Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2017, 06:01 AM   #1

The best backing up how-to video I've seen yet

Sorry in advance if this video was already posted. I am fairly good at backing up my camper and I have my DZ license (Ontario Dump-truck, etc.), but I just stumbled across this video while looking for advice on setting up my brake controller.

Very impressive, and I think I learned a few things. The only thing I partially disagree with is when he advises not to use a spotter. Although I agree a spotter can be frustrating (or spotters when other campers come out to give advice when backing into a really tight one), I think if your spotter is educated in advance on what you need to do and what the plan is they can be a big help.

For sure I'm going to have SWMBO watch this video, and might even have her try some of this. At the very least it will help her when spotting for me.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:05 AM   #2

I agree with you. Having a clued-in spotter can be very helpful when backing.

A pair of eyes actually located 50' back plus clear hand signals:
1) Pointing in the direction the back end of the trailer has to go
2) Stop.

Then the ability to communicate clearly and without blame where things have to go next.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:21 AM   #3

Another bad one can be a spotter who "knows what their doing" and starts trying to direct your steering, rather than the trailer.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:51 AM   #4
PMC

When doing the back up maneuvers I grip the wheel at the bottom rather than the top. That way I turn it which ever way I want to go. Right from the bottom turns the trailer right, etc.

Regarding spotters, my wife is pretty good, she just tells me where I'm at and not how to get there. I find having her in the spot where we store our unit is invaluable as she watches how close I am to the mirror on the diesel pusher that parks next to us. I could do it on my own but I like having her back there as it's my blind side and have no visual.

Good ideas in this video though, he knows what he's doing and confirmed that I'm not a total nimrod in how I drive with my trailer.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:32 PM   #5

Excellent video.......I was hoping he would do a serpentine backing exercise too. Watched many a student wash out on that exercise for their CDL.

and by all means, your wife, significant other, partner, better half...whatever should be able to accomplish these manuevers as well....accidents happen. I watched a couple pulling a 5er in one evening. The guy set it up perfect, got the back end in and had straightened it up. Got out to check (G.O.A.L), stepped out on the runner board of his F350 duely, his second step coming down was half on and half off the pavement with about an 8" drop at the edge to the ground (rut from previous failed attempts by campers).....lost his balance, fell in a turning motion and ended up with spiral fracture of his shin bone. His wife had never backed the rig, she hadn't even driven the rig. I got it backed in for them and got the trailer leveled and set up to unhitch the truck by time the medics got there and transported him to the hospital. She was able to follow them in the truck.......only after they left did we all realize that their 2 retrievers were still secured to a tree on the site. I can assure you....it gets cramped in a pop up (mine) with 4 retriever sized dogs and one human.....good thing my wife wasn't arriving until the next evening. She came back the next morning, told me about the spiral fracture, surgery and that their son was flying in the next day to drive the rig back home to Maine.

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 01:24 PM   #6

Great video. Thanks for posting. I'd like to see a fifth wheel version of this.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 01:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifespalette View Post
...and by all means, your wife, significant other, partner, better half...whatever should be able to accomplish these manuevers as well....accidents happen
I know this from experience as well. My father always drove when towing their camper, until he had a (minor) stroke and they pulled his driver's license for close to a year. He got it back, but in the mean time it meant no camping or someone towing it for them.

I have an uncle who NEVER even offers to let my aunt drive (who is a perfectly capable driver) and I'm afraid they're in for a shock if he ever can't drive for whatever reason.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:56 AM   #8

Great video.

2011 Jayflight X213
2011 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
fochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:18 AM   #9

I feel honored that my video made it here!

I knew I'd catch flak for my comments on the use of spotters. What I was trying to say is that the driver shouldn't require a spotter to safely back a trailer. My wife will get out sometimes and give me a STOP signal if I'm close to hitting something. I personally can't stand it when somebody wants to tell me when to turn the wheels and in which direction.

I'm not a very experienced video editor, ect, so I may not have made my point very clear haha.

When I originally tested for my CDL I had to do the serpentine, but it's not a requirement anymore sadly.

If anyone wants to loan me their 5th wheel I'd be more than happy to do another video

I did recently get my wife to pull the trailer forward, I'm sure with time and patience I'll get her to try it going backwards. https://youtu.be/0A2fV6DzFIw
Kc8yhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:05 AM   #10

Thumbs up Nicely done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kc8yhk View Post
I feel honored that my video made it here!
Outstanding video! Thanks for sharing. There's always something to glean from the experience of others.

While I considered myself quite proficient backing our old 27' TT (for the past 6 seasons without a snafu) I'm finding our new 38' TT a little more cumbersome to deal with. That extra 11' behind a crew cab dually adds just enough to make the level of difficulty a bit higher. Your video reminded me the principles are the same regardless of length. For that I am appreciative.

Lastly, I don't use a spotter either for the same reasons you mention. I don't mind using "GOAL" as much as necessary. It simply works.

PS> Subscribed.
spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:20 AM   #11

This is a fantastic video and confirms my suspicions that in the 5+ years I've been backing up my 23B that I really have no idea what I'm doing.

I think having a spotter is helpful but you have to be able to do it on your own. I'll sometimes go camping with just me and one of the kids, or go setup the camper before everyone else arrives, and in that case I have no choice but to make sure I am my own eyes and ears.

Excellent video, I've watched and re-watched the section starting around the 19:00 mark more than a couple of times already!
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote