Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-26-2019, 05:21 PM   #1

Starting to Research (total newbie)

Hi,

I think I'm about a year/18months out from purchasing a travel trailer. I'm also at the tail end of a lease and will be looking to buy a new vehicle so when that happens, I'd like to get something I can use for towing.

Based on length, weight and floorplan (and budget), I think I would like a Jayflight 154BH or 174BH the most. I'll be traveling as the only adult with a (by then) 7 year old, so I'd like something on the shorter/lighter side with somewhat decent interior living space in case we do longer trips.

Could I tow either of those with a Ford Escape Titanium with a tow package? Ford specs show that trim has a towing capacity of 3500lbs. I currently have an Escape SEL which fits everywhere I've needed to park it and I'm happy with it, so an upgrade to the Titanium trim would be easily doable.

I live in a city, so I don't have parking for a truck or full size SUV (or the trailer for that matter, so I would have to store it). If the Escape isn't a good idea, what would work for either of those Jayflights?

I'm absolutely at the beginning of my research so I'm open to all kinds of suggestions and helpful input.

Thank you!
MicheleInSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 06:40 PM   #2

If I am seeing this right the Ford escape titanium has a 2,000 lb towing capacity while the 154bh is 2400 pounds dry and 3200 loaded.

Have you considered something with a lot more tow capacity like the Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have one with the 3.6 standard engine and tow a 195RB. That comes in loaded around 3500 pounds while the jeep can go to 6500 pounds.

I would never tow at or over capacity as it gives you no safety factor as your car ages and factory capacity is almost certainly diminished. The Ford would be over-stressed and unsafe on day one.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 07:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
If I am seeing this right the Ford escape titanium has a 2,000 lb towing capacity while the 154bh is 2400 pounds dry and 3200 loaded.

Have you considered something with a lot more tow capacity like the Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have one with the 3.6 standard engine and tow a 195RB. That comes in loaded around 3500 pounds while the jeep can go to 6500 pounds.

I would never tow at or over capacity as it gives you no safety factor as your car ages and factory capacity is almost certainly diminished. The Ford would be over-stressed and unsafe on day one.
Thanks for your response.

What I've seen is that with the 2.0L engine and tow package, the Escape can tow 3500. From Ford.com for ref: "Escape Titanium has a maximum towing capacity of 3,500 lbs. when equipped with the 2.0L EcoBoostŪ Class II Trailer Tow Package. Trailer sway control technology and an auxiliary transmission oil cooler are included in the package when equipped with the 2.0L EcoBoost engine."

I have considered other SUVs, but my hangup is parking on daily basis. My current Escape just fits in the majority of street spots in my neighborhood. Anything longer (which almost everything) will significantly limit my parking options. And I certainly don't want to set myself up for a dangerous situation, so I 100% agree about not going at or over capacity.

Thanks again.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:35 AM   #4

Per the specs for the Escape with the towing package you have to consider a couple of items.

Max hitch weight is 350 pounds. The 154BH factory hitch weight is 280. This may not include propane or a battery but definetely does not include the weight of a weight distribution hitch which you must have.

A second factor that is often ignored is the maximum air drag a vehicle is rated for. The Escape is rated for 30 square feet maximum with the hitch package.

I really would not recommend towing anything buy a lightweight popup based on these specs with the Escape.

Here is a link to the Escape towing specs. https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content...cape_Oct25.pdf

The Jeep is 15 inches longer than the Escape which might make parking more difficult but nothing like a pickup truck. Sorry for the bad news.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:13 AM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Why not go for a short motorhome, instead of having to buy a trailer AND a new tow vehicle? If it's just the two of you, having everything self-contained in ONE vehicle is definitely more advantageous.

Have you ever towed and parked a trailer?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 12:19 PM   #6

Roger - thank you for the info/help. I appreciate it.

RetiredOne- A small motorhome is also a possibility. Again, I'm right in the beginning stages of researching and figuring out what I want to do and what I can realistically do. I like the idea of having something separate to explore with and a home base to come back to if we do a longer trip (6mo to a year or more) and we stay in one spot for a week+ at a time. I have not towed and parked a trailer in more than 20 years, but I have a friend nearby who does regularly and who is also a bus driver who I would for sure hit up for tips/lessons/practice before I try to get out there on my own.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:57 PM   #7

Here is some excellent information to help you understand things you NEED to understand before buying anything!

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-...ue-weight.aspx

Keep in mind that rarely are manufacturers specs regarding UVW accurate. Meaning until you see the campers weight after putting in on a scale you should assume the weight printed on the camper is wrong! Also don’t just take your salesman’s word about the camper weight or the towing capacity of a vehicle you’re looking at!!!! When it comes to towing overkill is always better! Keep in mind how people drive on your way work, cutting you off, stopping in front of you etc now imagine that happening while towing a camper at your maximum towing capacity of your vehicle! Getting something moving is never the problem, controlling it in an emergency, like a tire blowing out in traffic or the vehicle in front of you slamming on the brakes because they missed their exit should always be in the back of your mind.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
Here is some excellent information to help you understand things you NEED to understand before buying anything!

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-...ue-weight.aspx
Keep in mind how people drive on your way work, cutting you off, stopping in front of you etc now imagine that happening while towing a camper at your maximum towing capacity of your vehicle! Getting something moving is never the problem, controlling it in an emergency, like a tire blowing out in traffic or the vehicle in front of you slamming on the brakes because they missed their exit should always be in the back of your mind.
Great insight, Colorado. And thanks for the link.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:43 PM   #9

Hi MicheleInSF

Having driven and parked a 20ft long pickup in SF I totally understand your issue, I do agree that you will be pushing the escape too hard, I would actually consider other suv's as the additional length may not be as much of a factor as you may think. The best bet there is to actually go and test drive some. The SF auto show is at the end of November at the Moscone Center there are normally cars you can drive at these shows. That will allow you a chance to experience other SUV, I have found having just gotten a new truck that is longer than my old 20ft one I have found driving it to be smaller, and the 360 camera systems helps parking alot.

My other advise is storage, I know that having looked for storage in the south bay most lots are full, and the cost of storage on the peninsula is crazy high. You don't have to do it now but I would recommend securing a parking spot before you actually buy so you have some where to park it when you get it. I assume you are either going to shop at Pan Pacific in Morgan Hill or Manteca Trailer in Manteca, I got mine at Pan Pacific and although I hate their policy of having a sales person with you to look they were actually quite good to work with. As some one who is local to you feel free to PM me if you have local specific questions that I maybe able to help with.
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:36 PM   #10

Thank you. That is helpful insight. I have been paying closer attention to the bigger vehicles that fit in the parking spots near my house and now also looking at the jeep grand cherokees as suggested by Roger up above. I am really hooked on the 174BH model, so I will continue exploring options that will work for that and will probably post more as I narrow down some options.

Thanks also for the points about the dealerships. I had only looked on RV Trader so far, and have tentative plans to hit the show in Jan at the fairgrounds in Pleasanton for more Q&A/Research.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:34 PM   #11

I vote for a full size suv. I don't know if the escape is a unibody or not but you would be way better off in all towing aspects moving up to a full size suv. Also it won't be quite as long as a truck. I will say that if you have any inclination of upgrading to a larger trailer in the future then I would really consider a 150 1500 class truck to give you even more room. If not then expedition/suburban (tahoe if you want even shorter) and the amada? would be my choice. Good luck!
rte1985 is offline   Reply With Quote