Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2021, 06:42 PM   #1

Sway Control WDH Needed?

My Tow Vehicle 2020 F150 came with factory tow package. The window sticker shows “with sway control”. RV dealer is recommending a Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH. Since my truck has sway control, do I need a WDH with sway control? Is it a good thing, bad thing, uncommon thing to have on both? Not sure if WDHs even come without sway control? Any help for this “newbie” is greatly appreciated.

Towing a Jayco SLX8 267BHS
jgaryclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:50 PM   #2

It would help greatly if we knew what you were towing. I am a fan of the Equalizer with sway control. I used it every time I towed with my F150 that had "factory sway control" and still use it with my 250.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:03 PM   #3

Jayco SLX8 267BHS
Old 03-27-2021, 07:37 PM   #4

Short answers yes you need it. The computer can’t do it as well as a mechanical system. It doesn’t have separate control of the brakes on the trailer. I also prefer the Equalizer brand to any of the chain system hitches.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:49 PM   #5

The truck system is pretty much a last resort. It won't activate until sway is already occurring. You want a WDH with sway control. The Equalizer is one of the best, but there are others.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 08:44 PM   #6

Yes, you should run a WDH and sway control.

I'm a big fan of the Blue Ox hitch. There are plenty of choices, but I don't think anyone could say it's the wrong choice.
morleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 11:52 PM   #7
Site Team

Definitely get a WDH with sway control built in. It works to eliminate sway before it becomes an issue. We have the same feature on our F150. I'm another fan of the Equalizer, but that's what the dealer gave us when we bought the trailer. I like it that I can back the trailer up without having to disconnect the bars. Just my .03 worth. (Inflation, you know.)

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 05:17 AM   #8

I asked myself the same question when I bought my trailer. Then I asked myself this question: "You've got a $40-60K+ truck pulling a $25-45K+ trailer. Do you really want a $20 hitch shaft and ball being the only thing holding the two together?" AND, a simple ball hitch does nothing to distribute some of the weight from your TV's back axle onto the front axle - giving you much better handling.

I bought a weight distributing hitch with sway control! Even with my WD hitch, my truck's anti-sway feature has kicked in a couple of times while towing in extreme winds.
Old 03-28-2021, 05:58 AM   #9

Thanks to all of you for your responses. Just as I was hoping, I’ve learned something new here. I’ve approved the addition of the Blue Ox SwayPro with my dealer. Hopefully they’ll give me some good instruction on how to properly set it up. If not, I know I have a good place to come to get the answers I need.
Safe travels!
Old 03-28-2021, 06:40 AM   #10
Site Team

Once you get everything loaded for travel, visit a CAT or other certified scale in your area to properly adjust your hitch. Here is a quick overview on how to use a CAT scale.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...v-tt-3871.html

Your dealer may be able to get a close guess at proper hitch adjustment on your new, empty trailer. But, even that will change depending on your final loading once you add your water, food, tools, camping gear, etc. Your fine tuning is best accomplished with true weighs from a certified scale.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Once you get everything loaded for travel, visit a CAT or other certified scale in your area to properly adjust your hitch. Here is a quick overview on how to use a CAT scale.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...v-tt-3871.html

Your dealer may be able to get a close guess at proper hitch adjustment on your new, empty trailer. But, even that will change depending on your final loading once you add your water, food, tools, camping gear, etc. Your fine tuning is best accomplished with true weighs from a certified scale.
Do this. You can also look up KeepYourDaydream on Youtube, he has a great video covering cat scale weighing and a helpful spreadsheet. Also, it's SOOO easy now. Put an app on your phone, and all you do is drive onto the scale, hit a button on your phone, and you get weights on screen and emailed to you, and payment made through paypal or whatever you put into the app. Never have to talk to anyone, can do multiple re-weighs, costs like $20 max even with 3-4 re-weighs.
shortyjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote