Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-31-2015, 07:26 PM   #1

Switch to LT tires

I am currently tire shopping. The truck currently has p metric tires on it. I am looking at putting some LT tires on. The combo feels pretty good generally, but there is just a bit of wiggle at times. LT E tires are way over kill for my truck, but there aren't too many options in my tire size it seems. I would have to figure out the correct tire pressure to use, and I am also concerned about the TPMS showing an over pressure condition. I absolutely hate lights being on the dash. I need to if the dealer will reprogram, should I go that route. Anyone went from p to lt tires that can comment on tow improvements and what to do with the TPMS?

I stopped by a tire dealer today. He priced me a set of Hercules branded tires. Anyone heard of them? I saw mixed reviews online, but overall favorable. It appears they are made by Cooper, but where is the question. They weren't all that much cheaper than a better known name brand tire I am looking at currently.

jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:41 PM   #2

What kind of truck do you have, and what type of tire are you looking for: a/t, highway, mud, etc?

What is your stock size?

Our last truck, '10 Silverado 1500 CCSB 4x4, I put a set Cooper A/T3's on, 275/65/18 LR C. The stock Bridgstone Duehler's had the famous p rated "wiggle", once I put the A/T3's on the "wiggle" was gone, truck felt firm for a 1500 towing ~7200lbs/~920lbs tw (last I knew- didn't weigh it after adding a little tw). Never was in mud, but the tires performed great in everything else! Dry, wet, & snow, never felt the tires were lacking in any way. Plus they have a 55k mi warranty!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:08 PM   #3

I am looking at General Grabber AT2 tires. Size will be 275/65 18 on an '09 Silverado ccsb 1500. I also have the Bridgestone Duelers, pulling a camper a little lighter, around 6800 lbs, and I know the wiggle of which you speak. It is good to read your experience with a similar truck pulling a similar load.

What air pressure did you use? Did you have to get the TPMS reprogrammed, or did you just live with it? I know it trips a warning around 52 psi as we got a high pressure warning towing one time. May not even need to air the tires up enough to be close to that point though.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:25 PM   #4

In that size I would highly recommend the Coopers. Unless the Generals have a mileage warranty also.

Forgot to mention the tpms, sorry! Lol I ran the rears at 50psi cold, fronts were.... 40 or 45ish??? It's been 2 yrs so I don't remember exactly. BUT.... I never had any tpms lights come on that I can recall!

Old 08-31-2015, 08:38 PM   #5

The Generals list a 60k mile warranty, but disclaimer says it excludes LT sizes. Have to check into the reasoning for that. I like the price point of the Generals, but if they won't warranty the LT tires it makes me wonder.

Stock size is 265/65 18, very limited options in anything but a p metric tire.

I may price the Coopers as well to see what the price difference is, if minimal then may go with the Coopers. I have a list of tires I am checking into and the at3 Coopers were on that list.

Tires are round pieces of rubber, it shouldn't be this hard of a decision.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:08 PM   #6

Unless different now, BFG had the AT's available in the stock size back when I was shopping, but they were considerably MORE than what the 275/65/18's were! But then the A/T3's were (I think) about $300 cheaper then the BGF's, plus the mileage warranty, even for the LT's.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:45 PM   #7

The E rated tires are not way over kill because of the handling performance increase. If you drive even a little bit aggressively or tow in the mountain the additional cost will be worth it. Besides if I am sharing the road you will be more relaxed driving have control and will not be crowding my lane. Think of it as buying a cushion of safety.
Old skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:54 AM   #8

Run the E's. It may be a bit over kill, but the savings between a LR C and E normally are minimal and E

As far as the TPMS, you may have to deal with the light being on if you want to get the max carrying capacity of the tires. I would run them at MAX PSI when towing (at least the rears) and for all other times, run them at what the door sticker says.

TPMS is much more sensitive today than they ever have been. As far as I know, most systems are programmed to what the door sticker recommends +/- a few PSI. Going from 35psi to 80psi will likely cause the light to come on. I really don't know if they are able to have the programming changed

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:59 AM   #9

Its not a iron clad endorsement but the guy who sold me Hercules TT tires yesterday at a higher end tire place said he had them on his personal trailer 2 years of driving to racetracks and he had no problems. As you noted, made by cooper. Its always a bit of a crap shoot with tires, reading reviews, etc and then you have to live with them for a long time. Good luck with TV tires.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:59 PM   #10

Changed from P Metric to LTs on my 2010 GMC 1500 last year. Felt a little 'Stiff' coming off the tire dealer's lot but was enjoying them before I made it home (about 9 miles). It's not overkill, it's what the Manufacturers & Dealers should be putting on any PU that has any type of Tow package. I put on the Cooper A/T3's. Ride was significantly better overall, Towing much firmer with less wiggle. Do not hesitate to upgrade to LTs.
TPMS was easy to update on the 2010, never had tire light go on in the Dash. Not sure about the 09

I'm still kicking myself for not taking them off when I traded in the truck in April. Running 20" Toyo LT tire now. I would never buy or go back to a P tire on a truck again.

RSerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote