Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2019, 11:55 AM   #1

Snapping from blue ox

Towing a 32bhds, approx 1000lb tongue wieght. Took trailer back to dealer for some warranty work. (Which is a whole other story) anyway while coming out of turns have been hearing a snapping or pop noise while getting to almost straight.
Any ideas?

Also I from what I have read previously is that an underslung hutch head was needed, but when I questioned the dealer they said it wasn’t necessary. Right/wrong?
Matt14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 12:43 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

What is the weight rating of your Blue Ox WDH? I would tend to think the 32BHDS (9,995lb GVWR) would produce a loaded tongue weight in the 1,200lb to 1,400lb range depending on your loading habits.

The popping sound could be an adjustment issue, lubrication, and/or possibly the incorrect Blue Ox 'hitch head' for your application....., based on Blue Ox's hitch head recommendations.

On the subject of "underslung"....., here's a recent JOF thread on the subject of Blue Ox WDH associated to top/bottom mount TT couplers that may be helpful:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ets-64600.html

Just food for thought.....

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 03:42 PM   #3

Thanks,
The tongue weight empty is 850 ish. Add 2 30lb propane and a battery. It is very lightly loaded as we have only used for a couple nights. In a quick estimate should be about 1000lbs. Keeping in mind when we load up for trips that will increase. I bought the 1500lb bars with the ball being rated for 1400lbs. Also it is not an underslung head as per what the rv dealer suggested
Matt14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 05:08 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Matt14,

Thanks for the follow-up....

Good move on the 1,500lb bars, will cover the average loaded tongue weight range mentioned by other 32BHDS owners...., and if the opportunity should arise a CAT scale visit under loaded conditions is the best way to dial-in a WDH.

CAT how-to: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...v-tt-3871.html

I read somewhere that with the Blue Ox SwayPro that sometimes if the chain tension (to tight) isn't matched to the tongue weight it may produce a popping sound. I would check that all bolts are tightened properly.

Taking your TV/TT combo to a large parking lot and put your TV into a modest turn, then get out and inspect for any WDH component binding condition.

But it should be noted that most WDH's will make odd noises if one's TV makes an aggressive turn....., hear it often in a campground.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:44 PM   #5

Have you contacted Blue Ox? I've found them to be both helpful and responsive to customer inquiries and/or issues. Also if you are ever in eastern Nebraska, check out their campground in Pender. No cost with hookups for Blue Ox owners. Very nice, paved sites and you can arrange for a factory tour.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox