Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2021, 01:31 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Havasu View Post
We don't need idiot snowbirds in Arizona like this family. Lucky they survived let alone hurt some innocent people!
Who said they were snowbirds?
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 02:10 PM   #22

Wow! Thank for the post. I hope this wakes a few readers up. We tow at 65 mph all the time, and I cringe whenever another camper blows past us.
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 02:27 PM   #23
RBW

Flyrotor, Great rescue and info on towing. Thanks for your service and all the time you all put into training for events like this.
RBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 02:36 PM   #24

What can you pull it with?

Wow! That’s a frighting scene. And that is not one of the heaviest trailers on the market. What does the RV industry assume that you will be using as a tow vehicle? I too have a one ton Ford SRW and pull a 30 Eagle. I use the recommended equalizer hitch with anti-sway. I haven’t added anything to the back bumper and I don’t usually have a big load in the bed of the truck. But we are on the road for three or four months at a time. We have had some issues at times with sway. I drive like an old man, usually around 55 to 60 mph and never in high winds.
If the RV industry is going to keep making these big trailers, which we all want, and the dealership salespeople keeping telling folks they can tow with a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck, there are many more wrecks on the way.
These folks are very fortunate!
Builder Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 02:38 PM   #25

Well stated. I agree about feeling like “they’re on their way to an accident.”
An old saying... “Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should”
Builder Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 02:59 PM   #26

Imagine how many first time, new RV owners are driving around out there with little to no clue about the all so important numbers of weight limits and distribution!?

I’m in a S FL campground right now. The amount of new rigs coming and going is staggering! I just observed someone setup on a brand spanking new B+ With 3 adults. Their sewere hose support was backwards! I think this would be Common Sence to most folk, drain off high to low, you think they have a clue on axel weight/CCC!? Not knocking them, I help everyone, giving advice when I asked and I’ll always point out a dangerous situation regardless weather someone is receptive or bot. Everyone is new at some point. I knock the industry! I think at the minimum, if your a new owner, part of your orientation should be to watch a tape that explains all the numbers and Safty concerns. They should sign that they watched it, and should be handed a copy for future reference. But that would bring up a whole host of question on why they were sold a rig if it can’t accomttheir needs!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 03:24 PM   #27
TWX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Builder Bob View Post
Wow! That’s a frighting scene. And that is not one of the heaviest trailers on the market. What does the RV industry assume that you will be using as a tow vehicle? I too have a one ton Ford SRW and pull a 30 Eagle. I use the recommended equalizer hitch with anti-sway. I haven’t added anything to the back bumper and I don’t usually have a big load in the bed of the truck. But we are on the road for three or four months at a time. We have had some issues at times with sway. I drive like an old man, usually around 55 to 60 mph and never in high winds.
If the RV industry is going to keep making these big trailers, which we all want, and the dealership salespeople keeping telling folks they can tow with a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck, there are many more wrecks on the way.
These folks are very fortunate!

I wonder if, due to the weight on the rear bumper of the travel trailer, they either had too little tongue weight, or they had cranked up the WDH torsion too far and had too little downforce directly on the rear axle of the tow vehicle.

I also wonder if too much weight too far back from the trailer axles simply acted like the weight at the far end of a telescoping defense baton.
Old 03-21-2021, 04:36 AM   #28

You mention load and speed as being factors—did you calculate his load? Was he out of limits? Or is that an assumption b/c of a genny on the back?

Also, how fast was he going? Was it windy/gusty that day?

Just curious.
CleaverF22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:00 AM   #29

Why I have 3/4 ton truck even though my 5th wheel is supposedly 1/2 ton towable.
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 12:21 PM   #30

Flyrotor,

Thank you and all the crews who keep us safe. We'll be in Idaho this summer towing a rig and we'll keep our speed down and properly loaded!
"Use it or loose it."
SkipperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 01:09 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Scary..., only one remaining safety chain

X2

Bob
WOW indeed!!! What brand and type of chain was that, I want one!!!

BTW, the story was almost ruined by the pictures being sideways???
Put a crimp in my neck trying to see it. How come a moderator didn't turn them as the poster obviously don't know how.
Old 03-21-2021, 04:51 PM   #32

One of the reasons I added my generator mount to the hitch area of my trailer, instead of the back. I also added another battery box, and a tray for the two 5-gallon fuel cans for the genny. That added several hundred pounds to my overall tongue weight, but below the max weight.
ahaywood5785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:43 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post
Yes, will make a believer real quick!
Better had the god given them the brains to have not had the accident.
irishtom29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:19 AM   #34

Surprised the original poster or the moderator didn't correct this yet... I was getting a crimp in my neck trying to look at the pics! It almost ruined the very interesting story!
Attached Thumbnails
Cliff_Accident.jpg   Cliff_Accident2.jpg   Cliff_Accident3.jpg   Cliff_Accident4.jpg   Cliff_Accident5.jpg  

Old 03-22-2021, 01:50 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack69 View Post
Surprised the original poster or the moderator didn't correct this yet... I was getting a crimp in my neck trying to look at the pics! It almost ruined the very interesting story!
Thanks for correcting the pictures, and no I don’t know how to fix that or I would have originally.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:14 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleaverF22 View Post
You mention load and speed as being factors—did you calculate his load? Was he out of limits? Or is that an assumption b/c of a genny on the back?

Also, how fast was he going? Was it windy/gusty that day?

Just curious.
One of the witnesses was in a semi truck, stated that he himself was traveling 68 mph and the Ford/trailer passed him going “significantly faster” and had some sway at that time, other witnesses also spoke about witnessing sway several miles back before the accident, the ISP officer I spoke to initially estimated his speed around 80, the winds were very mild that day. I have not seen the official investigation report.

Other factors in that location is a curve leading into the area of the bridge, which has varying degrees of radius, relatively flat canter, and a divvy in the road that causes cars and trucks to bounce a bit.

If you’ve ever heard of the Swiss cheese model, then you will understand that each fraction of variance of acceptable behavior adds an increased risk factor. In most accident investigations there are usually several factors leading to the accident, most of which are latent factors, which stacked together create a commutative effect. The Swiss cheese model of accident causation is a model used in risk analysis and risk management.

I’m not saying that everything this guy did was an accident waiting to happen, and each of us have been known to push the limits at one time or another, but on this day, all the holes in the cheese lined up together.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 07:50 AM   #37

A little OT but reminds me of a rolling future accident I saw on Sunday. Guy in a big HD pickup truck hauling 2 nice looking sleds on a double wide trailer. Going over 70 in a 60 zone. Trailer had about 10" go-cart tires on a narrow under-mount axle. The thing was bouncing and swaying all over the place. Just wondered how long until one of those little excuses for tires underneath popped like an overfilled birthday balloon.

I just backed away slowly and gave him some distance. Can't fix stupid...
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:42 AM   #38

We need some type of training and testing for RV owners. Perhaps It could be done at the dealer level, but they are pretty bad at their job as it is, and then what about all the private sales. I’d hate to see the government get involved, they seem to make a mess of everything! But “the stark reality” is we always had a bunch of RV’ers driving around overloaded, incorrectly loaded and inexperienced, but now we have way more! This is a frightening thought!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:25 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
A little OT but reminds me of a rolling future accident I saw on Sunday. Guy in a big HD pickup truck hauling 2 nice looking sleds on a double wide trailer. Going over 70 in a 60 zone. Trailer had about 10" go-cart tires on a narrow under-mount axle. The thing was bouncing and swaying all over the place. Just wondered how long until one of those little excuses for tires underneath popped like an overfilled birthday balloon.

I just backed away slowly and gave him some distance. Can't fix stupid...
That's a pretty common sight in Maine, along with seeing the aftermath of that same open trailer flinging off an improperly secured snowmobile(s).
Nothing like the sight of a $16K plus snowmobile cartwheeling off a trailer....
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:48 AM   #40

A camper pulled in behind us at the Legends campground at AMS and although not the same outcome this story came to mind.
They drove up from Florida with one of those racks loaded with a generator an something else. When I looked over as I always do I saw the rack approximately 6-8" off the ground. The weight rolled the bumper downward which angled the carrier downward. They had it attached with one of those bolt on receivers.
He tried with a floor jack to straighten it but it didn't budge. Scary part was when they packed to leave he put a satellite dish an 4 fuel cans back on it. All held with a couple bungie cords.
My friend was about to head back to Florida himself and I told him if he sees that trailer he needs to get past it quick as he can.