Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2020, 09:06 AM   #1

Should I get Air Suspension Kit??

I did a quick search and didn't find anything that really answered my questions...sorry if this is a repeat.

I'm pulling a 7,500lb. GVW trailer with a 2018 f-150. I try to keep the trailer weight at about 7,000lb. going down the road and everything is doing well. Wind will cause a little havoc, but everything seems good to go otherwise.

I plan on putting a leveling kit on my pickup and am considering adding the Airlift Load Lifter 5000 when I do in order to maintain the level stance of the truck once I connect to the trailer. I know nothing about airbags...so here's a few questions:

1) What benefit is there to adding them to the suspension system?
2) How will they help the towing performance?
3) How will it effect the ride while towing?
4) Will it effect the ride of of the truck when NOT towing?
5) My max tongue weight will never exceed 1,200lb, so are these bags I'm considering overkill being as they're rated up to 5,000lb? (They do have a 2,000lb option)

I'm also considering installing a sway bar on the pickup's rear axle. I don't know anything about these either...never even heard of them, but the guy at the 4x4 store said they're great. Anyone have any thoughts or advice on these? Questions 2, 3, & 4 above would apply. Here's a link to what I'm looking at

Thanks in advance!!!
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:37 AM   #2

First thing it does not change your towing capacity. It can change your ride height which can affect your WHD setup. It will have zero affect on wind causing havoc.

What do you have for a WDH? Does it have an integrated sway control? Who setup your WDH? You might want to pull the manual and confirm it is still correctly setup. If it was set it up for an empty TT, you may need to adjust to transfer more weight to your front wheels.

What does your yellow door stick say about payload? What do you haul inside the TV, you might be getting close on payload capacity pending on your TV setup.

I did install a FireStone model in my TV, primary reason, my TV is getting old the suspension is getting soft. I inflate my air bags in the spring to my hauling pressure (25psi) and pretty much leave it there. In the winter I drop the pressure to about 5 psi (minimum recommended pressure). I do not notice much difference in ride. 25 psi, lifts the back of my TV about an inch, when disconnected from the TT. I connected my two airbags together with one fill port, so makes it easy to adjust.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:45 AM   #3

I was trying to decide between air bags and sumo springs on my f250. I went with the sumo springs. They claim they also help with sway. Cannot confirm. I haul a fifthwheel they helped a lot with the bucking over bridges. Definitely worth the money.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:19 AM   #4

First thing it does not change your towing capacity.
Completely understood
What do you have for a WDH? Does it have an integrated sway control? Who setup your WDH?
Husky Centerline with sway control
Trailer dealer set it up (poorly), I dialed it in after several trips to the CAT scales and emails and a phone call with the manufacturer.
It is definitely set up correctly.
What does your yellow door stick say about payload? What do you haul inside the TV, you might be getting close on payload capacity pending on your TV setup.
I am safely within all weight limits on each axle, tongue, trailer, etc.
The trailer pulls well...I'm extremely detail oriented so all is dialed in very very well. I think that it is absolutely as good as it can get with all stock suspension on the truck and the WDH that I have. BUT, if I can improve on that for safety and to reduce wear and tear on my pickup, I am wide open to it.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:22 AM   #5

I have had Firestone RideRite air bag systems in my last 4 trucks, so approx 14 years experience with them, all GMC's. Each truck has had a leveling kit and I wanted to keep the level stance when empty, a payload in the box, towing my boat or when towing my TT. The last 2 systems have had on-board compressors so I can adjust on the go no matter what I am asking the truck to do.

1) What benefit is there to adding them to the suspension system?

It really adds to the ride comfort, stability and control when loaded or towing. No effect on ride when not.........win/win, I will never have another truck without air bags. When not inflated you don't even know they are there, as the instructions indicate I keep 10 PSI in them when empty of not towing and still no effect on comfort or ride.

2) How will they help the towing performance?

Provide greater stability and control while also providing comfort and sway control. Worth noting that stability and sway control also have a lot to do with tire rating on the TV, LT tires with stiffer sidewalls are the way to go. Tires on the TT also provide sway control, GY Endurance have been good to me.

3) How will it effect the ride while towing?

As above

4) Will it effect the ride of of the truck when NOT towing?

As above......nope.

5) My max tongue weight will never exceed 1,200lb, so are these bags I'm considering overkill being as they're rated up to 5,000lb?

You are mistaken if you're intent is to increase capacity of your TV. I still use a WDH set up, as bags do not transfer weight to the front of your TV and onto your steers..............they simply add to control and stability.
freetime58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:06 PM   #6

Propride hitch

I have a similar weight camper that I tow with a 2017 F150 ecoboost.
I started with a regular WDH with dual friction anti-sway bars. After about a year I upgraded to a Propride hitch. Its truly like night and day. No sway! Trucks passing don't bother me and wind has little effect. Its an expensive hitch (about $3k) but it is more than worth every penny!
Moseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime58 View Post
I have had Firestone RideRite air bag systems in my last 4 trucks, so approx 14 years experience with them, all GMC's. Each truck has had a leveling kit and I wanted to keep the level stance when empty, a payload in the box, towing my boat or when towing my TT. The last 2 systems have had on-board compressors so I can adjust on the go no matter what I am asking the truck to do.
freetime58....

Thank you for the input...this was exactly what I was looking for! No, my intent is not to increase my capacity...I understand that adding airbags would not impact the towing/payload capacity.

Thanks again!
Old 06-22-2020, 07:14 PM   #8

The load lifter 5000 ultimate can run empty so it’s like they’re not there when you don’t need them. Others need 5 psi minimum all the time.
SeaJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaJay View Post
The load lifter 5000 ultimate can run empty so it’s like they’re not there when you don’t need them. Others need 5 psi minimum all the time.
Trust me at 5 or 10 psi, you don't know they are there either! It's basically io keep from damaging the bags.
freetime58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 09:03 PM   #10

I run airbags on my 04 Tundra. Once I leveled the front end it tended to ride low in the rear. They make everything ride level whether I have a TT or a load of wood. When not in use I keep them at 5 psi. When I forget to deflate them and run them at 20 psi with no load you know they are there. It's pretty stiff. It definitely helps with porpoising. I think they are great on 1/2t tow vehicles.
Adios Pantelones is offline   Reply With Quote