Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-20-2015, 05:52 AM   #1

Slightly burnt looking power cord

Hi all,

Been awhile since I posted but now that camping season is upon us...

I have a 2011 28bhs Jayco trailer. I noticed that right at the prongs of my power cord it looks as if some over heating took place. Discolored but not melted. Probably from beach camping last year at the beach and running ac and microwave at the same time caused too much draw I'm guessing. Is this cord now a hazard and need replacement immediately?

If so, can this be done myself? Or an I better off bringing it in for service?

Thanks,
Chris
StarGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:04 AM   #2

You can get a new plug at Home Depot, Lowes or a RV dealer. It's an easy do it yourself job if your familiar with wiring. The problem was probably caused by the power post and and a well used (loose) receptacle which cause the heat.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:05 AM   #3

Sorry posted is in wrong forum. Probably should have been in trailer section.

Should I take care of this before my next outing?
StarGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:30 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarGazer View Post

Should I take care of this before my next outing?
You can purchase the plug and just replace it. They are available most anywhere that sells rv supplies.

https://www.google.com/search?q=30a+...client=firefox
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:14 AM   #5
Site Team

That happened to us on our last TT. I noticed it about 2 days into our stay when I wanted to do some work on the TT and I pulled the shore power cable from the pedestal. The plug prongs were black and the plastic around the pins was melted a little. When I went to put it back in, I noticed that the outlet was old and was warn out, as I was able to jiggle the plug once it was in. I pulled out my trusty 30 to 50 amp plug adapter and ever since then have not used a 30 amp outlet in the CG's, as the 50 amp service outlets do not get used as much and are USUALLY in great shape. I always jiggle the plug to make sure that the outlet is not worn out before turning on the breaker. No problems since then.

Just my thoughts,

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:23 AM   #6

Leaving something like this to fail when KARMA wants to usually happens at the most worst opportune time for you...

It could turn into this melt down at any time...

Using the small round adapters to connect the RV SHORE POWER to 120VAC Receptacles also is not a good idea for the same reason...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:54 AM   #7
Site Team

I would be a little concerned about the condition of the plastic insulation on that wire inside the cable in fear that it may have melted in spots. That plug is made of a lot thicker material than the thin coating around the wires in the cable, and look at the condition of the plug. Also if it could have melted a the wire insulation on another wire in the cable it could possibly cause a short (when moving the shore cable around).

Just my thoughts,
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:51 AM   #8

Looks like a serious problem waiting to happen. Replace the power cord. You will sleep much better.
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:59 AM   #9

I had the same problem at a campsite. It chucked the breaker and I should have looked into it more but I found the problem when we were leaving it was the outlet. Campsite worker came over and said their was nothing wrong with the outlet. Funny how the guy came back about 10 minutes later and changed the outlet that was ok.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:27 AM   #10

I agree that the heating damage is likely related to a poor receptacle connection. There are testing units for measuring the clamp/pull out strength of receptacles. That said, most campgrounds have zero preventative maintenance programs.

The heat should not have traveled too far up the cord so replacing the plug end is a good solution. As long as it is cut back until the copper conductors look bright and shiny with no melt insulation evidence the new plug end will work. Just cleaning the damaged brass prongs with slight plug melt evidence is good for a temporary fix, but then don't stick it back into the questionable receptacle that may have caused the damage.

The green corrosion shown in the one picture is often indicative of water intrusion/damage.

I really like the idea of using the 50 amp adapter. Very logical to do so. The 30 amp breaker in the trailer panel will properly protect against cord overload.

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote