Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-28-2020, 09:04 PM   #1

Sway Hitch

On on my first trip towing our x213 300 miles with our 2019 F150 2.7. No problems with power but was slightly disappointed with only getting 10 mpg. I drove a couple of miles over the speed limit and the engine RPMs were normally around either 2,250 in 8th or 1,800 RPM in 9th gear. The real supprise was the amount of sway we experienced. Not dangerous but somewhat annoying. It was seldom that I could see the sway in the mirrors. I do not use a WDH. No sagging on the truck. I don't want to use a WDH because when I used one on a Ram truck towing a 24' camper, it was too easy to spin the tires on wet roads. Ditched the Hitch and no more problems. Suggestions for sway control without a WDH that lightens the weight on rear axle?
Old 02-28-2020, 11:29 PM   #2

I used a friction sway control on my trailer before I switched to a fifth wheel. Worked very good in the heavy wind here in Wyoming.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20200228-222726_Amazon Shopping.jpg  
Shokyle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:19 PM   #3

Why not get a WDH /Sway Bar?
They have purpose.

I could not imagine towing a large trailer with a 1/2 ton JMI
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:06 PM   #4

You need a WDH.

F150's are only rated for 500lbs TW without a WDH. I had a 213 and my TW was around 700lbs.

If you are spinning your tires, you don't have your WDH setup properly. Too much weight distributed to the front tires.

You need a sway bar.

Try towing in 7th gear, lock out 8-10. 7th will keep you out of boost and it is 1:1 drive gear.

I tow in 7th gear and that's where I get my best mileage.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:05 PM   #5

You might look into Andersen hitches, sway and wdh in one. 700 pounds could lighten up your front axel and in an emergency turn or stop you can get a realllllly rude awakening.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 11:38 PM   #6

Couple thoughts,

Fuel mileage is about what I expect.

You can buy a friction swaybar. Downside of these units, you must disconnect them, every time you backup, did I mention everytime, even 1 foot. Or you will bend the unit.

Your 213, is the same size and weight as my 23B. I would not tow without my WDH engaged. I have spun my tires a few times. Usually on very wet grass, or backing up a good hill on loose gravel. Spin will happen with the right condition.

I strongly recommend stopping by a CAT scale fully load, full of fuel, cargo, people. Take two measurements (3 if you have a wdh). One measurement just the tv, and another fully hooked up. This will give you an idea what your numbers are. Compare this to you yellow sticker on the drivers door jam, and determine your tongue weight ratio.

You do not mention if your 1st trip was on your way home empty or fully loaded.

If empty, with your rear slide, you might have been nose light. Which can cause a sway condition.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 11:37 AM   #7

WDH is a must for your setup for the reasons others have already stated. Try the Andersen WDH for both weight distribution and excellent sway control. If you lighten the rear end too much, just turn the nuts a half turn the other way to plant it again.

I pulled two different rear bed slide trailers with my Ecoboost F150 and an Andersen. It is lightweight and easy to adjust/dial-in.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
You might look into Andersen hitches, sway and wdh in one. 700 pounds could lighten up your front axel and in an emergency turn or stop you can get a realllllly rude awakening.
^^^^THIS, would be perfect for your rig.

If you were spinning tires with your Dodge, you had the spring bars to tight taking too much weight off of the rear tires.

I agree with Roger your truck and trailer without a WDH is not a good way to tow in an emergency.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 02:03 PM   #9
Site Team

X3 on the Andersen suggestion. Perfect for your application and extremely easy to adjust to your needs.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:27 PM   #10

OK, I got back home. Less crosswinds and both grey and black water tanks were at least half full. No swaying this time. The truck drove, stopped, and turned very well. That doesn't mean I think everything is OK. I'll look into you suggestions. Thank you all.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:47 PM   #11

SWAY away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sach7581 View Post
OK, I got back home. Less crosswinds and both grey and black water tanks were at least half full. No swaying this time. The truck drove, stopped, and turned very well. That doesn't mean I think everything is OK. I'll look into you suggestions. Thank you all.
First, where are the tanks? Are they in front of the axle? Let's see, assuming 40 gallon gray, that is 160 lbs...add the black, another 160 lbs. That is 320 EXTRA lbs you really didn't need to add to the tow vehicle. It also cuts into the weight rating for cargo.
I switched to an Anderson because I was tired of having to take the Reese sway control off the UF WD hitch. I traded a 2015 F150 last April. With two different trailers and a bar type wd hitch the tail would wag the dog...frequently. I never got to test the Anderson on the Ford, but it made a significant difference on the 2019 Ram which was re-acquired by FCA.
In the last two days, I have towed a little over 750 miles with the Anderson, the Titan and the 23RL. Mostly into a headwind, but crossing the White Sands, had a STRONG crosswind on the right front. (Been getting 8.7-8.9 mpg) Had some gusts upward of 50 mpg. The cross wind did not require steering input to 'right the ship', merely momentary correction to stay in the lane on US 70. Vehicles overtaking from the rear no longer 'push me around'. Granted, the Titan is a 6,000 lb vehicle, vs the Ford at 4,9500 and the Ram at 5,400 BUT...the driving experience is vastly different, more relaxed in the Titan...and an unexpected bonus. I already knew I was 'gaining' 2,000 lb tow capacity over the Ford, and 900 lbs over the Hemi equipped Ram.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 06:39 PM   #12

My reluctance on the WDH was because my truck bumper only drops a couple of inches when I hook up. That's what it is suppose to drop with a WHD. NEVERTHELESS, you've about got me convinced to go check an Andersen out.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:16 PM   #13

Quote:
My reluctance on the WDH was because my truck bumper only drops a couple of inches when I hook up. That's what it is suppose to drop with a WHD. NEVERTHELESS, you've about got me convinced to go check an Andersen out.
Glad you are looking at options. It isn't just the rear sag. You want the steering axle planted when driving. You don't want the headlights aimed up. You want the hitch designed for 500 undistributed to function properly.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:56 PM   #14

Quote:
I usually set mine up to drop the FRONT axle half what the rear goes down when hooked up. Without WD, you get Zero weight transfer, and lift the front wheels lightening the load. I used a WD on a 2012 Jayflight SLX 185 RB, which is about three feet shorter than yours and an AC in the wall instead of on the roof.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:54 AM   #15

I love my Equal-i-zer WDH.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 01:40 PM   #16

I have the x213 and tow with 2018 f150 3.5 with equalizer wdh and I can’t even tell I’m pulling anything.
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 02:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shokyle1 View Post
I used a friction sway control on my trailer before I switched to a fifth wheel. Worked very good in the heavy wind here in Wyoming.
I use the same Curt sway bars on my 23 foot rlsw model and am very happy with them. All but eliminate any sway.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:48 PM   #18

You should feel lucky to get 10 mpg , most people with your set up only get 8 mpg.
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:11 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
I have the x213 and tow with 2018 f150 3.5 with equalizer wdh and I can’t even tell I’m pulling anything.
I have the same truck and a 24RBS with a blue ox and I can't tell there is a camper behind me. The truck itself is amazing for towing and add the blue ox is quiet and so easy to use and you do not need to unhook WDH to back up! Love it.
marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:01 AM   #20

SWAY away

Quote:
On on my first trip towing our x213 300 miles with our 2019 F150 2.7. No problems with power but was slightly disappointed with only getting 10 mpg. I drove a couple of miles over the speed limit and the engine RPMs were normally around either 2,250 in 8th or 1,800 RPM in 9th gear. The real supprise was the amount of sway we experienced. Not dangerous but somewhat annoying. It was seldom that I could see the sway in the mirrors. I do not use a WDH. No sagging on the truck. I don't want to use a WDH because when I used one on a Ram truck towing a 24' camper, it was too easy to spin the tires on wet roads. Ditched the Hitch and no more problems. Suggestions for sway control without a WDH that lightens the weight on rear axle?
Your hitch weight it 450 lbs OR MORE! You are dragging around 5,500 lbs and don't have weight distribution because of wheel spin?? Who set your previous hitch up?

The VERY FIRST STEP of setting up a WD hitch is determining receiver height. Camping World did not set mine up properly and I had to raise the hitch 4 inches from my previous trailer. Then I traded trucks, had to move it again. The tongue on the trailer and the hitch on the tv MUST BE MATCHED and both vehicles level with the tv ball about an inch to inch and a half HIGH before making any more adjustments.

No matter what kind of WD hitch you use, the next step is critical. Measure the drop of the tv with the trailer attached. As you distribute the weight, the FRONT axle will compress. My 2018 Nissan Titan is compresses 3.75 inches with 595 lb tongue weight. The front end RAISES two full inches. That geometry removes steering and control weight from the front tires. (I estimate somewhere around 600 lbs) I have to make seven 'turns' on my Anderson to correct, elevate rear end two inches (1.75 inch compression) and lower the FRONT by THREE inches from the loaded unequalized height. I have NEVER had wheelspin on any properly equalized truck. I use the tongue jack to help 'lift' the rig while adjusting.

It may take 'fiddling' with the adjustments, but it will make you a safer motorist. If you are 'nose up' while towing, the rear trailer axle is doing more work. If you are 'nose down', you run the risk of 'high centering' or worse, upset the fore/aft loading balance. If you don't equalize given the trailer you have, you pose a real hazard to your fellow motorists.

Now sway: Once equalized the 'sway' issue if more than 50% solved. Getting an Anderson hitch solves it for good. As recently as last week I towed from my home near Clarendon, Tx to Scottsdale, Az, in headwind/crosswind, even across the White Sands without any sway. And I never drive over 65 mph towing. Averaged 9.6 mpg over 900 miles. And my former 2015 F150 2.7eb only got 10 mpg, less when going faster.