Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2021, 03:18 PM   #1

Sticking brake

On a trip this weekend. Only about 35 miles away. I have what I believe to be a sticking brake . Only 1 of 4. Got to the campground and under slow speed it grabs like crazy. Locks up and jerks the truck. Thought it was more me and not being used to electric brakes, first ever. However when chocking the wheels 1 was very hot. Radiating heat off of it. What should I be looking for when I take it apart or should I be looking at something else all together. I've never dealt with trailer brakes before and not sure where to start. Ty
Lazydad78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:37 AM   #2

How old is the camper? Ours is 4 yrs old. I had a hub that was getting a lot hotter than the other 3 but I wasn't getting the jerking you do. I repacked all the bearings an that same hub still got warmer than the others. The brake pads an the electric pad didn't look too worn but I replaced the whole brake assembly on both sides of the axle anyway. Now all 4 hubs are within 3-4 degrees of each other. It cured my problem.
Strange thing is now all 4 hubs get hotter than they used to after all that brake replacement. Went from an average 98 to 108-110 degrees. Not sure why the increase but at least they all increased together
Old 07-26-2021, 05:11 AM   #3

Tight brakes

Possibly the tight wheel has had brake parts come loose, I have had bonded brake linings fall right off of the steel shoe.
May be an adjustment issue.
https://www.etrailer.com/question-295738.html
IF replacing it's usually as cheap or cheaper to buy the whole assembly, backing plate and all.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:39 PM   #4

The rig is brand new 21 model. Less than 1k road miles on it currently. I'm going to jack it up and give it a spin tomorrow see if I can feel it rubbing and go from there. We have an appt with the dealer at the end of August but have a few weekend trips before then. I've got 3 days till it has to roll again. Hope I find something simple.
Lazydad78 is offline   Reply With Quote