Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #1

Skylark Towing

Do any current or previous owners of Skylarks have any towing advice, wd bar info or stabilizer info for a new Skylark owner? We are looking to tow through the Rockies, as well, sometime in the future. For now just eastern Canada and the States. We pick up the Skylark in two weeks.

We are towing with a 2013 Ford Explorer 4WD with towing package.

Thanks in advance
Tom
Amateur Photographer
Family History Researcher
Former Canoe Camper & Retired Airline Pilot
tjerrard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:47 AM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. Check out the links in post # 2 of this previous thread on Skylark hitches....

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...k+weight+hitch
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #3

Thank you
Amateur Photographer
Old 07-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #4

We pulled our Skylark without a stabilizer bar recommended by the dealer with an X-Terra from Las Vegas to Alaska. I'm not saying a stabilizer bar would not have improved the ride, but it handled pretty well. We are newbies and a bit naive, but don't think we will ad a stabilizer bar after 4000 miles of travel.
vistagrabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:19 PM   #5

We tow our Skylark 21FBV with a 2008 Toyota FJ. We have a stabilizer on the trailer but still notice a little sway. I am looking into purchasing the new Anderson WD hitch. Everything I have read about it makes it sound great and the concept is perfect especially with the light wait of the hitch. My only concern is what type of coupler is on the FBV. I have read that there are some concerns about a certain coupler wearing incorrectly and possibly coming loose while towing. Will have to contact Jayco to find out what kind of coupler my FBV has on it before I move forward with the purchase.
cforman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Skyron
We tow our Skylark FKV with a 2005 4Runner V8 Toyota using the Reese 66151 WD hitch and do notice some very limited non threatening sway action from large trucks and uneven roads. I had a friction sway bar on the shelf so thought I would give it a try. The friction applied by the added sway bar is not all that much but is all that was needed to add that final bit of stability and comfort level while towing. I use the added sway bar most of the time but not always. I can not back up with the sway bar attached which can be an inconvenience.
I regularly check the tongue weight with a Sherline scale and border around 400 to 420 pounds. The gross Skylark weight is 3500 pounds.
Food for thought.

We are looking forward to leaving with the Skylark on a 5 week excursion to Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick. The Jayco Forum site has been very helpful making towing more enjoyable.

Skyron
Skyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:15 PM   #7

Tow my skylark with Reese dual cam wd and sway control hitch. Am near 30K miles towing Skylark and have had no problems. Tow with a dodge 1500 pickup. No white knuckle experiences.
rog4kneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #8

Thanks everyone. We pickup our Skylark last Monday and towed to a close Provincial Park (Ontario Canada). We towed without any WD or sway bar of any kind. It towed well with the 2013 Explorer and the load I had in it at about 3400. We camped for 2 nights so our food and clothing load was light. The towing was in high cross winds . I did notice some, very little, sway/rocking at around 100km/hr but at 80-90 km/hr the tow was comfortable. Admittedly the tow was short distance and not on major highways. As an aside the TV was around 5500lbs and although I do not know what the tongue weight was in this configuration the TV & TT looked fairly level.
I intend to load up in the next week orso and take the setup to some scales to get a better read on the weights in the configuration I want.
Amateur Photographer