Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-23-2016, 06:29 PM   #11

I would always use at least 8 ply on a TV. A friend destroyed some 4 ply tires on his Suburban, while merely towing a boat. CHP officer advised him he's lucky he didn't roll the thing over, as that usually happens, and 8 ply is minimal for any significant towing.

Having said that, my choice when I towed the trailer was always BFG A/T KO 8 ply. High temp rating, and plenty of toughness. Secondarily, if you can find Cooper STMaxx as an all terrain choice, those are probably just as good, as are the Toyo Open Country. Don't know if all are available in 8 ply, however.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:27 PM   #12

I am having Michelin Defenders with load range E installed this week. Moving away from passenger tires on my F150. Traded emails with Michelin and they gave me carrying capacities at various PSI so that I can adjust them between towing and not towing for a better more controlled ride.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:12 PM   #13

I ran some Toyo Open Country AT's a few years back on a Chevy 1500 I owned. Pricey tires, but I had a buddy that worked at the tire dealer and got a really good deal. I really liked the tires, but they wore very fast (25k miles +/- as I recall). For me, they weren't worth the premium price they typically demand and not something I'd go for again.

This is the first set of BFG's I've ran in a really long time. Last time was a Corvette and that was many moons ago. A different type of tire altogether and the experience was just so-so at the time, although the tire demanded a premium dollar. Based on that I was a little leery to dump the cash on BFG's but the reviews on the KO2's really are great. Lots of guys getting 60-80k on a set. Plus as I already mentioned, it was the look I wanted and gave me traction for a variety of obstacles.

Here are a few pics of them on my truck:

Old 05-24-2016, 07:38 AM   #14

Have Michelin MS. 2s LT. On the Tundra great summer tire perhaps a little over kill being 10 ply on a heavy half ton but very tough tires. Terrible in snow though.
hoss10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:04 AM   #15

I have Michelin A/T 2's on my truck and I love them. Got me through last winter with 3 ft of snow. That being said, my last truck (05 F150) had Goodyears on it. I put a total of 224,000 miles on the truck. It only had tires 3 times. Same Goodyears. I was honestly getting about 75,000 miles per set. When my service dept asked what tires I wanted to put back on it, I said "What do you think?"
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:54 AM   #16

I use Goodyear Duratrac. LT 265 70R17 on my Ram 1500. They are E rated...best tire I have ever owned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimits76 View Post
I ran some Toyo Open Country AT's a few years back on a Chevy 1500 I owned. Pricey tires, but I had a buddy that worked at the tire dealer and got a really good deal. I really liked the tires, but they wore very fast (25k miles +/- as I recall). For me, they weren't worth the premium price they typically demand and not something I'd go for again.

This is the first set of BFG's I've ran in a really long time. Last time was a Corvette and that was many moons ago. A different type of tire altogether and the experience was just so-so at the time, although the tire demanded a premium dollar. Based on that I was a little leery to dump the cash on BFG's but the reviews on the KO2's really are great. Lots of guys getting 60-80k on a set. Plus as I already mentioned, it was the look I wanted and gave me traction for a variety of obstacles.

Here are a few pics of them on my truck:

Damn, I like those tires! Someone talk me into buying them! If a deflate them then I'm sure they'll perform fairly well on sand huh? Better than a highway tire.

Spur is offline   Reply With Quote