Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2016, 09:19 PM   #21

Sam,

Welcome and congrats on the new rig!!!

Visit some F150 forums to try to find out the RPO codes for all the different options in regards to towing: tow package, axle ratio, HD cooling, HD payload, etc... As mentioned, you will want at least the 3.73's living where you do.

Not sure what the exact specs are for your 24, but the limiting factor for all 150/1500 trucks/suv's is the payload. Once you have verified the options on a possible truck, look in the drivers door jamb for the yellow sticker, stating "All occupants and cargo not to exceed XXXXlbs".... Per the manufacture this is the amount that all the passengers in the truck, any accessories added to the truck (truck cap/topper, tonneau cover, bed liner, step bars, etc...), any cargo in the truck/truck bed (coolers, firewood, bikes, etc), the wdh, AND the tt tw (travel trailer tongue weight) all count toward the trucks payload. Chances are you will be under the payload rating depending what the family weight is, and what you will load in the truck bed, just if at all possible try to get a truck with as high a payload rating as possible. If you have younger kids, they will only continue to grow, and get heavier, so the more payload the better!

Have you already picked up the 24 yet? Or not until you buy a truck? Regardless, if the dealer ends up installing the wdh while the tt is empty, chances are you will need to readjust the wdh once you load the trailer up for a trip. If you haven't decided on a wdh yet, look into one with integrated sway control. The Reese Dual Cam, Reese SC, and the Equal-I-Zer 4 way system are all very good for the money. If needed, follow my signature links for a ton of wdh info.

Good luck shopping and keep us posted!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:58 PM   #22

As many others have said, before you buy check the payload of the vehicle and its towing capacity. A turbocharged engine should perform better at higher altitudes and, in the case of the EcoBoost, will have a nice and flat torque curve compared to naturally aspirated V6s and V8s.

There are two substantial problems to consider before buying an EcoBoost:

1) The current generation has significant issues with carbon build-up on the intake valves. This seems to be an issue for all direct injection engines, including GM's Ecotec engines. I installed a air-oil separator ("catch-can") on my PCV system to mitigate this issue, but apparently it is quite bad in EcoBoosts, especially if you rarely run the engine hard. Ford's second generation EcoBoost design solves this problem by adding port injectors so that the intake valves are exposed to fuel which cleans them like in non-DI engines.

2) Turbochargers allow you to get more power out of a smaller displacement engine, but this is at a cost of decreased efficiency and increased complexity. If you are driving the truck around empty and not towing, theoretically you should get better efficiency than my V8, but as soon as you add some payload or tow the turbocharger will kick-in to give you the torque you need but consumes energy to do so.

I prefer a naturally aspirated V8 to a turbocharged gas engine, even though the turbocharged engine has a performance advantage. Turbochargers are very susceptible to overheating and introduce complication into engine repairs.

There are pros and cons to each type of engine, but they should both get the job done! Happy camping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saml View Post
I am new to site and was hoping for some insight on peoples towing experience with F150's. I just purchased a White Hawk 24MBH (5455lb dry)... however haven't purchased a truck yet (I know, a little backwards). We're looking at the Ford F150 used (2010 or newer) but I've read mixed reviews on whether it can tow. We live in Colorado so more mountain driving then anything. Anybody have a F150 towing around 6500lb's? Which one and how does it do?

thanks so much for the insight!
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:02 PM   #23

2014 F150, SuperCrew, Eco-Boost, Max Tow, 4x4 here. I tow a 28BHBE all around the mountains in Utah and have never wanted for power. The 15's and newer have a 3.53 rear on the Max Tow package, but are lower weight with the new Aluminum Body. I have family with a similar setup, but the 5.0, it also tows great and for the price difference an intake and an exhaust and your getting close to stock Eco-Boost numbers. With your trailer, either option would work, the Max Tow/Eco-boost would make it easier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2016, 05:10 AM   #24

Sam,

We've got a 2010 F-150 Super Crew XLT with the 5.4L V8 Triton engine, 5.5 foot box, 4x4, and Max tow equipped, which gives us the additional transmission and radiator coolers, heavier rear springs, tow mirrors, 3.73 gear ratio, integrated trailer brake controller, and a max towing capacity of 11,200. Here's a link to an earlier post I made explaining what the truck can actually do and how I figured out if it could meet my towing needs. Bottom line is what many have said here...with modern 1/2 ton trucks, payload rather than towing capacity is often the limiting factor, and you really have to consider it when pairing a tow vehicle to your trailer.

As for the running debate on EcoBoost vs. normally aspirated V8 engines, I can't debate because I've only owned my V8! I had the choice of selecting either engine for my TV and went with the V8 because it was the 3-valve-per-cylinder, fully perfected Triton, a venerable and proven power plant in its last year of F150 use. I'm sure the EcoBoost is terrific now that it's been refined for several years, but my research showed that the early model years were plagued with timing chain issues, and since I didn't want to buy a brand new truck just for trailer towing, I went with the Triton engine. It's a pretty bulletproof power plant. It also helped that our used truck was immaculately kept, with full maintenance records and only 36,000 miles on the odometer, a rare find.

I've towed my White Hawk 28DSBH a few times now with the truck. The trailer is 6,400lbs dry and 7,100lbs fully loaded for camping. And the truck just doesn't care. It may not be an "EcoBeast" but it's a beast in its own right. It tows smoothly uphill and down, and Ford's six speed transmission in tow/haul mode does a great job of avoiding gear hunting and giving me transmission braking when I tap the brakes going downhill. I have plenty of acceleration and merging power and get about 10.5 mpg in highway towing at my standard 55-60mph. All engine fluid temperatures stay comfortably mid-range, even on warm days - the truck isn't struggling in any way. I've added the Timbrens suspension enhancement to the back end and also plan to upgrade my "E" rated tires to LT tires for additional ride improvement, but even without them the towing experience is already excellent.

I've weighed my setup and I'm not over on tongue weight or truck payload capacity, but I am snug on both (within 200lbs on max tongue weight, 300lbs on max payload weight). The White Hawk, while a large trailer, has the wide stance axles, so its tongue weight is a little lower than other 33 foot trailers. A different trailer might have put me over max payload and tongue weights. Anyway, sorry for the length of this post, I hope this info helps a little.
Our White Hawk photo album
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:49 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmward View Post
EcoBoost with MaxTow option... 3.73 gears, integrated brake controller, 1800 lbs payload, 11000 lbs towing

Tow around 6500-7000 lbs with it.

Love it.
Same set up here truck wise, no concerns, tows great
Old 06-23-2016, 10:12 AM   #26
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
Sam,
We've got a 2010 F-150 Super Crew XLT with the 5.4L V8 Triton engine, 5.5 foot box, 4x4, and Max tow equipped, which gives us the additional transmission and radiator coolers, heavier rear springs, tow mirrors, 3.73 gear ratio, integrated trailer brake controller, and a max towing capacity of 11,200. Here's a link to an earlier post I made explaining what the truck can actually do and how I figured out if it could meet my towing needs. Bottom line is what many have said here...with modern 1/2 ton trucks, payload rather than towing capacity is often the limiting factor, and you really have to consider it when pairing a tow vehicle to your trailer.
Buying used for towing, I would also recommend looking for at least a Max Tow Package (different from a tow package) because of the towing specific reinforcements mentioned which are cost prohibitive to add aftermarket. The 2009+ F150's with the 6 speed transmissions and tow-haul mode were a big step forward for towing from the 2008 and earlier. The Max Tow package will also give you a couple of hundred pounds of extra payload and the 3.73 gears with the V8's (and maybe with Eco's on certain packages??). The 6.5 box on the 2010 gave me an extra 10 gallons (40 litres) of gas over the 5.5 (26 gallon) box which made me opt for parking the extra foot of truck every time I park. One other consideration, is the payloads vary greatly on the F150 and generally the higher the luxury package, the lower the payload. If you can find a good Heavy Duty Payload equipped truck (7 lug wheel on 2009-2014) grab it and load whatever you want in the truck with around 2000lbs of payload.

I don't want to flame the V8 vs Eco debate, but some first hand descriptions might help the OP with his decision process. When I bought new in 2010, the 5.4 Max Tow it was the best machine available at the time and I am still impressed with the torque and towing stability of my 2010. However, if I were towing a lot at elevation and in the mountains, I would definitely consider the Eco, avoiding the first years of production based on what I have read. I camp a lot with a buddy with a 2014 Eco and when we are climbing hills the Eco is amazing. There are advantages and disadvantages to both the V8's and the Eco's and depending on your application, one platform may be a better choice over the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmward View Post
Well, we made it all the way to 12 posts before digressing down this rabbit hole. I guess that's an improvement! [emoji3]

I can’t believe we have made it through 3 pages of posts on this forum discussing towing a travel trailer with an F150 without the 2500 Gas Ram Fanboys trying to scare the OP with tales of their neighbors endangering their families and everybody else on the road, lawsuits with cancelled insurance and F150’s falling apart immediately because of hitching up a travel trailer. Maybe things are improving.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:08 PM   #27

At the time we retired our 1997 Light Duty F250, the 2015's weren't available so we had to choose from a thin inventory of 2014s. We bought a XLT F150 5.0 with 3.31 rear, Trailer Tow Pckg, Tow Haul Trans. It can tow 8000 lbs. Our TT loaded is 6000 lbs. We tow with ease and love the ride.
2012 Horton Car Hauler
1997 F250 Light Duty - gone but loved
Catmike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:36 PM   #28

Just a quick comment. We towed our White Hawk with our Eco-Boost. It towed great. We loved the Eco-boost. Yes, the turbo's spooled up. When we went to a fifth wheel, we traded the F-150 for a Super Duty diesel. Guess what? That turbo spools up too. Maybe that is what it is supposed to do? We pulled into a spot in a PA campground when we had the F-150, and I counted 8 campers being pulled with Eco-boosts, four of them fifth-wheels! Enjoy!
Old 06-24-2016, 10:44 AM   #29

Thanks for the replies! Great information. We're running into a bit of a snag. Having trouble finding (used) f150's with a 3.73 gear ratio for sale. We found a Toyota tundra 5.7L V8. However it only has a payload of 1295. Jayco's website said to take 12% of loaded camper and subtract that from the available payload. If trailer was loaded to 6000lb that would take 720lb away. With only 575 left... subtract 475-500 for 2 adults and 2 kids we're left with less that 100lbs for cargo. Why such a low payload on these trucks? Is anyone pulling with a tundra??
saml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:55 AM   #30

I have 2 family members with Tundras and both pull trailers. Tundras are great pullers and almost Lexus-like in their driving manners and creature comforts, but they have very low payloads. Their suspensions also tend to squat heavily even with moderate weight in the back.

A lot of people only see the HP/Torque and tow ratings, but don't look at the yellow sticker on the door.

I have a friend on this forum that tows a Jay Flight 23MBH and he ended up with a RAM 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi. Now he will never have to worry about any of the specs of his setup because there's so much buffer.

The OP is going about this the right way. Hope you find the rig that works for you.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:15 PM   #31

Everyone I know with a Tundra with the 5.7L V8 is very happy with it, plenty of power and reliable, but that payload is waaay too low. I know you are looking for a 3.73 rear end, but I tow with a 3.42 rear end without many issues. I have the GM 6-speed with the 5.3L V8, which does not have anywhere near the down-low torque of the EcoBoost.

In order to get the max tow package I would have had to upgrade my trim level and wait 2-3 months. I went with the 3.42 because they payload was "enough" (1750# vs 1900 for max tow) andso was the tow rating (9400#) and I saved around $5k.

The 3.42 rear end with the 6-speed has an equivalent 1st gear ratio as the old 4-speed with a 4.10 rear end!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saml View Post
Thanks for the replies! Great information. We're running into a bit of a snag. Having trouble finding (used) f150's with a 3.73 gear ratio for sale. We found a Toyota tundra 5.7L V8. However it only has a payload of 1295. Jayco's website said to take 12% of loaded camper and subtract that from the available payload. If trailer was loaded to 6000lb that would take 720lb away. With only 575 left... subtract 475-500 for 2 adults and 2 kids we're left with less that 100lbs for cargo. Why such a low payload on these trucks? Is anyone pulling with a tundra??
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:23 PM   #32

Try looking for a Max Tow equipped F-150 rather then a specific gear ratio. If your on the lot, the larger factory tow mirrors are a dead giveaway. Besides the payload, the Max Tow has other great 'built in' features like upgraded suspension parts, Class IV receiver, upgraded rear bumper, upgraded cooling and often the larger fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2016, 04:06 PM   #33

Looks like there a few paths to go here.

People love the V8, but as the air thins in these Colorado mountains and the turbo just loves injecting air into that enginer. +1 for the Eco-boost.

Another slight issue. The Denver marketplace for used trucks is nuts. Anything that is reasonably priced has lots of miles on it, and is probably beat up. Consider new, Near the end of the month, most dealers will fight hard to sell you a truck at invoice minus incentives. An XLT model and lower might not hurt the wallet too bad. No truck in this market, is worth more than invoice cost.
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:20 PM   #34

If you go with a Super Duty, you won't have any worries. It's always better to have too much truck, than just enough.
Super Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:13 PM   #35

Gotta say even with the lower payload of my Tundra (1400#), for a few $$ it pulls my 28BHBE great! All I have added was load range E tires (in a larger size too) and a set of air bags in the rear. I run across the scale at 15,480# and the truck was 7,000# by itself. Pulls the load with relative ease. The camper weighs 8,480#. I traded in a Ram 2500 4x4 quad cab for the Tundra and have not regretted it one bit. Spent the money on the ProPride hitch and have never looked back.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote