Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-16-2018, 06:48 PM   #1

Should I buy a new WDH

I just upgraded my TV from a 2013 F150 to a 2017 F250.

I'm curious about one thing. The hitch receiver has a 2 1/2" opening. The WDH I have is a 2" model.

The truck came with an adapter to reduce the opening to 2". I'm guessing that provided the ball mount has enough adjustment room to let me get the 3" additional drop then I could just continue using that hitch, right?
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:57 PM   #2

I have a Dodge Ram 2500 and it has the reducer for the receiver. That's what I use and it works fine. I would suggest painting the edge of the reducer red so you remember to remove it when you remove your ball or you'll be buying another at the most inopportune time, I know. I'm on my 3rd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2018, 07:06 PM   #3

Congratulations on the new TV! We updated TV last April from 2014 F150 to a 2017 F350 and it came with two reducers in the hitch to get from the 3" receiver to 2". We used an equalizer WD hitch since with the two reducers with no problems at all including a long trip from MA to FL.

Woodworker has a great point! I personally never removed the hitch away from home so I was fortunate to have never lost a reducer.
FordandJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
I would suggest painting the edge of the reducer red so you remember to remove it when you remove your ball or you'll be buying another at the most inopportune time, I know. I'm on my 3rd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Good idea there. I drove all over Colorado springs with my reducer in there unpinned. I was lucky I didn't lose it.

As to the original question, my hitch worked great with the reducer. I found no reason to buy a new head.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:43 AM   #5

Thanks for the input folks. I suppose I should actually measure the receiver and take a close look at it. Now I'm not sure if it's a 2 1/2" with one adapter or a 3" with two adapters. I just "assumed" 2 1/2".

The new truck is getting a Line-X liner put on today, but I get to pick it up after work so I'll check that. It's important because since I tow my boat, ATV trailer and 20' flatbed hay trailer I am just going to buy an adjustable hitch with up to a 7" drop for those and I want that one to fit with no adapters. That way I can just leave the adapter(s) on the WDH in the TT.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:32 PM   #6

I would recommend replacing the shank of the WDH with the proper shank. They make 2 1/2" shanks. I found mine online. Can you use an adapter? Probably. But why?

I replaced my Equil-i-zer shank with the proper size. Actually to be accurate I bought one without the shank....
Prior 2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS
jlechmanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:27 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Thanks for the input folks. I suppose I should actually measure the receiver and take a close look at it. Now I'm not sure if it's a 2 1/2" with one adapter or a 3" with two adapters. I just "assumed" 2 1/2".

The new truck is getting a Line-X liner put on today, but I get to pick it up after work so I'll check that. It's important because since I tow my boat, ATV trailer and 20' flatbed hay trailer I am just going to buy an adjustable hitch with up to a 7" drop for those and I want that one to fit with no adapters. That way I can just leave the adapter(s) on the WDH in the TT.

I don't want to take this thread off topic, but like you, I have multiple trailers. I finally purchased an adjustable hitch a couple years ago and I absolutely love it. It makes life so much easier not to have to worry about having the correct hitch with you if you are moving from trailer to trailer. I have the B&W Tow and Stow but other companies make fine units also.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlechmanik View Post
I would recommend replacing the shank of the WDH with the proper shank. They make 2 1/2" shanks. I found mine online. Can you use an adapter? Probably. But why?

I replaced my Equil-i-zer shank with the proper size. Actually to be accurate I bought one without the shank....
My knee-jerk reaction to "why use the adapter" was "so I didn't have to spend more money buying something I didn't really need". Before I typed it I realized it would sound stupid since I just bought a $71,000 truck.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I don't want to take this thread off topic, but like you, I have multiple trailers. I finally purchased an adjustable hitch a couple years ago and I absolutely love it. It makes life so much easier not to have to worry about having the correct hitch with you if you are moving from trailer to trailer. I have the B&W Tow and Stow but other companies make fine units also.
No worries about taking it off topic. I'm glad you did. That's what I'm ordering - a B&W Tow and Stow 7" drop/7.5" rise with the 1 7/8", 2" and 2 5/16" balls.

Cool.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:57 PM   #10

Oh, and I measured the receiver. It's a 2 1/2" with one 2" reducer. I guess I should say reducer since it's really a more accurate term for the thing.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:08 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
No worries about taking it off topic. I'm glad you did. That's what I'm ordering - a B&W Tow and Stow 7" drop/7.5" rise with the 1 7/8", 2" and 2 5/16" balls.

Cool.
I have the 9" drop/rise with the 2" and 2 5/16" only. I wish I would have purchased the 7" as you are getting. The 9" is just a little to low in the drop position and I end up scraping it off the ground every once in a while.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Old 01-18-2018, 09:12 PM   #12

Quote:
I have the 9" drop/rise with the 2" and 2 5/16" only. I wish I would have purchased the 7" as you are getting. The 9" is just a little to low in the drop position and I end up scraping it off the ground every once in a while.
That's the main reason I bought the 7" drop instead of the 9" drop. I read about that problem in the reviews on Amazon from someone who bought the 9" drop model for an F250. Also, the lowest trailer I tow is my ATV trailer. On my F150 I was using a 4 1/4" drop for that trailer. The F250 hitch is 3" higher, so I figured 7" was as low as I needed.

I'm curious about one thing. If the 9" drop is scraping and if you don't really need the extra drop, couldn't you just cut off the excess since you already have it?
Old 01-18-2018, 11:47 PM   #13

Quote:
My knee-jerk reaction to "why use the adapter" was "so I didn't have to spend more money buying something I didn't really need". Before I typed it I realized it would sound stupid since I just bought a $71,000 truck.

Exactly. Why compromise your expensive truck and expensive trailer by using an adapter. It also creates additional play. Now if that isn't important then do what you want. But to me the $70 was worth it....
Prior 2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS
jlechmanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:35 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
That's the main reason I bought the 7" drop instead of the 9" drop. I read about that problem in the reviews on Amazon from someone who bought the 9" drop model for an F250. Also, the lowest trailer I tow is my ATV trailer. On my F150 I was using a 4 1/4" drop for that trailer. The F250 hitch is 3" higher, so I figured 7" was as low as I needed.

I'm curious about one thing. If the 9" drop is scraping and if you don't really need the extra drop, couldn't you just cut off the excess since you already have it?
The way it designed, the adjustment track almost goes the entire length. It wouldn't be practical to modify.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:58 AM   #15

Quote:
The way it designed, the adjustment track almost goes the entire length. It wouldn't be practical to modify.
Ah, okay. I haven't actually seen one in person yet.