Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-17-2013, 06:59 AM   #1

Sway & WD Bar Brand Opinion

It has been a while since I was on here, I registered when I bought the trailer, winterized it, covered it and parked it and haven't been on in a while as winter is here, and well you know what winter can be like...........piling wood, snow-blowing, etc............all the stuff that makes towing that trailer somewhere in the summer seem like my light at the end of a spring tunnel! ha.

I was shopping online for WD bars and a Sway control kit. I happened to notice how many different brands there are. Reading through the threads on here I notice that Equal-i-zer and Reese Dual cam seem popular. I am towing a Starcraft 186BH with a 1/2 ton RAM 1500 with 3.92 axle rated to GVWR 10,050lbs. I have did basic math and I figure based on the chart I below that I need a 600lb tongue weight. So I found a set of WD bars and sway control kit made by Curt, reviews seem to be fine on other websites. However the price is a lot less than Reese and Equal-i-zer. Here is my thoughts, I never put a price on safety my life and my wife and daughters life is worth me paying what it takes to know that I am traveling as safe as we can, however I know from making purchases of "things" in general that you are paying for the brand and not necessarily the product itself. I am a tool & die maker by trade and I know and have seen first hand many automotive parts all made from the same material, on the same line and then sold for huge differences in cost with a different brand name but the products are all equal in quality.

At first when we bought this trailer, it is our first, I was considering upgrading if we enjoyed it but now I am not for a while anyway. The space in the driveway and the fact there is only 3 of us I am happy with the size. I do not anticipate upgrading the trailer so therefore having a need to upgrade the bars.

I am interested in any comments from people who use the CURT bars:

WD BARS: http://www.canadianhitches.ca/shop/c...n-hitch-17000/

SWAY CONTROL: http://www.canadianhitches.ca/shop/c...rol-kit-17200/

Some considerations:

1. I will not be upgrading anytime soon, so purchasing a Dual Cam would be more for the brand and hopefully quality more so than with the thought of only upgrading the bars.
2. There does not seem to be any limit stickers on the A-frame.
3. Should I use an 800lb rather than the 600lb?
4. I am sure I have seen sway control kits on both sides of the tongue, does it require 1 or 2? And if only one, which side should it go on?
Actually, I am interested in ANY opinions........the more the merrier!

Jim

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Spec Chart.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	6458Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck & Trailer (1).jpg
Views:	31
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	6459Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck & Trailer (3).jpg
Views:	32
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	6460Click image for larger version

Name:	CURT Sway control.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	6461Click image for larger version

Name:	CURT WDH.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	6462
Huntsvillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
Site Team

The dry hitch weight being 455 lbs I wonder if the loaded weight could surpass 600 lbs in which case the 800 bars would be justified, a tongue weight scale or trip to the CAT scale could settle that question but the hitch would need to be installed to get an accurate reading since it contributes to tongue weight.

One sway bar such as you posted in the link is generally considered acceptable in trailers less then 25'. Not sure if the side they are installed matters, have never used one of them but I understand they need to be unhooked before backing up.

There is a WD hitch poll here too. It seems only 3 members who voted for the Curt. That`s not a slam on the hitch, just a indication you may not get many responses from actual Curt owners.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...highlight=poll
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
Site Team

Here is Another option, the Reese Pro series with 750 lb bars and a sway bar included for 258.00 from etrailer. I have purchased numerous items from them before and been satisfied. Free shipping over 150. Tongue weight 550 to 750.

http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...s/PS49902.html

Old 02-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #4

Thanks Crabman, I'd have to pay for shipping and duty to Canada, but like I said safety has no price. It does look well built.

Definitely food for thought!
Old 02-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
Site Team

Oh yeah, those dreaded shipping and duty charges! As far as safety I would think both hitch brands would be fine,(I have a Curt receiver hitch on my 1500) its just the Reese has 750 lb bars should you need bigger bars but not quite the 800`s and the sway control included. In the picture they show the sway bar mounted on the passenger side, if that even matters.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #6

My wd limits were stamped on the frame near the front of the trailer(not a sticker) so you have to look closely to see it. I too understand that you have to disconnect on some hitches before backing up witch to me would be a deal breaker. I'm no expert but i would agree with crabman on the 800# hitch. When you say you want to upgrade your hitch i take it you already have one? Hopefull someone with this brand could can chime in here to give us there thoughts Huntsvillian.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #7

By no means am I an expert but I would also recommend going with the 800lb hitch, it's better to have them be a little higher rated, also don't forget to add the weight of cargo behind the axle of your TV.
With a potential 600lb tongue weight and say 100lbs in the back of your TV, the 750 or 800lb bars would be a good choice.
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #8

When I meant upgrade, I currently only have a solid hitch bar with ball so no WDH. What I also meant is that I do not plan on buying a new TT for a long long time so the Reese Dual Cam would not be critical in terms of having to upgrade in a few years and then only having to upgrade the bars in the future.

I was planning on researching this further today, but I went out to bring in some firewood and the ATV.............on my way to the dealer, I got a feeling it is going to be one of those days!!!!!

I'll be back on later.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsvillian View Post
snip........ However the price is a lot less than Reese and Equal-i-zer. Here is my thoughts, I never put a price on safety my life and my wife and daughters life is worth me paying what it takes to know that I am traveling as safe as we can, however I know from making purchases of "things" in general that you are paying for the brand and not necessarily the product itself. I am a tool & die maker by trade and I know and have seen first hand many automotive parts all made from the same material, on the same line and then sold for huge differences in cost with a different brand name but the products are all equal in quality...... snip
I would agree that the Curt WDH, Equal-i-zer WDH, and Reese Strait-Line (Dual Cam) WDH brands may be equal in quality, but they do differ in design/function. All three brand/models referenced will distribute weight, but the Equal-i-zer WDH and Reese Strait-Line WDH have integrated sway control where the Curt WDH requires an additional product for sway control.

The Curt WDH (with remote friction control sway arm) and Equal-i-lizer WDH sway controls are "reactive" in function, thus reacting to a sway event once it's actually started. The Reese Strait-Line (Dual Cam) sway control is "pro-active" in function by design. The Reese design of the spring bars maintains considerable force over the cams which reduces the probability of a sway event starting by constantly forcing the TT to tow in a straight line.

IMO a WDH with "integrated" sway control offers up-graded features above a standard WDH w/friction sway control arm, as mentioned in prior posts. Yes, IMO the Hensley Arrow WDH has up-graded design features above a WDH with "integrated" sway control.

From a safety and performance standpoint...., IMO any WDH with some means of sway control that is sized and adjusted properly will deliver acceptable results. As most of us know, no WDH and/or Sway Control device can compensate for poor maintenance and/or safety practices associated with any given TV and/or TT (over weight, low tire psi, speed, etc.).

The 2010 186BH has a GVWR of 3,500lbs, I also agree that 600lb rated WDH (if available) would be adequate even loaded at the GVWR.

Just my thoughts.

Bob

ON EDIT: If you should consider the Reese Strait-Line (Dual Cam), I believe that it requires a minimum 400lb loaded tongue weight.... please confirm.

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #10

Is there a downside to going to high on the tongue weight? Say for example you needed 600lbs and you went 800lbs.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Is there a downside to going to high on the tongue weight? Say for example you needed 600lbs and you went 800lbs.
RV and WDH manufactures recommend a 10% to 15% (of loaded TT weight) for a loaded tongue weight. If you are referring to exceeding the 15%, IMO it may enhance some TV's handling of the heavier and longer TT's (assuming all specified weight limits are not exceeded). My concern on the "lite" TT's would be the A-frame specifications if one were to consider exceeding the 15% range.

-OR-

If you are referring to using an 800lb rated WDH when a 600lb rated WDH would do the job, the only issue with using an over-rated WDH is that extra care should be taken insuring that the WDH is adjusted correctly.

Bob

ON EDIT: Added comment about over-rated WDH

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #12

Yes i would have to agree with the 600# then since the max weight of the trailer loaded (3500) at the recommended 13% tongue weight is only 455#
equalizer 1000# hitch
Old 02-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #13

To elaborate on having heavier than needed WD bars.....when you are driving into a laneway for instance, where there is an incline, this puts strain on the hitch area because the WDH wants to stay flat. There will be some flexing of the bars, some in your TV receiver and some in the a-frame of the TT tongue. With heavier bars, they will flex less, and may or may not result damage your TV receiver or TT tongue. I met a fellow who damaged the tongue of his TT this way. Be careful going over size.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #14

Good point dave472 that is why its important to not go over the ratings for max wd hitch. Again mine was stamped on the frame but jayco should be able to tell you if you asked.
equalizer 1000# hitch
Old 02-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Hopefully you don't mind me hijacking your thread a little bit, but I am a little confused. When researching WDH's it was often mentioned that you should not only take into consideration the tongue weight of the trailer, but also the weight of cargo behind the rear axle of the TV. I guess what confuses me is this doesn't seem to get mentioned much? Is that the wrong way to look at it?
ITBC
Old 02-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
Yes i would have to agree with the 600# then since the max weight of the trailer loaded (3500) at the recommended 13% tongue weight is only 455#

If you look at his weights, the empty weight is 3895lbs and the GVWR is 6,000 lbs. The 455 is the empty or dry hitch weight, before anything is added.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by amabee View Post
Hopefully you don't mind me hijacking your thread a little bit, but I am a little confused. When researching WDH's it was often mentioned that you should not only take into consideration the tongue weight of the trailer, but also the weight of cargo behind the rear axle of the TV. I guess what confuses me is this doesn't seem to get mentioned much? Is that the wrong way to look at it?

If you mean cargo in the rear of the truck, that would count as part of the payload of the vehicle, not the tongue weight and would have no bearing on the WD bar size. Items placed on the tongue of the trailer such as batteries, tongue jacks, propane tanks, WD hitch, etc contribute to tongue weight along with items placed in the trailer itself and should be considered when choosing spring bar size.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
If you mean cargo in the rear of the truck, that would count as part of the payload of the vehicle, not the tongue weight and would have no bearing on the WD bar size. Items placed on the tongue of the trailer such as batteries, tongue jacks, propane tanks, WD hitch, etc contribute to tongue weight along with items placed in the trailer itself and should be considered when choosing spring bar size.
Remember, just learning, if that's the case why does Equalizer for example mention this when sizing a WDH? http://www.equalizerhitch.com/About%...hitchsizes.php
ITBC
Old 02-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #19

Sorry if i mislead you but i was judging that you should go with 600# wd having a 3500# max trailer weight. I thought someone gave that as being its loaded trailer wieght in an earlier post.
equalizer 1000# hitch
Old 02-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by amabee View Post
Remember, just learning, if that's the case why does Equalizer for example mention this when sizing a WDH? http://www.equalizerhitch.com/About%...hitchsizes.php

Not sure, that`s the first time I`ve seen that. But since the placement and weight of cargo in the bed of your truck can vary each trip you make, it would seem problematic to size spring bars accordingly.