? Or should I even worry about getting those? I am a bit partial to Fords, I must confess, but I am not going to be a fanboy when it comes to this - I want the best tool for the job. And just to get it out of the way, I am not a GM hater at all, but the rear cab space is a good bit tighter than the Mega and a bit tighter than the standard Super Crew Ford (I have a '15 F150 SCREW which is the exact same box as the new Super Duty and it works ok for us). I have two kids and two dogs that travel with so I want to maximize cab space - which gives a bit of an edge still to the Ram, but are there other compelling things I should consider specifically with respect to the upcoming new Ford? Do people think the blindspot tech that will take the trailer into account will be great? I saw you can get a 110V outlet in the bed, which would be great and I don't think you can get with the Ram - anything else I am missing?

Thanks for any info you guys can provide!
LittleLuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:25 PM   #2

Ford will not offer air bags next year. You can buy them and install them yourself. It's true that torque will increase but it will be just a matter of time before others follow suit. Actually, RAM is working on MORE torque than Ford as we speak. The Mega Cab is a nice truck but man oh man..it's looooong. Try parking that in a mall parking lot at Christmas! As you can probably tell, I'm a Ford man. Have been working for them for 30+ years and I've seen and heard it all when it comes to the Ford, Chevy and Dodge battle. Anyway you go, you can't go wrong. All the major lines are players in this scenario.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:28 PM   #3

Do you think it would be worth putting the air bags on an F-350? I'm partial to Fords, as I said so I'm kind of looking for an excuse to wait and get one...
Old 07-27-2016, 03:51 PM   #4

I have air bags and I love them. I'd recommend them! Can't hurt and it's a better ride.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:57 PM   #5

Here are some things to consider regarding the f350

1) 440 HP
2) 925 Foot pounds of torque
3) Get this one a 48 gallon fuel tank with the 8' bed. YES 48 gallons I had to ask 3 times to make sure. 48 gallons WOW I'm going to love that
4) 8 cameras. 6 that gives you a 360 degree view around the truck 1 in the bed for hitching and 1 on the rear of the trailer (with the trailer package)
5) Up to 6 trailer tire TPMS sensors (with the package)
6) Adaptive cruse control
7) A 6 aux switch cluster in the head liner
8) Full cab panoramic sun roof
9) the cab is 3" wider and I think it was 4" or 5" longer lots more leg room in the back seat
10) heated & cooled massaging front seats
11) heated rear seats
12) 27.5K Reese fithwheel hitch
13) Goose neck ball hitch
14) Exhaust brake
15) Bigger Axles
16) Bigger brakes
17) All Aluminum body & cab
18) The cockpit is awesome

I'm hoping to have one in my driveway one day [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Here are some things to consider regarding the f350

1) 440 HP
2) 925 Foot pounds of torque
3) Get this one a 48 gallon fuel tank with the 8' bed. YES 48 gallons I had to ask 3 times to make sure. 48 gallons WOW I'm going to love that
4) 8 cameras. 6 that gives you a 360 degree view around the truck 1 in the bed for hitching and 1 on the rear of the trailer (with the trailer package)
5) Up to 6 trailer tire TPMS sensors (with the package)
6) Adaptive cruse control
7) A 6 aux switch cluster in the head liner
8) Full cab panoramic sun roof
9) the cab is 3" wider and I think it was 4" or 5" longer lots more leg room in the back seat
10) heated & cooled massaging front seats
11) heated rear seats
12) 27.5K Reese fithwheel hitch
13) Goose neck ball hitch
14) Exhaust brake
15) Bigger Axles
16) Bigger brakes
17) All Aluminum body & cab
18) The cockpit is awesome

I'm hoping to have one in my driveway one day [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But the most important question is...What's the cost?
Old 07-27-2016, 07:17 PM   #7

Depending on trim level and options, anywhere from $65-$80k

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:58 AM   #8
PMC

The 3500 with Cummins and Aisin will pull that trailer like it's not even there. No experience with the factory airbags but with the same tongue weight on my trailer the rear doesn't move on my truck (3500 6.7 Aisin CCSB no bags).
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:00 AM   #9

My only suggestion is to drive all 3. I ended up with a Ram after being a Ford man most of my life. I did put aftermarket airbags on my Ram and wouldn't be without them!
Old 07-28-2016, 07:40 AM   #10

I drive a 2013 Ram 3500 with the 6.7 Cummins and the Aisin. Tows 16,000 pound fifth wheel with ease and I get (with no wind) about 11 mpg. We have aftermarket airbags but only have 5 lbs of pressure in them. I don't have any sag to speak of with 4000 pound pin weight.

My wife's 2014 Ram 1500 has the factory air bags and we love it. Lowers the truck for ease of entry and exit, automatically lowers it at highway speeds to get best economy, and automatically adjusts to keep the truck level when we haul the horse trailer. My next 3500 will definitely have the factory air bags.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:44 AM   #11
Lost in the Woods

If you are having stability issues, first thing I would look at is your setup. You don't mention what the payload of your F150 or weights of your trailer. They are quite a few forum members that are towing the 28BHBE with properly equipped half tons without issue, myself included. If your packing habits require a 350/3500 and your are willing to pay the additional expense of a diesel, you'll love the extra 400 ft/lbs of torque when towing, but trading your new F150 unnecessarily can be an expensive proposition. Stability issues, when towing within specs with a new F150, are the result of not having an adequate hitch and/or an improper setup.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:22 AM   #12

Without going into too much detail, the good news is I don't need to sell or trade the F150 to make this happen - it will stay in the family. I'll actually be coming off lease on another family vehicle and then just replace it with a new HD TV. Short answer is I am finding that actual tongue weight, plus 2 large labs, 2 growing kids, and everyone's junk in the truck is pushing payload at or likely beyond where they should be. Also, I think you are right about the hitch - I am re-evaluating that now. However, I just want to be in a place to tow this trailer without any worries.