Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2022, 06:19 AM   #1

Sumosprings question

Hello all I recently put sumosprings on my 2020 ram 1500 to help with the bouncing going down the road and to help with a little sag I put them on yesterday and what a pain so it came with 1 inch spacers I opted to leave off I only want them to engage when my trailer is on the TV I put them on and there is no gap now and the ride is terrible has anyone else dealt with this and if so any solutions thanks inadvanced
Rdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 07:12 AM   #2

I went a different route! I was thinking about going the same way as you but after researching and opinions I decided to go with Firestone air bags! My ride is very good, and it they took out the bounce I was getting from our terrible roadways. On some trips I'm loading up pretty heavy and this allows me the ability to air up and level more with the bags and my ride is not compromised!
My TV is a GMC Sierra 1500!
Hope this helps!
Ranger Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 08:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Rick View Post
I went a different route! I was thinking about going the same way as you but after researching and opinions I decided to go with Firestone air bags! My ride is very good, and it they took out the bounce I was getting from our terrible roadways. On some trips I'm loading up pretty heavy and this allows me the ability to air up and level more with the bags and my ride is not compromised!
My TV is a GMC Sierra 1500!
Hope this helps!
Thanks I was considering air bags but also did not want the maintance either or potential failures on the road but I have read that you can trim the sumo springs if need to get the gap your looking g for I'm going to try it if that doesn't work I will probably go air bags
Old 05-29-2022, 09:26 AM   #4

I can't answer your original question but I have always used Air Lift Air bags. I have an on board compressor so I can adjust on the fly. It's a bit tricky to get setup with a WDH but I love the fact I can air the bags up to raise the back of the truck high enough to disengage the spring bars.

I have the ultimates on my current truck which come with an internal jounce bumper so you can run the bags with just a few psi when the truck is empty.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdogg View Post
Hello all I recently put sumosprings on my 2020 ram 1500 to help with the bouncing going down the road and to help with a little sag I put them on yesterday and what a pain so it came with 1 inch spacers I opted to leave off I only want them to engage when my trailer is on the TV I put them on and there is no gap now and the ride is terrible has anyone else dealt with this and if so any solutions thanks inadvanced
Do you mean to say that without your trailer on the TV, the SumoSprings are still touching the truck bed?

If that's the case, your ride will indeed become stiffer because you've now got an additional set of springs transferring axle movement up into the truck frame.

It's all a balancing game between a soft, bouncy ride, and a stiff ride. I put SumoSprings on my Tacoma. They are always in contact, so the ride is now rougher when I don't have the trailer on. It's also a bit stiffer--but far less bouncy--when I have the trailer on.

If the SumoSprings come in different weight ratings for your Ram, you could go down to a lower weight rating and see if that's more satisfactory.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 12:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
Do you mean to say that without your trailer on the TV, the SumoSprings are still touching the truck bed?

If that's the case, your ride will indeed become stiffer because you've now got an additional set of springs transferring axle movement up into the truck frame.

It's all a balancing game between a soft, bouncy ride, and a stiff ride. I put SumoSprings on my Tacoma. They are always in contact, so the ride is now rougher when I don't have the trailer on. It's also a bit stiffer--but far less bouncy--when I have the trailer on.

If the SumoSprings come in different weight ratings for your Ram, you could go down to a lower weight rating and see if that's more satisfactory.
Yes that's what I mean but I did not want them to be engaged until the weight is on the TV that's why I left the 1 inch spacers off I did not want them to engage while no wait on the car so I still have the smoother ride without the trailer
Old 05-29-2022, 04:13 PM   #7

We put Timbrens on our RAM 1500. They work perfectly as intended. They do not engage without a load; they do not impact the unloaded ride. They have limited the sag, and they help stabilize the side to side roll. We used them before we installed the TufTruck XHD coils. They worked really well. Now with both of them, we are really pleased with the stability under load that they provide. I recommend both on a RAM 1500. I think the Timbrens alone will be more than adequate for your Feather 22rb.
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 04:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunafulltime View Post
We put Timbrens on our RAM 1500. They work perfectly as intended. They do not engage without a load; they do not impact the unloaded ride. They have limited the sag, and they help stabilize the side to side roll. We used them before we installed the TufTruck XHD coils. They worked really well. Now with both of them, we are really pleased with the stability under load that they provide. I recommend both on a RAM 1500. I think the Timbrens alone will be more than adequate for your Feather 22rb.
Thank you I was deciphering between the two went with the sumo springs now I'm realizing should of went timberens and I also do plan on putting more heavy duty coils In the future and I also saw the tomberens are alot easier to put on the sumos were a huge pain so little room to put the brakes on I cod only turn som of the screws about a 1/16th of turn but I do belive the sumo springs will still help alot while underload but now I just have a crappy ride with no load
Old 05-29-2022, 04:41 PM   #9

Another Timbren fan here. I needed to reduce the squat and they do a good job and like “gunnafull” they do not make contact until the 5th is hitched. Some folks report a rough ride when unloaded but I don’t have any issues.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 07:21 PM   #10

Another vote for the Timbrens. They have great customer support.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 04:28 AM   #11

I had timbrens on my 5500 and took them off. Rode way too rough.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 05:19 AM   #12

Ive used Timbrens, then Sumos, followed by Firestone Bags. The Timbrens were terrible. Way too rough when engaged. The Sumos felt great. The black Sumos have some give so ride was nice. The airbags are great too, but require a bit more tinkering to find the perfect pressure for a given setup. This is on a Chevy HD truck, so unloaded there was always space between the Sumos and axles and the suspension would never compress enough to make contact if empty. Id imagine if no space when empty, the ride would be awful unloaded. Ive seen threads where people install Sumos on a trailer and cut the sumos for the desired fit. Maybe you could cut a portion of Sumo out, making it shorter so you had a couple inch gap.
Old 06-11-2022, 02:11 PM   #13

Added Black Summosprings to our 2015 Silverado Crew 3500hd Long bed Duramax.
Have about 1 in gap static. Rides rough just as stock.
Did aid in cushioning the ride with the 2010 Eagle 321RLTS locked in.
Thinking of adding the Summosprings to the rig.
Ejohnson03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 04:48 PM   #14

I added the airlift air bags that fit inside the coils. They work great and even stabilize the truck without a trailer. Inexpensive and easy to install, put 10lb in when towing and leave 5lb when not. But made a HUGE difference on the RAM. I want new coils but we’re much more $$$. Which they would just put in beefy ones from the factory.
Old 06-12-2022, 09:39 AM   #15

Sumo Springs

First of all, if you want to reduce bounce the only thing that will control it is a heavier shock. Springs only carry load. IMO both Timbren and Sumo produce a very harsh ride. They are basically extended bump stops. When they are engaged every road input is transmitted through out the vehicle. If you want better load capability as well as a good ride, then air springs and new shocks are the way to go.
A former Monroe / Rancho salesman.
FashaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 12:10 PM   #16

I'll echo others.

Sumo springs, especially when installed to engage immediately on an unladen truck, are doing exactly what they should do. They have substantially increased the spring rate right from the get go. You're truck's gonna ride like a truck.

Remove the spacers that engage immediately. At least that first inch or so will be factory smooth. But when you do engage the Sumos, it's going to be a jolt.

The real answer for more spring, without living with more spring all the time, is air bags. When deflated, they are "not there." When inflated, they are fully adjustable.

I have a 6000 pound RV with NO WDH, and when inflated to 45 PSI, the airbags completely level the ride and prevent all wallow. I also have Bilstein shocks, and they handle jounce nicely. When empty, I reduce pressure in the airbags to 5 PSI (just enough to ensure they keep their shape), and I have a "factory" ride.

If you're always loaded, you need "helper springs" all the time. If not, you need air bags.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 05:27 PM   #17

Installed black sumo springs on my f150, they only engage when loaded with trailer. Reach out to sumo springs, sometimes they have a lower profile bracket. Some f150 4wd owners use the 2wd bracket as its 1 shorter and gives them the 1-1.25 gap.

Also its okay to cut sumo springs, I installed them on my trailer and they had too much pre load. Needed 1/2 and they had 1.5 preload, reached out to sumo springs and they instructed me to take off 1 or one rib off. Did 5 trips and over 1,000 miles on it like that and couldnt ask for better.
Attached Thumbnails
5C2CA0BB-944A-4695-AFBD-7A24A602DBAC.jpg  
NERVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 05:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NERVA View Post
Installed black sumo springs on my f150, they only engage when loaded with trailer. Reach out to sumo springs, sometimes they have a lower profile bracket. Some f150 4wd owners use the 2wd bracket as its 1 shorter and gives them the 1-1.25 gap.

Also its okay to cut sumo springs, I installed them on my trailer and they had too much pre load. Needed 1/2 and they had 1.5 preload, reached out to sumo springs and they instructed me to take off 1 or one rib off. Did 5 trips and over 1,000 miles on it like that and couldnt ask for better.
Great Info!!
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote