Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-16-2011, 09:56 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
snip........ Some feedback I've received from a TT owner with a similar set-up to what I am consider is he has had acceptable performance on highways and moderate grades. We shall see
Sounds like the feedback from the other TT owner addressed your original question..., let us know if you find the performance towing the 19RD acceptable as well.

I can only summarize by saying confirm your TV's "actual" tow rating, and the 19RD's actual "ship weight" (higher than UVW 4,140lbs).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:57 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
I can only summarize by saying confirm your TV's "actual" tow rating, and the 19RD's actual "ship weight" (higher than UVW 4,140lbs).

Bob
I'm sure you're correct and at some point I'll do the only thing that will tell the true tale, weigh them both in trip configuration.

Another issue is maximum hitch and axle weight. While switching gear ratio increases the maximum trailer weight to 6,700 lbs and the maximum combined vehicle weight to 12,000 lbs, the hitch maximum with WD is only 10,000 lbs.

The maximum axle weights are 3,600/3,950 (front/rear) so if I attempted to tow a 6,700 lb trailer (15% tongue weight) with a truck loaded to the max (I think the maximum gross weight 6,400 lbs) I'm pretty sure the rear axle weight limit could be exceeded.

2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:37 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
Look forward hearing the response from Goodyear.
Goodyear Consumer Relations just responded to my query:

Quote:
Sent by: Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Consumer Relations 728 1144 East
Market Street Akron, OH 44316 Voice #: 800.321.2136 Fax #:

Thank you for contacting our website.

The P265/70R17 Goodyear tire that came original on your 2011 Ram 1500 is
either the Wrangler SR-A, or the Wrangler HP. Both of these tires would be
suitable for towing, when towing we recommend inflating the tires to the
max inflation. The air pressure indicated on the sidewall of each tire is
the max inflation pressure.

Daniel T. Gibbs
Consumer Relations
My truck is equipped with the Wrangler SR_A tires, and I do make sure to inflate them to the maximum pressure (44 pounds) when towing. With my previous truck, the 2500 Ram CTD, the rear tire pressures maxed at 80 pounds, so I've been somewhat concerned about the lower pressure tires I have on my truck.

I know I'm not even getting close to their rated weight load (2535 pounds each). My truck weighs right at 5500 pounds with me in it and full of gas. When towing the trailer my total payload (minus the 150# allowed for the driver) is no more than 300 pounds, since I load most everything in the trailer.

Add to that a tongue weight of about 900 pounds, I'm well below the maximum payload for my truck of 1529 pounds. My TT is more than 20% under the maximum towing weight.

Even though I'm sure that using "LT" rated tires instead of the "P" rated tires I have would offer a more stable ride, I feel confident that my tires are completely adequate for my towing needs.

Bill
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:55 AM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
Goodyear Consumer Relations just responded to my query:

My truck is equipped with the Wrangler SR_A tires, and I do make sure to inflate them to the maximum pressure (44 pounds) when towing. With my previous truck, the 2500 Ram CTD, the rear tire pressures maxed at 80 pounds, so I've been somewhat concerned about the lower pressure tires I have on my truck.

I know I'm not even getting close to their rated weight load (2535 pounds each). My truck weighs right at 5500 pounds with me in it and full of gas. When towing the trailer my total payload (minus the 150# allowed for the driver) is no more than 300 pounds, since I load most everything in the trailer.

Add to that a tongue weight of about 900 pounds, I'm well below the maximum payload for my truck of 1529 pounds. My TT is more than 20% under the maximum towing weight.

Even though I'm sure that using "LT" rated tires instead of the "P" rated tires I have would offer a more stable ride, I feel confident that my tires are completely adequate for my towing needs.

Bill

That`s one thought I had with the P tires, you would already exceed the trucks RAWR and GVWR well before going over what the tires are rated for.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #35

Given all that has been mention it sounds like the challenge is understanding where the weakest link is with a particular TT/TV combination.

In my situation even if I changed the gearing to 3.73 and utilize a WDH to increase the maximum trailer and combined vehicle weight to 6,700/12,000 I couldn't enjoy the benefit of these increases given the limit on the rear axle weight (3,950 lbs), hitch limit (10,000 lbs) and maximum tire load (2,250 lbs).

2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote